PDA

View Full Version : Tech. question #1 Does C.A. blunten tools?

bellyup
6th September 2011, 01:59 PM
G'day All,
I was playing around with a Redgum burl/knob the other day and found that it had some dry rot on some immature light timber (have never seen Redgum with dry rot before) so I gave it a liberal dose of thin C.A. and came back to it next day. My Hamlet gouge that I had been using on it with no problems now would not touch it - couldn't even start a cut. Sharpened all of my gouges to satisfaction and could only get 15 -20 seconds worth before they were too blunt to continue :? . Never come across this before but then I have never used so much C.A. before on one piece.
Anyone else found this?
Thanks,
Bruce.

hughie
6th September 2011, 08:40 PM
I have never really had a problem. But it is posible that it will have some negative effect, I wouldnt be to worried about it.

dai sensei
6th September 2011, 08:47 PM
Like many resins, the mix of timber then resin whilst cutting will blunten your tools, but I'm surprised you couldn't start a cut. Being lazy, I've done a lot of cuts with blunt tools, just tends to shatter the resin rather than cut it.

TTIT
6th September 2011, 11:07 PM
I've had a similar experience a couple of times but it wasn't the CA that was to blame :B If I want to keep the bark on a piece or keep an inclusion in a crotch I often give it a liberal drowning of CA before I start shaping and have been caught out when there is dirt/sand caught in there - literally makes a grindstone out of it that will take the edge off any tool instantly. :C

HazzaB
7th September 2011, 12:24 AM
Hey Bruce,

TTIT has hit the nail on the head, i am doing some burl pens at the moment and the sapwood on the pen blanks will take the edge off a Barrell Trimmer, in no time flat, and I have to sharpen the tools more regularly when I have a few with Sapwood.

HazzaB