PDA

View Full Version : A new chuck

Bellas Nebular
14th July 2011, 07:43 PM
Hi guys I m getting a HAFCO WOODMASTER - Wood Lathe - 1100mm, mostly to make bowls and vases for my new wife. I'm unsure if all chucks will fit all lathes and or if a 200 mm chuck can go from 0 - 200 mm, making it a smarter buy than a smaller chuck?

-------
Bellas Nebular

Jim Carroll
14th July 2011, 09:12 PM
A Vicmarc VM100 chuck (http://cws.au.com/shop/item/vicmarc-vm100-scroll-chuck) will do all you want on that size lathe.

There is a good range of jaws that can be fitted to do larger and smaller work

joe greiner
14th July 2011, 11:18 PM
The travel range for VM100 is closer to 44mm. Four sets should be sufficient, beginning with pin jaws. For largest size, Cole-type jaws have movable buttons to fill any gaps in the range.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
15th July 2011, 10:08 AM
[Hi guys I m getting a HAFCO WOODMASTER - Wood Lathe - 1100mm, mostly to make bowls and vases for my new wife. I'm unsure if all chucks will fit all lathes and or if a 200 mm chuck can go from 0 - 200 mm, making it a smarter buy than a smaller chuck?

-------
Bellas Nebular,
It wont be a hassle at all, all major chuck makers will have an adapter to fit your lathe. When you place your order, you specify the adapter per chuck and lathe, bingo your in business.

0-200 is not a real requirement as in metal turning, wood turning chucks are designed to grab tenons and to get around the muiltiple need of different sizes they have different jaws.

I use Teknatool SN2 chucks as they have inter-changable jaws with all chucks except the Titan range. What a lot of us do is to have several chucks with differing jaws to meet our own individual requirements.

Have a chat to Jim Carroll about your requirements etc and you'll get sound advice and good service. He uses what he sells. :2tsup: