PDA

View Full Version : Bushes for CA polishing

plantagenon
23rd August 2011, 06:55 PM
I just received the bushes in the photo from Penturners Products in the United States. They are professionally made to a high quality and I'm looking forward to using them on the weekend as I have a few blanks lined up waiting for the CA to go on. These might save me from losing blanks and tubes with the CA sticking to the metal bushes.

They were certainly cheap enough at $8-79 for a set and arrived in 10 days. I can also vouch for the owner, John's honesty as he refunded me $1 I overpaid for postage.

Might be worth a try for those with the same sticking problem as me. I will post after I have tried them with a report.

dai sensei
23rd August 2011, 10:05 PM
Keep you eye out for Acetal/Delron rod on Ebay, usually ~$10 for 1ft of 20mm delivered, and make your own.

Ozkaban
24th August 2011, 09:09 AM
Johnny from Penturners products is great to deal with. I bought a live centre and a dead centre from him and they arrived very quickly and were great quality.

I use them for turning with mandrell-less bushes, and also finishing. The CA comes off them pretty easily, though you do have to be very careful you get it all off or then next pen goes OOR :doh:

Cheers,
Dave

plantagenon
24th August 2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks Neil

I will do a search although the ones I just received should last for a while.

Greg

dai sensei
24th August 2011, 11:40 PM
Trimming/cutting the CA at the ends does damage them eventually, mine normally only last 10-15 pens before I have to redo the angled parts, then eventually they get too short :-. I am a bit agressive though :rolleyes::U

Sawdust Maker
25th August 2011, 08:51 AM
After a suggestion here by Simomatra (I think) I've been making mine out of those plastic chopping boards

Just turn to a cone shape and one size fits all.

They work well :2tsup:

plantagenon
27th August 2011, 12:23 PM
I tried out the Eliminator bushes shown in the photos earlier in the thread. They are brilliant. I put CA on 6 pen sets and not one of the tubes stuck to the bushes. I didn't have to cut the CA after it dried, the bushes simply came out. This is miles better than trying to put CA on with metal bushes on the mandrel.:2tsup: