PDA

View Full Version : Miniature spindle gouge

Tiger
25th July 2011, 01:13 PM
I need a spindle gouge to get into some tight places and help me create some small finials. I have made some miniature tools before including a skew, captive ring tool and a small gouge all out of concrete/masonry nails. Am happy with the first two but the gouge was hard work, used an angle-grinder, it took a long time but I find it doesn't keep an edge very well. So anyone here made a small gouge? If so, how well do you think it works and how did you make it particularly the groove in the tool?

wheelinround
25th July 2011, 02:48 PM
Tiger where's the photos of said tools :p
What steel where you using or was it also just a nail?

I use HSS from McJings to make the tiny bowl gouge. OR you can use and old phillips screwdriver. When grinding keep the tool cool you may have to heat treat it again.

Tiger
25th July 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Wheelin,

Don't know if the tools are worth even taking photos of. They are masonry nails stuck into bits of redgum and then shaped into various profiles.

Regarding the old phillips screwdriver, I wonder how well it holds its edge?

wheelinround
25th July 2011, 03:16 PM
Tiger no excuses

The phillips works well we use one with the micro lathe at OTGA demos, after all it is tool steel and tools steel can be heat treated to take it to better quality.

Or the other one is an old Tap (threading type) grove is already ground.

sjm
25th July 2011, 04:01 PM
HSS drill bits in differing diameters, and a Dremel tool with various milling and grinding bits to shape it. Maintains an edge just like any other HSS chisel.

issatree
25th July 2011, 04:34 PM
Hi Tiger,
As sjm said, get the drill you want & drill into the steel that's going to hold the drill & leave it there. Silver Solder it in, Sharpen it finger nail style, then turn it over & Sharpen a longish Flat on it at 30Deg. ? & you have a small Skewchigouge.
It has been written up in " Woodturning " No. 60, I think.
They work really well, as I have used them for quite a few years now, in various sizes.
You don't really need the hollow up the centre.
When Sharpening, don't hit the Wheel to hard & you wont have to reheat the end.

Tiger
25th July 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks SJM and Issatree, I did read somewhere that with drill bits the shank is not heat treated and that only the other end was.

SJM, I have a Dremel and I have some bits and pieces, just need to check that they will do the job on HSS.

tea lady
25th July 2011, 05:22 PM
I bought an unhandled miniature gouge from McJing's ! Works better and quicker than fluffing about trying to save money. :doh: You still get to make your own handle! :U

Tiger
25th July 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Tea Lady, did you buy the gouge over the Internet or at Woodworking show?

hughie
25th July 2011, 05:28 PM
The simplest way I know is, to choose your rod or gouge diameter thats required. Then drill a hole dead centre as deep as you require, now you have a blind hole or a short tube in the end of your shaft.

Now the diameter of the hole you drill is up to you, but you should be aiming at least a 1-1.5mm wall thickness as a minimum. I prefer 2mm and up to 3mm for the slightly larger ones

File the top off the tube till you have your gouge. Harden and temper, gently grind your favourite grind and away you go.

Probably the best steel available to you is silver steel which is readily available and is heat treated by quenching in water etc.

In the USA its called drill rod steel pretty much the same stuff. If you want any further info on how to heat treat the silver steel I can post it here.

tea lady
25th July 2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Tea Lady, did you buy the gouge over the Internet or at Woodworking show?
I bought it at the WW Show But they are on line too aren't they? :hmm:

DavidG
25th July 2011, 06:02 PM
From my wish list (http://www.carbatec.com.au/hamlet-5-piece-reversible-micro-woodturning-set_c14070)

jefferson
25th July 2011, 06:28 PM
You can also try one of the Sorby mini-chisels - great steel - for under $40, available from Jim Carroll's:

CWS Store - Robert Sorby Mini Tools | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-robert-sorby-mini-tools)

_fly_
25th July 2011, 06:37 PM
You can get HSS blank steel of various widths and length at berwick market, Up the back in front of the tin shed, Opposite the remote car tent. Things like 1/4 inch sq and 7 inch long for 5 bucks. 1/8 inch sq, 1/8 by 1/4 etc I've used then and they seem ok. Seeing your in eastern suburbs, worth a sunday market trip. have a coffee and a scone while your there.

dai sensei
25th July 2011, 11:24 PM
I have quite a few from concrete nails, but for the skew and gouges I used McJing's, see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/new-mini-turning-chisels-97427/). Hold an edge pretty well.

orraloon
26th July 2011, 12:44 AM
I got a small bowl gouge and a spindle gouge in HSS from McJings. Unhandled. 20 something bucks each so why bother making them.
Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
26th July 2011, 09:35 AM
McJings have a 3mm Spindle Gouge for $16
Part Number 120273-140 3 x 55 x 140mm M2 High Speed Steel.
McJING Tools Online (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=652)

jimbur
26th July 2011, 11:05 AM
I bought some assorted pieces on Ebay. Eight for about eleven dollars of various sizes, some square others round section. Try searching under Hss blanks.
Cheers,
Jim

tea lady
26th July 2011, 05:52 PM
I got a small bowl gouge and a spindle gouge in HSS from McJings. Unhandled. 20 something bucks each so why bother making them.
Regards
John
They are under $20. And he has furrels(my lack of spelling strikes again! :doh:) as well.:cool:

jefferson
26th July 2011, 06:22 PM
I reckon the hard question is not where to buy the mini chisels (brand etc) but how you are going to sharpen them. Those little 6mm gouges seem to deserve wet stone grinder treatment.

tea lady
26th July 2011, 06:44 PM
I reckon the hard question is not where to buy the mini chisels (brand etc) but how you are going to sharpen them. Those little 6mm gouges seem to deserve wet stone grinder treatment.Yes! They do tend to disappear rather quickly on a spark grinder! And how to hold 'em in a jig is another problem! :doh:

dai sensei
26th July 2011, 10:14 PM
I reckon the hard question is not where to buy the mini chisels (brand etc) but how you are going to sharpen them. Those little 6mm gouges seem to deserve wet stone grinder treatment.

yep

Yes! They do tend to disappear rather quickly on a spark grinder! And how to hold 'em in a jig is another problem! :doh:

I do them by hand and by eye, but you can use jig with suitable spacer and adjust angles to suit

orraloon
26th July 2011, 11:44 PM
I have a white wheel on my grinder and sharpen free hand with the rest set for the desired angle. The small spindle gouge sharpened at the same angle as the others works fine.
I am not having the same success with the small bowl gouge and so far have got it cuting but not as good as I would like. I guess it will have to be done by hand on a finer stone.
Regards
John

Tiger
27th July 2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys, I think it'll pay me to just buy the gouges even though I enjoy making tools wherever possible. Thanks Cliff for putting down the item number, I've only had limited experience with McJings and wasn't impressed as they sold me the wrong product, much easier if I have a product number to refer them to.

rodent
30th July 2011, 12:09 AM
Grind the top ( laying it flat ) off a hollow push rod out of a car , go and see your mechanic an see if he has any bent ones . They are quite hard and when you grind it grind off the ball end first , shine a light inside and grind off the section were the tube has been joined .You should get 2 per pushrod .:2tsup: Ps after you have ground and shaped them use a diamond file to sharpen them and to keep sharp . Any thing smaller than that get some tool steel from Mc jing tools and go for it .
http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=75#15%C2%B0HOLDER&CUTTER