PDA

View Full Version : Madonna and a Couple of Interesting Pieces

ogato
14th August 2011, 09:27 PM
When I put this Camphor Laurel Bowl on display at a local gallery, one of my friends pointed out that there appeared to be a "Madonna" figure on the inside of the bowl. While I'd spent a good deal of time sanding, oiling and inspecting the bowl, I had looked but not seen the apparent head and shoulders in the grain. Might be a bit of a stretch - so let's say it is 'my' Madonna, not necessarily 'the' Madonna.

It was a lovely piece of Camphor - light outside and beautiful rich red/brown colour on the inside, making for the dramatic contrast. Dimensions - 242 x 106 mm

Another couple of interesting bits of wood that also now grace my collection . . . . .

A rootball from an unidentified shrub, which I snaffled from the local dump. It was an ugly, grarly looking mess but it started showing a bit of potential when I roughed it. The rough started to crack, but lots of CA and endcheck seemed to arrest the worst of it. However it was with some trepidation that I put it back on the lathe to have a go at finishing it, suspecting that it might not hold together. More CA and coffee grinds and I was thrilled with the finished article. Dimensions - 153 x 76 mm

My neighbour had a large Tibouchina come down in last years storms in SEQ. It looked big enough, seemed to be some nice grain in the wood so I commandeered the best bits of trunk. This is the largest piece I salvaged - unusual black and yellow spalting in the sapwood. Dimensions 315 x 120 mm. My neighbour gave it as a wedding present to her neice.

Jeff

cookie48
15th August 2011, 12:41 AM
With bit of imagination there is an outline that you could call a lady type figure. As for the other bowls they are nice. You have done well with them.
i like the lot.

dr4g0nfly
15th August 2011, 06:20 AM
I can definitely see her - fantastic bit of figure and (luck) to extract.

The thin natural edged bowl is equally good,

well done.

Ozkaban
15th August 2011, 08:59 AM
My favourite is the thin natural edged bowl. That would have taken some daring to get it like that. Well done :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

smiife
15th August 2011, 07:55 PM
hi ogato
i like all 3 ,maybe the first is the best ,my favourite timber too!
and i think it is the back of madonna's head !!!!!!!!:roll::roll::roll:
:2tsup:well done great job
regards smiife

Harry72
16th August 2011, 01:46 AM
Thats not Madonna... Its Etsio from Assasins Creed!

TTIT
16th August 2011, 09:54 AM
Dunno about the Madonna bit but the bowl looks fine. Maybe you should put it on ebay - didn't someone make thousands off a chunk of toast for the same thing once :shrug:
I like the way the rootball has deformed on the second piece - gives it an ancient look :2tsup: .