PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Egg

dai sensei
31st August 2011, 10:53 PM
I've been working on this for a while - see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/some-special-bonewood-136164/). The main egg is spalted Bonewood (and a lot of thin CA) and after turning finished at 1.2mm max and 0.4mm min thickness (using digital calipers). Changed my mind a few times on the stand from African Ebony, sometimes due to blow outs :-, others I just didn't like. Settled on the bangle theme using the remainder of the Ebony (glued together as segmental piece) and some more spalted Bonewood. Overall it is 400mm high and 140mm max dia.

I originally finished with Danish Oil then Gelcoat but wasn't happy with the finish. The Bonewood had collapsed in some areas as it dried so I used some CA to build it back up again. In the thinest part where it was just 0.4mm thick, the light just shined straight through, so I painted the inside with coffee grinds and PVA to dull it a bit. I sanded the majority of the Gelcoat off again and flattened the surface as much as I could before buffing up a shine with the Swansdown Mop loaded with Shithot Waxtik (Ubeaut products of course :wink:).

It is my entry in the Gold Coast Show woodturning comp this weekend. I was in a hurry with the photos, in the 3rd shot I moved the egg and it is not sitting straight :doh:

Cheers

dr4g0nfly
31st August 2011, 11:58 PM
Ohhhhhh - how beautiful :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mrs Blackie
1st September 2011, 12:03 AM
dai! AMAZING is all I can say looks fantastic!:2tsup:

Christos
1st September 2011, 12:27 AM
Perserved egg.

Nice.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2011, 12:44 AM
There you go again, raising the bar for the rest of us. :sigh:

You really should know better than to leave it where the kids can get at it with textas, though. :;

Very nice piece! But... erm... if you're entering it in a comp, wouldn't it have been more politic to wait until after the judging to post public pix?

Byc
1st September 2011, 05:50 AM
I certainly like it

mkypenturner
1st September 2011, 06:51 AM
top work neil :2tsup::2tsup: it should win for sure if not let us all know and we set up a lynch squad to hunt down the judges :D

sjm
1st September 2011, 09:56 AM
Interesting, do the judges get to see it lit up?

Ed Reiss
1st September 2011, 12:21 PM
You know that saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"?

Well, Dai Sensei, that saying doesn't apply to you ~~~ your a shoe-in for first :2tsup:

Paul39
1st September 2011, 12:33 PM
WOW! Spectacular!

Are LED lamps like the one in the photo becoming common in AU? I have only seen ones like that on the internet, usually shipped from China.

bench1holio
1st September 2011, 01:26 PM
outstanding peice of work neil! :2tsup::2tsup: good luck with the show this w'end

brendan stemp
1st September 2011, 02:50 PM
very impressive Neil. that should be a head turner at the show. good luck although given the quality of this piece you won't need luck

TTIT
1st September 2011, 08:14 PM
All the more impressive if you have worked that Bonewood and know just how soft it is :o top job Neil :2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
1st September 2011, 08:26 PM
hi neil,
nice job,very well done :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
hope all goes well on the weekend good luck!!!!!
cheers smiife

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 09:00 PM
:2tsup:

dai sensei
1st September 2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Very nice piece! But... erm... if you're entering it in a comp, wouldn't it have been more politic to wait until after the judging to post public pix?

Maybe, but I posted late and knew judging was early this morning, and I'm impatient :rolleyes:

I did get 1st in the "hollow forms" category :hooray:. The only other thing I entered was my WW pepper grinder (see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cast-burl-pepper-grinder-133066/)) and it also got 1st in "turned item with added mechanism" category, so I'm pretty happy :woot:

SWINO (Todd) won 1st in his category and the overall award for best of the show for his huge natural edge bowl/platter :2tsup:, it was gorgeous :cool:. Had some real nasty edges to it :o

Interesting, do the judges get to see it lit up?

Not sure. Apparently one of the legs fell apart when they picked it up :doh:, breaking along one of the spalt lines. I went in tonight to glue it up again, can't pick the join luckily. I also found a location in the display where I could turn it on :wink:.

Are LED lamps like the one in the photo becoming common in AU? I have only seen ones like that on the internet, usually shipped from China.

I got mine from china too, much cheaper and delivered to my door :p

All the more impressive if you have worked that Bonewood and know just how soft it is :o

Bonewood is soft, the spalted rotten stuff is even worse :C. Lots and lots of CA is required just to hold it together.

gawdelpus
1st September 2011, 11:10 PM
I have been lucky enough to see this work in progress , it is really a delicate creation ,all those seminars on the gold coast for Neil have really not been wasted hehe, it really is a masterpiece of delicacy , and fully deserved its Placing in the show. Top marks for sure :)
Cheers ~ John

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2011, 01:36 AM
I did get 1st in the "hollow forms" category :hooray:. The only other thing I entered was my WW pepper grinder (see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cast-burl-pepper-grinder-133066/)) and it also got 1st in "turned item with added mechanism" category, so I'm pretty happy :woot:

Congrats! :2tsup:

kcam
2nd September 2011, 09:50 AM
Congratulations Neil, well deserved wins :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Kerry

turnerted
2nd September 2011, 05:10 PM
Neil. It looks fantastic. Congratulations on your win.
What is the gelcote you refer to?The only gelcote I am familiar with is that which is used in fiberglassing .
Ted

dai sensei
2nd September 2011, 06:19 PM
Neil. It looks fantastic. Congratulations on your win.
What is the gelcote you refer to?The only gelcote I am familiar with is that which is used in fiberglassing .
Ted

It's Taulmans Gelcoat, a gel like polyurethane that is antidrip and great for burls etc (applied with toothbrush), I just didn't get the usual nice even coat I usually get. Apparently they have stopped producing it.

Bushmiller
2nd September 2011, 08:12 PM
Neil

I don't know what to say. Just beautiful

Regards
Paul

artme
3rd September 2011, 12:50 PM
A stunning piece there Neil!!!:clap3::clap3::clap3:

tea lady
3rd September 2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Maybe, but I posted late and knew judging was early this morning, and I'm impatient :rolleyes:

.:oo::2tsup: Fantastic. Well done! :2tsup: