PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine Lamp

stevo81
10th July 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi All, here is the first lamp i have made since high school. it was a bit of an adventure for me, i started to make a vase with plans to hollow it but there was a very soft section that meant by the time i had turned it down far enough to find solid timber there was not enough thickness left to hollow it....not at my skill level :B. after applying the finish and drilling the hole for the power cord i was parting it off the lathe and forgot about the hole. it came flying off the lathe and hit everything it could on the way to the floor :o:o:o after remounting and fixing the damage it came up pretty well.

thanks for looking

stevo

Ad de Crom
11th July 2011, 07:09 PM
Very pretty lamp, still I'm seeing the possibility of a shape of a vase
Ad :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2011, 11:22 AM
Looks good. :2tsup:
One thing to note is the problem with tall & thin is that it is easy to topple, slightest bump or breeze through an open window will stand it on its ear.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2011, 01:01 PM
Nicely done, sirrah!

after applying the finish and drilling the hole for the power cord i was parting it off the lathe and forgot about the hole. it came flying off the lathe and hit everything it could on the way to the floor

:rotfl: Sorry. But I thought I was the only one who did things like that!?

bellyup
15th July 2011, 01:08 PM
G'day Steve,
Good effort, I like the finish. I agree with Cliff about toppling over - maybe you could turn a base in some contrasting wood to attach to the bottom?

stevo81
15th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your kind words. i did look at turning some sort of a base for it but couldnt decide on a contrasting timber and was worried it would take the focus away from the natural flaws in the Huon. it is fairly heavy at the base but i havent had it near an open window to see if it falls over :p.

any suggestions on a contrasting timber?

stevo

bellyup
16th July 2011, 08:48 AM
If it was me I'd take a look at Redgum - plain, solid colour - keep the design simple with no coves or the like and it shouldn't detract from the Huon. Two iconic Aussie timbers!
Bruce.