PDA

View Full Version : My very first projects

Mrs Blackie
5th September 2011, 10:07 PM
Please feel free to tell me what you think, I've had to start small I am still trying to work out where to get wood from, these are cut offs.:)

Byc
5th September 2011, 10:29 PM
Great stuff . You were certainly busy. Everyone seems to wanna keep their first few turnings and this is so you can see your improvements over time. Soon your design shapes will change, your wall thickness with get thinner, your tool bruising marks will be gone and your sanding will be to a gloss finish.
I am not very good yet, but they tell me I will improve also.

Mrs Blackie
5th September 2011, 11:32 PM
So true Byc, I have noticed in my latest ones they are much more smooth and my shapes have changed and my walls are now more fine and detailed and most of all smooth. I found it hard as I didn't know much about the gouges when I purchased them the place I got them told me they were already to go and no they werent they were blunt since then I am now trying to make a Jig to sharpen them but I did for now and a big difference I am actually cutting not scraping lol, I have also found that burnishing with 0000 steel wool has helped big time I have made three more mini bowls since this lot and they are much better. I have kept all these and will do of most things I make as you said to improve myself and my standards...sometimes I wonder when I will be able to make perfect bowls and candle holders you know? like the ones we see that shine so much you cant look at them? and by the way WOWWWW! I checked out your work and now that is fantastic work love them, by the way I want your bird house hehehe:U Thank you for your input Byc:2tsup: very much appreciated. Cheers:)

cookie48
6th September 2011, 10:37 AM
You have started well. My first turnings were only pens, and my first try at more turning are now hanging around the shed in the dark. But as every one will say, the more you turn the better you get.

bellyup
6th September 2011, 01:41 PM
Good for you :2tsup: - we all started where you are. Sharp tools are the key to having fun and improving .... a little instruction can go a long way.
Make sure you hang on to your first pieces, they are great to look back on.
Bruce

wheelinround
6th September 2011, 02:48 PM
Mrs B not bad at all like the little stars on those couple how did you do them burn? Paint? pearce ?

So you'd like some wood or know where to get it from.:U My sources have been as follows. Real Estate sign hardwood poles, Roadside pick ups recycled stuff, Roadside pick up logs, Forumites passing it round :; , woodies club (ask Peter nicely for some New Guinea Rosewood).

Best one yet driving through Penrith spotted fellows cutting down a Jaccarandah the even loaded it straight into the back of the wagon.

Look in the Timber sale section for Greg Ward (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f222/) back yard wood salesman, his brother Mal of Boutique Timbers (http://www.boutiquetimbers.com/), along Windsor rd to Mulgrave and Trend Timbers (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php).

I am doing a clean up ATM.

powderpost
6th September 2011, 08:01 PM
Mrs B, your pieces look very much like my first attempts. I was proud of them just as you are now. :2tsup::2tsup: Tool sharpening is very important.
Jim

hughie
6th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Well heres the bottom line, everybody starts at the same place :2tsup: No matter how good they might be now. :U

Mrs Blackie
6th September 2011, 08:38 PM
Yayyyy Thanks guys, What you all have to say and think means a lot to me, as everything I see here I am absorbing like a sponge, I can only learn more:)...though I wonder if I will ever get that good:roll:. The stars are burned on Wheelinround, once I get good enough turning I will be doing pyrography on my work maybe not on all of them but majority will be, I have gourd in progress at the moment waiting to dry prepared and then I will design something on them lol. I can't wait for Friday night I am sure I will learn much more there and be able to turn like the rest of you:) I HOPE! hehehe!

I love input so please keep it up guys I need the inspiration and experienced minds of wisdom giving me advice.

Cheers!:2tsup:

Paul39
7th September 2011, 11:20 AM
Mrs. Blackie,

A little reading, a little instruction, time in front of the lathe paying attention to what makes the tool do what you want it to do.

The more time turning the better you get. After 100 hours of turning it is amazing how much easier it gets.

Except for the Accursed Skew.