PDA

View Full Version : overhaul is complete and tested

hughie
12th July 2011, 01:08 PM
The Woodfast overhaul is finally done and it has come up well. Slightly modified from its original condition. It now has a 1hp 3 phase motor as opposed to the 1/2hp before and I have fitted a German Lenze VSD with a magnetic base remote speed control. Not a major necessity on a lathe this size, but never the less a handy extra. Its green as this is the colour it came with and I managed to match it fairly close with a Hammertone finish.

Runs well, the belt is a bit sqeaky, no doubt, 12 months of sitting idle has something to do with it. The bowl on it is a fair size 300mmx100mm or 12"x4" and it looks like it can handle a bigger blank, not bad for lathe this size.

Thought of jacking up the Headstock and Tail stock 50mm. But decided against it as it would have been a major hassle dealing with 50mm plate in my workshop.

Looking around, regretfully I shall have to sell it, as I found that when the shed was erected I had 6 lathes :doh: 5 wood and 1 metal turning lathe. Along with a bandsaw, two grinders, sundry polishers, drop saw and three lathes theres not much room left for all the small stuff like chainsaws,sundry other power tools, bowls drying, blanks etc. Hmm I guess the dusty will have to go outside, my neighbours will love that :U

cookie48
12th July 2011, 01:19 PM
Looks very well done. Why put 3 phase motor on? Gee how much more machinery do you need?

gidgee 1
12th July 2011, 01:19 PM
So whats with all the margarine stored in the shed?
Get rid of that and keep the toys:2tsup:
Cheers
gidgee 1

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2011, 01:25 PM
.... Why put 3 phase motor on?...?
To work with the VSD.

You can get a VSD to run off single phase.

Paul39
12th July 2011, 01:42 PM
Hughie,

Very nicely done! :2tsup:

Why the red guard over the spindle nose?

I have a 1995 20 inch swing short bed, as you may recall from my previous ravings.

Mine has a 1.5 HP DC variable speed.

joe greiner
12th July 2011, 09:32 PM
Nice. Very nice.

How does the indexing work, so far from the ends of the headstock housing?

Cheers,
Joe

RETIRED
12th July 2011, 09:52 PM
Nice. Very nice.

How does the indexing work, so far from the ends of the headstock housing?

Cheers,
JoeIt has a spring loaded pin from the other side of the spindle. It is hidden by the bowl, chuck and spindle cover.

This is a later model, The arrow shows where it is on most models.

joe greiner
12th July 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks .

Cheers,
Joe

China
12th July 2011, 11:52 PM
Red guard is per school regulatioin, same as the stupid anti kick back fingers that have to fitted to school thicknesser's

Poloris
13th July 2011, 11:09 AM
Nicely done.
The spray can in picture 2 was inconveniently turned away from the camera.
What brand of paint and colour did you use?
Mark.

hughie
13th July 2011, 12:14 PM
a few more pics to answer some of the questions jpg 8&9 show the indexing lock set up, it was missing so had to build another. The other is more of the OHS school guarding requirements. The front one has to come off to fit a chuck other wise I leave the back one on in case the grandkids turn up, little fingers and all

Paint is White Knight Hammertone, three coats and left for a few weeks to harden up, it came up very well.:2tsup:

VSD allows me to have a variable speed drive 0- to whatever I set it to, although Its not wise to drive the motor over say 70 hertz as they are not designed for real high speeds. Three phase if I understand it correctly gives me more torque and greater efficiency of power used. No I am not a greeny just trying keep more dollars in my pocket. :U

Margerine boxes hold all my other tools waiting to be un packed. Flat work tools, power tools etc about 40 boxes all told.:o :D

Machinery, well its a bit of a hobby to go along with my other hobbies :U Designing and building my own lathes and lathe tools, plus wood turning. So I use what I make and the process of design and improvement goes all the time. What ever I am building there is usually another on the drawing board somewhere. :U

wheelinround
13th July 2011, 02:50 PM
:doh: didn't see this thread 1st commented in the for sale one lovely job Hughie a credit to you.

as per other thread

Morse Taper? & Spindle thread?