PDA

View Full Version : Who does not have anything from Carbatec?

chook
5th January 2005, 07:24 AM
I wonder what percentage of forum users would have at least one item that they have purchased from Carbatec. I suspect that a high percentage of us would have dealt with Carbatec at least once. But maybe not.

Iain
5th January 2005, 08:48 AM
I have several items from Carbatec but have virtually given up on Melbourne.
I now purchase through a local hardware store who gets it in overnight from Brisbane, its always there.

Sir Stinkalot
5th January 2005, 08:48 AM
What do you put if you have tried to purchase from Carbatec and they were out of stock?

Are we talking about large items (bandsaw, tablesaw, lathe) only or just small things like pen parts and router bits?

Stevenp
5th January 2005, 09:21 AM
I am more than a little bit disillusioned with carbatec, I waited 9 weeks for a delta saw that never turned up, and I am presently waiting ( 7Weeks now) for a Delta chisel morticer.
It annoys me that I ring and talk to six differerent people and get six different answers.One bloke says that it will be here tomorrow, and after waiting an eternity I find out that it hasn't even arrived in the country yet.
I cancelled the saw and bought a Jet super saw from Woodworkin warehouse in Melbourne and it landed on my doorstep in 4 days. I may have to get a jet morticer too.I will giv them 1 more week.

Gumpy
5th January 2005, 11:23 AM
I am one those that have not purchased from carbatec even though they are just down the road. In fact I was in the Bayswater store yesterday and it seen as though the contents from the Richmond store was there and it was one big mess.

I was after a CT 250 table saw but I think I would have a better chance of getting one from another state at the moment. It will probably take a month for them to sort there mess out.

Daniel

Driver
5th January 2005, 12:36 PM
Carba-Tec in Perth have a justifiably good reputation. I think most of the Perth-based contributors to this BB have made favourable comments about them.

Col

craigb
5th January 2005, 12:55 PM
Carba-Tec in Perth have a justifiably good reputation.
Col

Carba-Tec Sydney is also o.k.

echnidna
5th January 2005, 04:33 PM
I have purchased from Sydney instead of Melbourne.

Cliff Rogers
5th January 2005, 07:23 PM
G'day.

I had no problems with Brisbane or Sydney.

I have only spent a couple of hundred dollars in bits & pieces.

Kev Y.
5th January 2005, 10:20 PM
I have purchased several items from Carbatec, only because they had what I wanted on the floor at the time :) , HOWEVER...

Just today I wanted a bottle of some goo called "polish reviver" by some unknown manufacturer.. Sadly :( they didnt have any in stock and the "salesperson" I spoke to didnt know what I was talking about :confused: !

Good ;) side to the story.. picked up a SCMS for a good price ( because they had one on the floor at the time

Pat
6th January 2005, 07:29 AM
From the posts on this board, one can deduce that Carba-Tec Melbourne is the black sheep of the group. Since it is a franchise,the person(s) running the show may not have the interests of the consumer at heart, only the majic $$$$$ in their eyes. Perth is also a franchise, but I have only seen positive comments on this board. So what can the mexicans do to get some improvement in service?

1 Shop elsewhere in Vicco . . .
2 Purchase via mail/internet from Brisbane/Perth or Sydney
3 Petition the parent company to get some improvement from the franchisee

Personely I have had no problem purchasing products from the Sydney branch and I have no interests in any related business'. I am only a impartial spectator.

Pat

(wish we could have a spell check . . . :D )

gemi_babe
8th January 2005, 02:54 AM
(wish we could have a spell check . . . :D )
LOL

I don't have any carbatec stuff, not even sure what it is :p

Grunt
8th January 2005, 09:31 AM
I don't have any carbatec stuff, not even sure what it is

Carbatec is toy shop. http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/

TheDad
8th January 2005, 10:05 AM
what there is a place better than mitre 10 and bunnings??????????????????

wow we do miss out in the country!!!

Gumby
8th January 2005, 10:07 AM
I purchased my ML392 combo from their Bayswater branch and haven't got any complaints. They swapped the warped fence arm over in a day. However, I've tried to buy a mobile base for it but they were out of stock. My name went into the book and I was told I'd be contacted when one arrived . I never got the call and when I rang to check on it a few weeks later, they said they'd have to put me in the book again because it was too far back. Same result though, no call and it's now 6 months! Since they are only up the road, had they called, I would have just strolled in and bought it.

At least I didn't pay a deposit and now I've decided I don't need it anyway. I think you can go there and buy something but they don't know how to sell anything! I wonder how much business they have lost this way.

Grunt
8th January 2005, 11:57 AM
I wonder how much business they have lost this way.

Lots I'd imagine. I ordered a TSC-10HB from them. I gave up waiting and bought it from Brisbane. It ended up being about the same price delivered to Romsey and it took 10 days from time of order.

alscall
8th January 2005, 05:53 PM
I thought it was just me when it took them 7 weeks 2 get the biscuit joinin attachment 4 me angle grinder, but obviously not.I'll be ordering via internet/Perth from now on.

AL

ernknot
8th January 2005, 07:41 PM
I bought a virtual truck load from Carba- Tec WA and got almost everything. The bit which did not get delivered came a week later. Only had a bit of trouble over the xmas break. They claimed the e-mail from this site does ( Woodwork Forum) not work so I lost a couple of weeks. Phoned them and asked what the hell......got an explanation that blah blah blah.
Still waiting for a dovetail comb. Cancelled the slot cutter and have now gone offshore to buy bits and pieces ( they get them from there don't they??) Ah! such is life, we are but victims not valued customers anymore.

himzol
8th January 2005, 09:05 PM
Well I have delibertaly avoided buying anythind from them as they DO NOT HAVE AN OUTLET IN ADELAIDE,. Sorry for the shouting but maybe they may hear and actually start realising that there is somebody in the middle bit of this great land of ours.

H.

Tankstand
8th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Hear Hear Himzol!
Plus I hate paying the freight costs. ( Yeah, I know, cheap git! :D )

Zed
8th January 2005, 10:20 PM
sydney branch is a franchise too. they are ok by me, sometimes you have to wait, but you cant expect them to keep everything in stock - modern logistics and "just in time" philosophies dont allow that i suppose.

I've found them to be pretty good about calling about arrived orders, ordering without deposits and giving you stuff off the floor if you want it.... BTW in the 2004 cattledog the leather apron photo's are modelled by the owner of the sydney franchise. he's a good joe, when I went in there he specifically set up a sanding machine for me to look at, on the spot, no pressure to buy or order or nuthin.

I really dont have any issues with them

routermaniac
9th January 2005, 09:32 PM
this is going to sound really stupid but...

Although I live in Melbourne I found it much easier to order stuff from the WA store (online). As other have said there is little left in the richmond store and the bayswater store is just getting setup (and mind you a bloody long way from me).

Anyway found the WA people great to deal with and very reliable.

gemi_babe
10th January 2005, 12:02 AM
Carbatec is toy shop. http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/
Cool, might stop in there while up visiting the folks... :)

stowill
12th January 2005, 03:30 PM
I have seen some of the Adelaide woodworking/tool shops selling Carbatec machinery. Glenfords and MIK spring to mind.

I purchased an 8" jointer and 3 phase 15" jointer from MIK about 18 months ago. When the gear arrived I found the Thicknesser was not 3 phase and was informed that Carbatec don't do the 3 phase after having inquired prior to purchase so I returned the thicknesser and picked up a Ledacraft one. (They are local and assembled the system ready for me to pick up the following saturday morning.)

Apart from colour and badges they appear to be the same so I now go to Leda for my machines. I prefer to have someone that I can take things to and get fixed promptly if the need arises. (Which they did recently with my SCMS)

I think MIK stock most of the other items that are in the Carbatec catalogue so I don't feel the need to deal with Carbatec. It's interesting to hear people's view on them.

How should I vote? I have a Carbatec machine but bought it through an
agent.

PeterS
12th January 2005, 04:55 PM
I am buying a table saw, jointer and band saw of them in the next two weeks. The guy I spoke with Roland seemed very nice and informed me that they were expecting the rest of there stock within the week. The store was a mess but that is only because of the move and the fact that they were robbed the night before I arrived. They lost all of there Festool stuff.

They are even interested in doing cash deals and haggling.
Hopefully everything will be instock before I go there but I am going to ring first to be sure.

One last thing, on the door of the old store in Richmond they say it is olny 20minutes to the Bayswater store.............Maybe at 3am in a 911 turbo.

graemet
12th January 2005, 08:28 PM
Carba-Tec Sydney is also o.k. I have bought a Delta thicknesser, & scroll saw and their own brand air filter plus numerous small bits & pieces from the Sydney shop. I would like a new first stage filter panel for the blower but they have been "out of stock" every time I've gone over to Auburn for the last 18 months. Two weeks ago, I thought I'd give em one last try and the bloody place had disappeared!
If there is any one from Carbatec Sydney on this BBB, they may wish to enlighten us (me) on their after sales policy on bit & spares and where the h*** they've gone!
Graeme

Trav
14th January 2005, 12:55 PM
Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the Canberra store? I've not yet used them, but I have been meaning to drop past and pick up a few essentials (you know, milk, bread, thicknesser, jointer etc).

Trav

jshaw
14th January 2005, 01:48 PM
Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the Canberra store?Trav

Yes, been in there a few times and always got good service and good advice. Only ever been spending about $100 max, mind you, no BIG toys!

John

numbat
14th January 2005, 03:41 PM
I have bought both large and small stuff form them. I have also ordered stuff and been phoned when it arrived (generally within a week or so). Advice has been fine too. So I would rate them as generally good.

Cheers

craigb
14th January 2005, 04:38 PM
I have bought a Delta thicknesser, & scroll saw and their own brand air filter plus numerous small bits & pieces from the Sydney shop. I would like a new first stage filter panel for the blower but they have been "out of stock" every time I've gone over to Auburn for the last 18 months. Two weeks ago, I thought I'd give em one last try and the bloody place had disappeared!
If there is any one from Carbatec Sydney on this BBB, they may wish to enlighten us (me) on their after sales policy on bit & spares and where the h*** they've gone!
Graeme

The are still in Auburn, in fact I was in there just this morning. :)

However, they are not in the same place in Auburn. They moved to a new location about 9 months ago. They are now in Station Rd Auburn, behind Domayne. Heading west along Parammatta Rd, turn right at Station Rd. They are down the end on the right.

Iain
15th January 2005, 06:56 AM
Melbourne, Thursday......
Need a base for the 16-32 drum sander, sorry, haven't got one, want a mobile base for table saw, sorry, legal dispute, not allowed to sell them (bought one yesterday from WW Warehouse), Eurojig, sorry out of stock.
Bought a copy of the B&D workhorse, a bit rickety on the floor, we only threw it together, it's not tightened up, took one home, assembled, rickety as buggery and it is tightened up.
WW warehouse is looking good..........Citrus St Braeside.

chook
15th January 2005, 11:01 PM
My computer was out of action for about a week (we transferred over to broadband) so I was very interested in the results of this poll question. I have a shed full of carbatec stuff at home and an even bigger shed full of carbatec stuff at work. All of this was sourced from the Brisbane branch. I have found the service there to be both very good and a bit poor. The bits and pieces I have purchased from home have all been delivered promptly and at a fair price. But about 3 years ago I bought a large truck full of tools and machinery for work. I went to carbatec and the best price from them was no better than I could get purchasing one off and small items for home. I then was up for delivery costs and insurance while in transit. I approached a local hardware store who organised the same order at about 7% cheaper (a saving of many thousands of dollars). They delivered for free, covered the insurance costs and sent out a team of men and a forklift to help me unload.

Yet as I say my own personal dealings with them have been good. They have a large slice of the market (as this poll shows) so they must be doing something right.

Sturdee
16th January 2005, 04:44 PM
They have a large slice of the market (as this poll shows) so they must be doing something right.

Not necessarily Chook. :eek:

Maybe lack of decent local competition :( or they may be only one-of buyers not repeat customers.

Peter.

sailingamerican
20th January 2005, 01:03 PM
You can buy the kits here in the US for $29.99 They are the same as Delta's. You can use hard wood or steel and make it to fit your needs. You can find them all over the web. Richard

Iain
20th January 2005, 01:47 PM
Just ordered two this morning, $45 each which is cheaper than importing from the US. Works out to about $40AU plus freight which I think would be more than $10.00.
Coming in via Speights Shifty Link Hardware-Kooweerup.
Evil little man that Ian Speight, tells my wife lies about tool purchases:rolleyes:

graemecarson
20th January 2005, 02:50 PM
I have been to Carbatec Brisbane a lot, usually in my lunch "hour." It takes me 10 minutes to drive there, 10 minutes back and 40 minutes to find someone who really doesn't want to serve you if they can help it. If someone finally decides to notice you want to be served you most often cannot get the Item - unless its on the shelves. I was surprised on one occaision and bought a dust extraction unit and a 12 1/2 inch planer there but could nerver find that guy again. I did most of my research for the rest of my machinery there but couldn't get any one interested in serving me so looked for alternatives. Glad I did because I've now got a shed full of Jet gear and I love it. And the guys at Gregory Machinery can either sell it to you then and there or tell you exactly when it will be there. They just don't have as much additional stuff as Carbatec. I only go to Carbatec now when I have 2 days off. One to go to Carbatec, wait to get served and be told that it's not in stock - and the other to search for what I want somewhere else. They have a great cattledog - shame their service and stock levels don't match up.

micknews
23rd January 2005, 03:58 PM
I have to agree re problems at the melbourne Store(s). I have used the Richmond store a few times. Bought a table saw there a year or so ago, sheer accident - they had one there someone had ordered and obviously got tired of waiting for. But I don't know how many times I have been down there to purchase something and they are out of stock. Now they have moved out to Bayswater I won't be using them again, checked it out as I was in the area last week but it is still a disorganised mess a la Richmond. Must be the most inefficient retail outlet ever. As was said before, the Catalogue is great, but forget ordering something out of it if you want it in this lifetime.

Mick.