PDA

View Full Version : A bowl at Willys :)

corbs
26th August 2011, 12:27 AM
Evening all... it's been a while since I attacked any wood due to my latest sea posting but I'm visiting the West at the moment and have been overwhelmed by the hospitality. Last night I was invited to dinner at Willy's and had a fantastic dinner with his beautiful family. Not only did I get to enjoy a great spread, Willy had plans for me to butcher some wood:2tsup:. He let me loose on a Salmon Gum burl with the arbortec and then let me have my way with the green Jarrah burl below. Was good to get some pointers & tips and just see how others are doing things. It won't be finished til I get back home as it needs the base finish turned and then a few coats of oil but I have to say that I'm in love with everything about it right now, I even got to play with a Sorby texturing tool which may be one of my next purcheses.

I also got to visit a guild turning night to watch some other fine turners play away. To everyone over here on the West coast that I have run into this week, thanks for everything and if you're ever in the Bungendore area I don't think I could repay what I have been given but I will do my best to try:2tsup:

Corbs

dr4g0nfly
26th August 2011, 01:25 AM
I'd love to see the outside shape as well, but I do love the the effect you manage to get with burrs (burls) you guy's get down there.

bench1holio
26th August 2011, 08:19 AM
great looking bowl corbs, :2tsup: good to see your still at it!

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2011, 08:55 AM
Nice

I hope you are distributing the weight evenly on that boat you're on. would hate to have one of our Navy's finest vessels list to starboard all the way home. :doh:

we've still to have coffee when you're next in Sydneytown.

munruben
26th August 2011, 08:57 AM
Very nice indeed.:2tsup:

corbs
26th August 2011, 10:08 AM
Nice

I hope you are distributing the weight evenly on that boat you're on. would hate to have one of our Navy's finest vessels list to starboard all the way home. :doh:

we've still to have coffee when you're next in Sydneytown.

I will leave the trim to the stokers to sort out but once I get my gear onboard there will be a definate list to starboard that they will need to correct :;... coffee sounds good too:2tsup:

Dragonfly,
I will post a pic of the base once I have taken a photo of it:rolleyes:... it still has the spigott (sp?) on it which needs to be turned off but will be doing that when I get home.

Mulgabill
26th August 2011, 11:25 AM
Good to hear from you Corbs!
That burls looks good so far! :2tsup:I watch for the finished product.

NeilS
26th August 2011, 11:54 AM
:2tsup:

Beneke
26th August 2011, 12:04 PM
Nice One! Can't wait to see the finished product!:2tsup:

Penqueen
26th August 2011, 02:17 PM
Nice bowl Corbs. :) Enjoy yourself over in the west. My youngest son is based at Rockingham now from Cairns. He loves being in the west. :)

Marg.:)

Willy Nelson
27th August 2011, 12:03 PM
What a surprise, a post from Corbs! Good to see.
Thanks for the kind words, it was my pleasure to host you, as you did when I visited Bungendore.
Very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay in WA, so far. You did a great job on the Jarrah Burl bowl.
Just the WA wood show to endure now.

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

mkypenturner
28th August 2011, 09:22 PM
Just the WA wood show to endure now.

hey corbs dont get to much as the wood show ....... don;t want to sink the ship