PDA

View Full Version : Kiewa turn-on, 27-28 December 2011

Pages : [1] 2

jefferson
22nd September 2011, 09:36 PM
For the 3rd year running we will be hosting a small gathering at Kiewa on Tues. 27-Wed 28th December.

Shed accommodation for the guys (with A/C), not much room left in the house for the girls. :D:D

Ken Wraight and Jim Carroll are starters at the moment, may or may not be available.

Agenda for the 2 days is fairly fluid, depending on what people want. Expressions of interest sought.

Full tool kit available, plus 3 Vicmarcs, plus whatever people bring. End-grain hollowing already marked down for some tuition.

Plenty of time to go, but get in early to book a spot.

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2011, 09:48 PM
Agenda for the 2 days is fairly fluid, depending on what people want. .....
Fluid is good. :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2011, 09:55 PM
Fluid is good. :2tsup:

Always plenty of fluid after the lathes are turned off :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, vibration makes the beer go flat, I have a stubby holder on my tractor & it is useless for that reason. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2011, 04:37 AM
Too early to tell yet, but I hope to manage to make it this time. :2tsup:

Pat
23rd September 2011, 06:52 AM
I'll be there, maybe with another mad traveler, depends if he gets permission from his significant other (SO). It'll be good to have someone to mag to whilst :driving:down.

I might even get time to practice my turning, so I might look like I know what I am doing:U

Jeff, do we need magnifying glasses for Ken's demo's this year? Maybe he could test the Vic's limits with a platter 700mm+

govarney
24th September 2011, 12:09 AM
Both Marilyn and I hope to be there but won't know until its get a bit closer and we work out whats going on around Xmas

nz_carver
24th September 2011, 06:38 AM
I'll be there, maybe with another mad traveler, depends if he gets permission from his significant other +

Now I have a date I can sweet talk her in to letting me go:U

jefferson
25th September 2011, 08:35 PM
IJeff, do we need magnifying glasses for Ken's demo's this year? Maybe he could test the Vic's limits with a platter 700mm+

Pat, I've got no idea what Ken has planned. But I have seen him turn a platter "live" and it was a learning experience.

I do have a fair lump of redgum that fits the 700mm bill. Full of bird's eye figure and very specky.

Let's see what everyone else wants to do!

nz_carver
27th September 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm in I'll be pats car buddy :2tsup:

Pat
27th September 2011, 06:16 PM
I'm in I'll be pats car buddy :2tsup:

Dave, you'll be in charge of music and food and drink.

I was going down the Monday 26th and come back Thursday or Friday, whenever Anne kicks us out:U

We'll sort out the details later.

nz_carver
15th October 2011, 08:08 PM
not that im counting but I just orded a new tool box to take with me:2tsup:
people let me know by pm what we drink Ill brake some balls and take cear of it:q

will have to see Jim when im MLB next month and order somethink to pick up when he makes his trip:B got to make little yellow a little bigger

wheelinround
15th October 2011, 08:18 PM
Pat only has a tiny car Dave and thats gonna be full of Chocolate and drinks, no room for tool boxes he needs all the room to bring home new tools and wood.:;

Pat
15th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Pat only has a tiny car Dave and thats gonna be full of Chocolate and drinks, no room for tool boxes he needs all the room to bring home new tools and wood.:;

I should be able to fit in a tool box . . . in the passenger seat:U

wheelinround
15th October 2011, 09:39 PM
I should be able to fit in a tool box . . . in the passenger seat:U

Sorry Pat didn't know Dave was giving you the tool box :p

nz_carver
15th October 2011, 10:21 PM
Pat just stick a rope out the window we will pull Ray and he can hold the tool boxes and wood :q

jefferson
15th October 2011, 10:48 PM
Pat could always bring a trailer..... :D:D:D

Pat
16th October 2011, 06:25 AM
Pat just stick a rope out the window we will pull Ray and he can hold the tool boxes and wood :q

Been done before

Pat could always bring a trailer..... :D:D:D

It's called Ray.

Jim Carroll
16th October 2011, 10:04 AM
If I remember rightly the last time we saw PAt at Kiewa the car resembled a boat.

He had made a visit to Harry Dennis place and filled the back of the car with so much wood the back end was nearly touching the ground.

Pat it would probably be easier to put the roof racks back on and strap David and his tool box up there, If he complains about the breeze just slide him into one of your surfboard covers :2tsup:

Pat
16th October 2011, 01:26 PM
If I remember rightly the last time we saw PAt at Kiewa the car resembled a boat.

He had made a visit to Harry Dennis place and filled the back of the car with so much wood the back end was nearly touching the ground.

Pat it would probably be easier to put the roof racks back on and strap David and his tool box up there, If he complains about the breeze just slide him into one of your surfboard covers :2tsup:

There may have been some dragging of the exhaust for a little while.:U

Good idea, I have a few board covers that I can fit a decent size tool box in. Oh you mean for Dave:;

tea lady
16th October 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure I can make it this year! :C I kinda feel the need to go and read a stack of books on a beach somewhere and do nothing for ages. :C:D

jefferson
16th October 2011, 05:20 PM
So, Tea Lady, does that mean Pat gets to make the chocolate ripple cake? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wheelinround
16th October 2011, 05:31 PM
So, Tea Lady, does that mean Pat gets to make the chocolate ripple cake? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jefferson it would not make the car let alone Daves place Pat makes short cake out of chocolate cake

wheelinround
16th October 2011, 05:34 PM
Yeh i can see it now Dave PLANKING down Hume highway on the roof of Pats car he'd be board stiff.:U Pat just make sure is feet point down don't need that much wind drag and tape all orifices so you don't hear the sreaming or annoying whistle :;

jefferson
16th October 2011, 05:47 PM
Pat's various reputations precede him! :D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
16th October 2011, 10:25 PM
Ray, going south.... :D

Wheelchair Tow - YouTube

tea lady
17th October 2011, 08:45 AM
so, tea lady, does that mean pat gets to make the chocolate ripple cake? :rolleyes::rolleyes::d

wheelinround
17th October 2011, 05:35 PM
Ray, going south.... :D

Wheelchair Tow - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LcC7n3_fwc)

Ah well hum :rolleyes: I did get a tow behind a trailer recently.:U

Oh and Cliff never south to damn cold these days even at that time of year.

North will happen one day.:;

nz_carver
28th November 2011, 12:16 AM
Rite if today was anything to go by I'm in just got to be back on 29th
To spend a day or two with the family

So who's in

Jim
Pat
Nz_carver
Buddy the pug ????( My lathe on 4 legs )
Neil ??

smiife
28th November 2011, 07:12 PM
hi guys ,
sorry to ask a dumb question ,but where is kiewa?
:B:B:B
cheers smiife

Jim Carroll
28th November 2011, 08:14 PM
hi guys ,
sorry to ask a dumb question ,but where is kiewa?
:B:B:B
cheers smiife
For you it a 12 hour drive south, Just outside Albury Victoria

smiife
29th November 2011, 06:41 PM
thanks jim,
might have to find something a bit closer to home:o:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
29th November 2011, 08:54 PM
Thought I'd google the route from here, 7 hours 13 mins and 613 km (the extra hour is to get out of Sydney, probably :doh:)

but I've no idea why it wants me to turn off the Hume at Gundagai and go through Wagga and Henty etc rather than straight down the Hume through Tarcutta and Holbrook etc. I suppose the 'bidgee could be in flood but then it could be a problem in Wagga too.

But the alternate route is through Cooma and is 695 km, I know some of those back roads out of Canberra would make it shorter but not sure the Mazda could handle them (only real 4WDs need apply)

nz_carver
30th November 2011, 08:19 AM
So Nick do this mean your in to?

wheelinround
30th November 2011, 08:29 AM

If he goes with you in Pat's car thats less room for tools and stuff, Pat best get a tow bar and trailer fitted:;

jefferson
30th November 2011, 09:48 AM
If he goes with you in Pat's car thats less room for tools and stuff, Pat best get a tow bar and trailer fitted:;

Last I heard was that Pat was thinking about hiring a truck.

A Duke
30th November 2011, 10:06 AM
Last I heard was that Pat was thinking about hiring a truck.
Is that to bring stuff or take it?:wink:
Regards
ps There should be a wooden spoon icon for us stirrers.

Sawdust Maker
30th November 2011, 11:09 AM

I'd like too, just working out the feasibility aspects - I probably have enough brownie points to get away for a few days.

Could possibly train it down on the 27th if someone could pick me up from Albury

jefferson
30th November 2011, 11:34 AM
I'd like too, just working out the feasibility aspects - I probably have enough brownie points to get away for a few days.

Could possibly train it down on the 27th if someone could pick me up from Albury

Nick, I'm sure we can pick you up from the station and get you out to where it's all happening no worries. :2tsup:

wheelinround
30th November 2011, 01:26 PM

Using your FREE pensioner ticket Nick :U

nz_carver
30th November 2011, 02:21 PM
Well if u can leve on 26th nick come with me and Pat but check with him 1st

nz_carver
16th December 2011, 05:51 PM
As of 4pm today it looks like I can't make it :((
3 family xmass diners 25th 26th 28th
And have to help tiff move

wheelinround
16th December 2011, 05:58 PM
As of 4pm today it looks like I can't make it :((
3 family xmass diners 25th 26th 28th
And have to help tiff move

Ask them to freeze it till you get back.

Way to go Tiff a place to call your own :2tsup: shame your not moving in too says Merv I'll bet eh Dave.:;

Sawdust Maker
19th December 2011, 09:30 AM
Bad luck Dave

On my front - I've run the idea past LOML and she is not negative on the idea - so I may be able to make it

The trains get in at 4:12 am or 3:20 pm. So which train is it best to meet me at? I assume 3:20 pm :rolleyes:

Or the plane gets in at 9:15 am

Pat
19th December 2011, 11:55 AM
The Plane, the Plane:U

Either way, you have a lift back to Wollongong, if you want.

jefferson
19th December 2011, 12:36 PM
Nick, the late train (on the 26th) or the 9.30 plane on the 27th sound fine. I'll have a camp bed ready for you so you can snuggle in next to Pat in the shed. The A/C should cool you down in any case...... :D:D:D

Let us know, you don't need to bring anything except a change of clothes. There will be two Stubbies plus three Vicmarcs to play on. Focus this year is on BIG, assuming my mate Harry D. can find us some decent lumps of wood.

RETIRED
19th December 2011, 12:52 PM
oooooooo, more mess Yummo. :roflmao:

Pat
19th December 2011, 01:43 PM
Jeff, if Harry has more Walnut, I'll be into that. I finally turned some from a previous Kiewa adventure. Beautiful stuff to turn. Pity about my selection of a knotted piece, but long curlies were flying of my lathe.

I'll bring down some McJing specials and my Thommo's.

Pat
20th December 2011, 05:34 AM
A couple pics of the Walnut, the finished one is the "rescued" bowl, after using the bowl saver. The unfinished one is the outer.

The Yellow box Burl is what i have been working on, but I think it needs a little softening.

wheelinround
20th December 2011, 07:52 AM
A couple pics of the Walnut, the finished one is the "rescued" bowl, after using the bowl saver. The unfinished one is the outer.

The Yellow box Burl is what i have been working on, but I think it needs a little softening.

Nice work Pat. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Jim Carroll
20th December 2011, 08:34 AM
Nice work Pat, Like the way you have set up the lathe Vertically:D. easier to work over the bowl that way:2tsup:

Going to be interesting to see how you soften the burl, dont they generally get harder with age. :rolleyes:

Pat
20th December 2011, 08:54 AM
I don't know about softening it, but I might put it on the outboard side of the lathe and see if that makes it easier to turn.

It's harder than Hades :;

Sawdust Maker
20th December 2011, 12:06 PM
After a tight hardfought no holds barred negotiation I've been cleared to attend
So I'm heading down by big silver bird and will be landing at Albury at about 9:35 am

Pat
20th December 2011, 12:59 PM
Looks like I have a co pilot for the trip back.

jefferson
20th December 2011, 08:44 PM
After a tight hardfought no holds barred negotiation I've been cleared to attend
So I'm heading down by big silver bird and will be landing at Albury at about 9:35 am

The wife (Anne) will pick Nick up from the airport at 9.30 or thereabouts. Given 's usual habits, that means the turning will already have started from around 7am. That's right, Pat, be ready for an early start Tuesday morning. (For those not in the know, Pat will be sleeping in the last bay of the shed in relative comfort).

Another Sydney-sider out in the shed! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The newish 1200 Stubby should be installed and to ready to go Boxing Day. I'm making room for it (it's not mine!), surrounding by blue Vicmarcs.

Sawdust Maker
20th December 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks Anne
I hope she has one of those placards like the limo drivers have at the international airports :D

RETIRED
20th December 2011, 09:00 PM
:D it can be arranged. :roflmao:

wheelinround
20th December 2011, 09:02 PM
Will it have

Nick ORF

on it :U

Pat
20th December 2011, 09:48 PM
Jeff, I have gotten use to sauntering in before 0700.

rsser
21st December 2011, 12:09 PM
Nice work Pat, Like the way you have set up the lathe Vertically:D. easier to work over the bowl that way:2tsup:

Thought that was a standard lay-down turner position as used by NSW turners? :wink:

Jeff, how can we continue to dub you the grasshopper when you tell us there's a lathe in the shed that's not yours?!

wheelinround
21st December 2011, 12:42 PM
Thought that was a standard lay-down turner position as used by NSW turners? :wink:

Jeff, how can we continue to dub you the grasshopper when you tell us there's a lathe in the shed that's not yours?!

Its true Ern but when they get to that stage they seem to move to Victoria and retire.

jefferson
21st December 2011, 08:23 PM
I must fess up.

The two Stubbies here over the break are not mine.

One is Ken W's - the little baby Omega.

The other was Ken's but has found a new owner and will reside in my shed for a time.

I still have my heart set on a 750 Stubby for bigger bowls and mostly platters that my VL 300 can't easily handle inboard.

Now a VL 600 would cure all my worries..... :D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2011, 08:36 PM
Stubbies and Vicmarcs ... almost lathe heaven

I'll bring down my two small Thommo bowl gouges - a V and a U - for people to have a play with.
We'll need to put a handle on one though as I haven't had a chance to do so yet :doh:

jefferson
21st December 2011, 09:40 PM
We did an impromptu comparison between the Thompson, the new Vicmarcs and a P & N down at 's place a few weeks back.

My recollection is that all seemed on a par. Surprising, but the P & N just kept cutting.

Pat
21st December 2011, 09:54 PM
Now a VL 600 would cure all my worries..... :D:D:D

Or a VB 36:;

I wonder if Harry would notice :roll:

rsser
22nd December 2011, 04:32 PM
P&N is good steel; no argument. Our Aussie tool, but, oh, the steel comes from Austria was it? ;-}

Thompson V10s in my experience anyway are good for high silica timbers. Beat HT in this application.

Will lob in to say hello on the 28th if I may.

jefferson
22nd December 2011, 06:32 PM
Ern, it will be good to see you on the 28th. Please try to make it before 4pm as we have a BBQ that evening.

I didn't know P & Ns came from Austria. Interesting isn't it? What's the real price of the tool worth?

rsser
22nd December 2011, 08:23 PM
K.

Will be riding through to Mt Beauty; not sure of the time but most likely after 4 so another time.

Sawdust Maker
22nd December 2011, 09:27 PM
Ern, it will be good to see you on the 28th. Please try to make it before 4pm as we have a BBQ that evening.

I didn't know P & Ns came from Austria. Interesting isn't it? What's the real price of the tool worth?

P&N import the steel (from somewhere?)

Ern - would like to meet you if you're wandering in

rsser
24th December 2011, 07:16 PM
Same here Nick but it seems that the timing is unlikely to match Jeff's program.

Pat
25th December 2011, 05:58 PM
Car packed and fully fuelled. Driving solo down and with another New South Welshman back. Jeff, I'll ring you when I hit Albury.

Toys check
Sleeping mat check
Sleeping Bag check
Money check
VB for Jeff . . . :;

powderpost
25th December 2011, 09:10 PM
You lot drive safely and carefully, please, and have a ball. Good luck to all of you. You should really try XXXX, it is a much better beer.
Jim

wheelinround
26th December 2011, 08:58 AM
Pat just left Gundagai .........Macca's have to restock after his breakfast order :U

Have fun all:2tsup:

jefferson
26th December 2011, 09:59 AM
You lot drive safely and carefully, please, and have a ball. Good luck to all of you. You should really try XXXX, it is a much better beer.
Jim

Jim, in all my time I've never met a Victorian who liked XXXX. So sorry but it tastes like.....

And yes, safe travelling to all.

tea lady
26th December 2011, 10:02 AM
Jim, in all my time I've never met a Victorian who liked XXXX. So sorry but it tastes like.....and he only drinks it for the taste.:p:D

Have fun everyone. I am fixing up my shed. Will have to have a shed warming soon! :cool: You can all see what little you need! :C:p

dai sensei
26th December 2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry I can't make it :(. I did think about it, and if I didn't take my holidays down in Melb in October, I would have come. But 1200kms each way is a bit far to drive there and back in the few days I have off till NYE.

Have fun and take lots of photos :U

wheelinround
26th December 2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry I can't make it :(. I did think about it, and if I didn't take my holidays down in Melb in October, I would have come. But 1200kms each way is a bit far to drive there and back in the few days I have off till NYE.

Have fun and take lots of photos :U

Neil I reckon there should be a live feed for us unable to attend :; we could sit at our lathes wood at the ready avoiding the rush to turn down there.

Of course the chatter, food beer and mateship might be missed.

Sawdust Maker
26th December 2011, 07:35 PM
One sleep to go :U

jefferson
26th December 2011, 09:40 PM
Well, the arrivals have been in fits and starts::rolleyes:

- delayed ETA until tomorrow early AM - wife Boxing Day shopping:D
Jim Carroll - delayed - expectant grandfather:2tsup:
Ken Wraight - delayed, arrived late with 2 Stubbies in tow - hailstorms and a flooded workshop caused the delay:(
Pat - always on time - had an afternoon kip and early to bed tonight for a big couple of days.:wink:
Most of the day trippers arriving tomorrow.

No pics as yet. Will take some before and after shots of the shed clean and filthy. Pat brought a 22mm P & N bowl gouge. Dunno what he uses it for though!

govarney
26th December 2011, 10:30 PM
Jeff,

What time is kick-off tomorrow ?

jefferson
26th December 2011, 10:35 PM
Jeff,

What time is kick-off tomorrow ?

We've got to unload the big Stubby (1200 swing) from Ken's trailer around 8.30-9.00am so any time around then to lend a hand would be great.

See you both tomorrow!

govarney
26th December 2011, 10:36 PM
Cool Bananas

jefferson
27th December 2011, 10:11 PM
Near 10 am and the shed is closed for business.

Photos to be posted tomorrow. Beer o'clock and then some.

One spectular redgum fiddleback natural edge platter almost completed bar the final sanding - about 750mm at the long edge. Many thanks to Ken W. and for the lessons. Lots of fiddleback.

Specky wood meant heaps of spectators today, so not much else done.

Pat half-turned a lovely piece of bird's eye redgum....... Result posted tomorrow. (The troops are talking of trying to save the piece in the morning......)

Nick - AKA Sawdust Maker - has retired to the shed with Pat for snoring lessons.

More tomorrow.

Dean M
27th December 2011, 10:28 PM
Awesome looking forward to photos!!! Regards Dean

wheelinround
28th December 2011, 07:37 AM
:2tsup: Ah Pat well done got to keep them thinking

You mean that was the awful noise we heard Pat & Nick snoring it wasn't the rumble of distant thunder :q

Jim Carroll
28th December 2011, 07:47 AM
Ahh serenity at last the birds are chipring and a new day dawns

Now to have a look and see what has distorted overnight.

sturina
28th December 2011, 08:30 AM
Sounds like everybody is having a ball! I will have to try and make one of these events one day.

tea lady
28th December 2011, 08:42 AM
Sounds like very specky wood! :cool:

Wish I was there now. But getting my own "workshop" in shape ....... :sigh:

Maybe if I left now.........

:doh::U

Ross
28th December 2011, 02:27 PM
Ray

Have you noticed how quiet it is from down there?

Ross

wheelinround
28th December 2011, 02:42 PM
Ray

Have you noticed how quiet it is from down there?

Ross

Well funny you should mention that Ross during sleeping hours as I said I thought sounds of rolling thunder from down south. But once the sun is up not a sound no sawdust clouds either must be little happening :;

OR

They are all ducking for cover while Pat is turning :U lots of talking, drinking, eating.

Ross
28th December 2011, 02:47 PM
What do you think..........no photos didn't happen?

Ross

Grumpy John
28th December 2011, 09:41 PM
:whs:

:pics:

jefferson
28th December 2011, 09:57 PM
Pics will come tomorrow or soon after.

It has happened. One lovely platter, courtesy of mainly Ken W. and and Harry D. sanding. A gallery piece.

No UFOs yet.

A couple close. (I dare not mention names).

Apparently if we start early (we, as in the Royal We), all problems can be rectified.

A lot to report. One too many beers to be accurate, but the NSW contingent have learnt a few tricks at least.

Cliff Rogers
28th December 2011, 10:38 PM
....the NSW contingent have learnt a few tricks at least.
That is good... yer wasting yer time trying to teach/tell Victorians anything. :D

wheelinround
29th December 2011, 08:17 AM
:exactly::aro-u:

:pics::worthless:

These late starts " Vic bankers hours" must be hard on the NSW pair, the suns been up for hours and still no signs of activity.

Ross
29th December 2011, 08:31 AM
VB hours?

govarney
29th December 2011, 08:50 AM
Photos as requested

wheelinround
29th December 2011, 09:23 AM
:2tsup: Thanks for those of the Vic mob.

I see the NSW boys are out on their own over the back.

Allan at Wallan
29th December 2011, 08:12 PM
Little clouds of red dust coming down Pretty Sally Hill
today .... reckon it's those turners up at Kiewa creating them.

There again it might be a lot of "bull" dust being spread around.:D

Allan

wheelinround
29th December 2011, 09:49 PM
Last day yesterday and all is quiet on the front line dust has settled troops are/have headed home. War injuries being counted, booty being hidden from wondering eyes of SWMBO well till the MC bill arrives.