PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning for Dummies/Beginners books?

gwmbox
12th September 2011, 01:27 AM
As per my other post new to wood turning, actually VERY new have not tried it yet :)

Is there any good book(s) on wood turning for beginners available anyone would highly recommend?

Cheers

GW

pommyphil
12th September 2011, 07:15 AM
Woodturning, a foundation course by Kieth Rowley

Turning Wood by Richard Raffan or

Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow

RETIRED
12th September 2011, 08:07 AM
The only one worth reading for a beginner.

Woodturning, a Foundation Course by Kieth Rowley

Joining a club also helps.

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2011, 11:05 PM
:wts:

I have all those books & have watched Raffan & Darlow videos.
Darlow is very techo.

Nothing beats joining a club &/or getting some lessons.

and LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN YOUR TOOLS!

Mrs Blackie
13th September 2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the Forum!
You will find you will learn a lot here but as mentioned above and from my own experience as a noob to woodturning I joined a club and keep up to date here on the forum, you will be amazed at how much you will learn on here nobody holds information from anyone here we all share and learn from each other, though I find myself so inspired by my more senior members here you will feel more motivated and everyone is honest here:)) I think you will find more hands on learning will be better than reading a magazine so try find a club to go to hands on and this does not mean stop reading:) because that helps just as much. I am just sorry I didn't join the forum long ago:) and Cliff? I hear you about learning to sharpen my tools :)) am doing just that I wish I could remove those pictures now that I posted last week of my blunt gouges making those incense holders and candle holders lolll, I am loving it now with sharp tools. Once again welcome to the forum and enjoy watch and learn:2tsup:
Cheers!

rodent
20th September 2011, 12:24 AM
I agree with , Kieth Rowleys book is great and it has some projects for you to do as well .

Avery
20th September 2011, 12:34 AM
All the books named are terrific, and there are plenty more.

Your local library, if you have one, will have access to stacks of stuff.

You are connected to the internet.
Use it!

There are thousands of videos, photos and text posts that will give you heaps of good information.

and BTW I found Darlow to be just what I needed to get an understanding of the way things worked.

different strokes...

pommyphil
20th September 2011, 04:06 PM
Yes I got heaps from Darlows books and his videos are great if you can't sleep :rolleyes:

Phil