PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Please?

Mrs Blackie
20th September 2011, 10:11 PM
I think I may have a huge problem with the pully belt? somethings not right its falling apart and the wires are coming apart on it, is that ment to happen? I spoke to a friend that seems to know what his doing but he said might just be the belt getting worn into place, which I dont think is right because even the inner side the bottom part of the belt that touches the pully parts is breaking apart:oo: I could cry I cant work this out:C. Am just wondering if anyone would know about it that might be able to give me an insight to this please?

hughie
21st September 2011, 12:58 AM
If you have the original belt that came with the lathe it will be Chinese and its useless, very poor quality. My one did pretty much the same after a few months. I bought a replacement from Hare &Forbes, from memory it was A25 and never changed it again.

TTIT
21st September 2011, 09:22 AM
Likewise! Any industrial supplies type place will have the equivalent size in much better quality than the original.

Mrs Blackie
21st September 2011, 07:58 PM
Thank You TTIT & Hughie, I googled it up and I found you two on there talking about your belts which brought me back here to our forum :U I will get in touch with Hare & Forbes in the morning after the airport dropping daughter off she's going to Queensland in the morning :roll: wish it was me but anyways, Im going to stop off at Carba and H&F on the way home both on my way back home anyway might as well make the most of it, I just might need hubby to take the bankcard off me though I feel a machine frenzy starting up inside of me already l just love shopping in there chucklesss:U

hughie
22nd September 2011, 01:20 AM
No worries, I think we both owned one or one very similar to what you have. Its a good entry point lathe for when many start out.

Dunno if your interested , but from time to to time we have GTG with several [ 8-10 or so ] of the members off the forum for a bit of a turnthon etc. Swap ideas, demos, a bit of a bring and buy table and so on.

Generally on Sat with lunch etc its been in western Sydney on previous occaisions and will most probably continue in the area.

vk4
23rd September 2011, 07:04 PM
yes I agree with the others, the Chinese belts are C#@&p, I had to replace the belt on mine when I bought it 2 months ago, I just went to my local Bearing sales . fixed the problem .
If you can get 1 from H&F or Carba-Tech both sell the same machine with different lables & colours.

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
24th September 2011, 11:22 PM
Hi all, was at bunnings and across the road is Repco so I walked in and I found the belt at Repco, now I have to figure out how to replace it lolll, why do they sell the lathe with not enough info? :roll:

vk4
25th September 2011, 05:53 PM
The trick is to get the belt on to 1 set of drive plates first , then onto the second.

what is the position of the speed control lever??
1 move speed control lever to it's fastest setting
2 fit belt over drive plates in the lathe head,
3 carefully fit the belt over the motor drive plates ,
you will have to be careful DO NOT USE ANY THING TO LEVER THE PLATES APART expect your fingers.
4 Turn the lathe by hand , to bed the Belts .
5 Start the lathe and reduce the speed as it is starting, MOVE THE SPEED CONTROL TO THE LEFT.

6 CYCLE THE CONTROL 1-2 TIMES TO SETTLE THE BELT.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
28th September 2011, 02:48 AM
Thank You Vk4, a great help all done!
Cheers!

vk4
28th September 2011, 09:14 AM
Ti's an honor to help a damsel in distress:):):)

Mrs Blackie
28th September 2011, 03:23 PM
Vk4? Guess what? was the wrong belt so I took it back they refunded me, I called Hare & Forbes, they were really good about it and am so excited because the lathe is fairly new he said he would put it under warrantee for me and sending me two belts for free today, Gotta love Hare & Forbes. Now I might have to find something else for you to help the Damsel in Distress, gotta keep you busy, you are so active on the forum I cant keep up:2tsup: thank you again.
Cheers!

vk4
28th September 2011, 09:00 PM
Yes the Chinese belts are pretty hopeless:(, I had to change the belt on the machine I brought 2nd hand , and the machine was only 8months old,.

It pays to take the cover off after every 4 hours of turning and put some oil on the shafts,that the pulleys slide on and on the speed control shaft as well, It keeps them moving easily and smoothly:D:D:D

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
28th September 2011, 09:37 PM
Your right I have been doing that I've been using inox it helps a lot, though I feel like making a perspex cover for it like a shield or something Im sort of getting sick of taking screws out and putting them all back in like this, its getting annoying. I also put two 20Kg bags of sand on the stand on bottom of it and its never been better, it even sounds better and with the inox its real smooth running :D

vk4
29th September 2011, 01:15 PM
Excellent , I am glad to see I am preaching to the converted:D, The perspex cover is a good idea especially if you mount it on a hinge ,.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I might do this my self :D:D:D

jeff

joe greiner
29th September 2011, 08:11 PM
+1 for lubrication. I replaced the screws with DIY wing bolts: Short pieces of all-thread or same from longer screws, wing nuts, and Loctite thread sealer. Faster than finding a screwdriver. Latched cover: maybe later.

Cheers,
Joe