PDA

View Full Version : turning kapur

kraits
26th July 2011, 12:09 AM
hi, has anyone out there turned kapur before? what kind of finish could i expect with it? will i get a polished finish on the lathe with emery cloth? i usally use jarrah for handles but was only able to get kapur today, i know its a lot lighter in colour but just not sure on the quality of finish i will get.

TTIT
26th July 2011, 10:09 PM
Doesn't look like anyone has had a go at it :shrug: The info on this link (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5423.htm) sounds like it would be OK to use - send me a chunk and I'll let you know what it's like :;:U

Scott
26th July 2011, 10:42 PM
Doesn't look like anyone has had a go at it :shrug: The info on this link (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5423.htm) sounds like it would be OK to use - send me a chunk and I'll let you know what it's like :;:U

Cheeky! And I want to know what Radiata is like to turn, I'll send you a bit :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th July 2011, 11:15 PM
Haven't turned it, no... 'cos I haven't seen it in any decent size in years.

But some 30 odd years ago I worked as a moulder operator in a joinery and we used exclusively Meranti & Kapur. (Oh, the days before we turned green and started worrying about imported timbers. :roll:)

Kapur was the timber of choice for door-sills, being very durable under foot traffic, fine-grained and taking good, clean cuts with crisp edges straight out of the machines. 'Twas a bugger on the knife blades though...

... so I imagine it'd turn comparable to our Cooktown Ironwood. Hard on the tools but the results well worth it.

(I also vaguely remember it as being oily and tending to stain the hands. And the splinters were a bugger for infecting. But much of the timber was still fairly green and sappy and shouldn't have been used. Although it was; some things haven't changed. :~)

kraits
27th July 2011, 02:40 AM
thanks for the reply's, after reading that it doesnt sound any worse then turning myall, which i have loads of out here, hard as hell on the tools but the finish on the stuff is worth it, just a pain in the you know what trying to find a good straight peice.