PDA

View Full Version : Stewart armbrace system

WOODbTURNER
6th September 2011, 02:10 PM
Has anyone owned/used the Stewart/Sorby/Don Pencil arm brace systems? I have always wanted one but have been put off by their prices. Do you think they are worth having and has anyone been injured by the arm brace? Will appreciate your comments.

powderpost
6th September 2011, 09:22 PM
I have had the Stewart system, made by Sorby for more than 20 years. As far as I can work out it was the fore runner of the bowl "coring" system. It was supplied with curved bars fitted with tear-drop shaped cutters, for hollowing out hollow forms with small openings . One had a fixed cutter for "coring". Mine also has a curved bar with a flexible "finger" to gauge the wall thickness.

I found the system effective. It could be dangerous if the tool rest wasn't back from the curve in he bar.

I can't offer a comparison or comment, as I have never used any of the alternatives,
Jim

Tim the Timber Turner
7th September 2011, 01:37 PM
Simply the best hollowing tool for depths of 150mm or less. IMHO

When my arm gets tired using a gouge to rough out deeper bowls, I'll switch to the armbrace. It's much easier on my aging body.:(

However the shorter shaft now supplied with the Sorby system is not as good as the original 400mm shaft. The tool has much better balance with the longer shaft.:2tsup:

If you are handy working in steel, it's not hard to make a longer shaft.

Cheers

Tim:)

WOODbTURNER
7th September 2011, 03:14 PM
I should have checked older posts as this has been mentioned before. I ended up getting Don Pencil's Scorpion setup (US) on special for $149us and my son is bringing it back for me from the US. Must try and curb my spending on turning gadgets but as a 70year old mate said, "bugga the kids, let's spend it on ourselves" :)