PDA

View Full Version : Fish bats

Willy Nelson
31st July 2011, 11:50 PM
Good Evening
Had a request to turn some devices for the purpose of subduing and / or despatching fish when brought into a boat against their will.
I tried a number of designs and timbers. These are approximately 400mm long and fisnished with Organ oil (coz I had it handy).

Almost wrong to use Sheoak and Jarrah, but they do look good. Most WA fish object to being clubbed with a lesser species of timber, only the best for them. :D

Got to thinking though, aside from bowls, chisel handles and other kitchen stuff, what other practical tools are turned? I wouldn't have thought of fish bats until I was asked.

Oh, and the price I charge for each one, is a good feed of fish for the family. :2tsup:

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

cookie48
1st August 2011, 12:11 AM
Boody hell, what are they catching? Whale Sharks? They look good and will do the job for sure.

pommyphil
1st August 2011, 07:12 AM
I made a few out of Ironbark but got complaints that they sank if dropped.

mkypenturner
1st August 2011, 07:18 AM
ive made a few from inland rosewood fence posts 1 hit and they stay hit :D

_fly_
1st August 2011, 08:36 AM
In case you might like to know its called a "PRIEST" look it up. A a small club used to kill fish caught.

oldiephred
1st August 2011, 08:48 AM
I make quite a few similar and they are called coyote sticks. There are a lot of coyotes around here and people like some protection when walking alone or with their dogs.

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2011, 08:48 AM
Used to administer the last rights.

Harry72
1st August 2011, 09:01 AM
The pacifier stick

Other tools, mallets are handy :)

Ed Reiss
1st August 2011, 11:49 AM
Fish hell...a bloke could take out a lot of two legged creatures with those:o

Milo
1st August 2011, 12:04 PM
mate

Although I think your turning skills are very good and I agree they make fine bashing sticks I have been fishing all my life and have never had to resort to bashing them to death......

Try the "brain spiking method" quick, humain......

They would be pretty good for seeing off pirates and those bloody ski lice.....!

:2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
1st August 2011, 12:25 PM
I made some for a mate in Port Augusta and he was told to say they were for checking tyre pressure as the coppers might take a different view :)

mkypenturner
1st August 2011, 05:53 PM
I made some for a mate in Port Augusta and he was told to say they were for checking tyre pressure as the coppers might take a different view :)
:roflmao:

Timbre Surfer
1st August 2011, 10:50 PM
made my son a "baseball bat" (he's 3) out of an old long handled shovel. It got confiscated and made its way to the tinny after he got a bit rambunctious with it. dunno what timber, but the long handled shovel timber stands up to weather and hard.

bellyup
2nd August 2011, 11:47 AM
Willy,
See Tea-Lady - she's looking for mallets.\
P.S.
Spikes might be fine to sedate pan fish but let me tell you - if you have ever had a cranky Spanish Mackerel in your boat - you'll want one of Willy's dongers!