PDA

View Full Version : Cheap smoked fish

cookie48
31st July 2011, 09:51 PM
My bro in law is a keen fisherman. He asked what I do with my dust and left over turnings. After a bit of discussion it was ageed that I supply him with my lathe left overs and he will catch and smoke the fish. :2tsup:
I have got a heap of sandwich bags and hold one on the lathe with a rare earth magnet and place all the left overs from turning into it.:D
May be a new market for turners to look at.
What do you members think of that?
Cookie

Scott
1st August 2011, 12:10 AM
I use my sawdust for mulch however add nitrogen to the bag before I do, it aids decomposition. Cant see any problem with using sawdust in the smoking process however not sure how fish smoked with something like Camphor, Cedar or Huon would turn out?

To answer your question though, sounds like a good idea however I think the sawdust would have to be more 'pure' than a heinz variety that us turners put out. I have a bloke up the road who supplies sawdust in bulk and he rejected my offer of sawdust outright. All sawdust is classified into grit size and purity and is mostly pine.

Best for the garden me thinks.

cookie48
1st August 2011, 12:13 AM
Each turning gets its own bag. Have big mixed bag out back so will try your compost thingy with that.

Scott
1st August 2011, 12:25 AM
Make sure you use a decent amount of nitrogen as sawdust has none and could potentially starve your plants.

Was just thinking, I wonder what type of timber they use for smoking fish? Goes to Google...

This website sums it up for you:

How to smoke fish (http://hotbite.com.au/content/fishing_articles_wa/?artid=324&thePage=3&form_speciesid=%7C%7C&form_locationid=&form_techid=%7C%7C&catid=2&title=How-to-smoke-fish)

Maybe you could try fishing shops with bagged sawdust? I'm starting to like your idea!

gtwilkins
1st August 2011, 07:01 AM
I seem to stay with apple, alder and cherry for smoking salmon, I only use a little bit of wood/dust as it is easy to overpower the taste of the fish.

You can also plank fish on a cedar board to cook them over an open fire. Soak the cedar in a pail of water then fasten the fishie skin side to the plank and then prop them around the fire to grill. This is red or yellow cedar here on the west coast.

Pork tastes good smoked with apple and pecan, hickory and mesquite are good for red meats but I don't think you get those kinds of wood in Australia or do you?

Trevor

bench1holio
1st August 2011, 07:57 AM
i save all my gidgee shavings for smoking my fish, the smoke has a real sweet spicey smell and leaves a similar flavour.

TTIT
1st August 2011, 09:00 AM
i save all my gidgee shavings for smoking my fish, the smoke has a real sweet spicey smell and leaves a similar flavour.Remind me never to taste any of your fish B1H :o. You know the chemical they make 1080 poison from is the very same chemical that gives Gidgee it's distinctive smell :doh:

An old bloke that used to live at Redlynch produced the best home-brew and smoked fish I've ever had but I'm afraid the memory enhancing properties of the home-brew have made sure I don't know what sort of wood he used :B

rodent
2nd August 2011, 08:12 PM
Blue gums nice so is iorn bark , Crasyskew smokes chicken and pork a lot in his smoker .:oo:

Grant Mack
2nd August 2011, 09:52 PM
Biggest problem I've had with smoking fish is keeping my papers dry!

nalmo
6th August 2011, 06:04 PM
I used to have lots of people coming round to my timber yard looking for sawdust for smoking food. Most wanted any aussie hardwoods in preference to softwoods (pine). I smoked some salmon using HW sawdust & it worked a treat.

Placed the sawdust in an envelope of aluminium foil in the bottom of a wok, pricked holes and heated up until smoking. Placed fish on a wire rack and covered with a lid.

cookie48
6th August 2011, 07:54 PM
Finally got around to playing with some Red Gun. Will give bro in law that next. Looking forward to good feed.