PDA

View Full Version : Shellawax Cream

smidsy
9th January 2005, 12:02 AM
I should probably ask this to but I thought I'd put it to the group.

Used shellawax cream (only used the wax stick before) for the first time today and very happy with the finish except for one question.

The cream requires heat to set it off so I would think run the lathe as fast as I can, but the Vicmarc bowl jaws are limited to 1000rpm.

Is this going to generate enough heat and friction to get the full effects of the polish?

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
9th January 2005, 01:30 AM
To generate heat you need friction. Now remember the sanding lesson: If the paper burns your fingers, the speed is too high or you are pressing too hard.

Apply that to your project spinning at 1000....the variable is the pressure. With increased pressure and a bit of patience it will go off like usual. You are saving such a lot of time by using Shellawax as your finish, a few seconds longer will make no difference. Bowl jaws are usually used for bowls, bowls have a fairly large diameter and will generate enough heat spinning at 1000 rpm.

:)

RETIRED
9th January 2005, 02:07 AM
What Joe said. Just remember to go down through the grits.

barnsey
9th January 2005, 11:02 AM
What they all said.

Go down through the grits, apply EEE and burnish with that, then apply the shellawax cream. Brilliant :D

The above was not a paid advertisement for Ubeaut :cool:

Think it should be now that I read it :eek: :eek: :D

rsser
9th January 2005, 03:09 PM
Is this going to generate enough heat and friction to get the full effects of the polish?

Cheers
Paul

Well if it doesn't Paul, go down through the grits with your missus

;)

(But I guess friction generates heat in proportion to speed, pressure and surface roughness. 1000 rpm on a medium bowl should be heaps of speed at the point at which you're applying pressure).

Babytoolman
12th January 2005, 03:35 PM
Hi paul,

I use my hand to create the friction needed to get it to go off. I find it adds a bit to it.
I have been using glow and EEE and it comes up great.

Roger

ubeaut
12th January 2005, 05:44 PM
Not a good practise Roger.

Firstly, for the polish to work correctly it needs to be put on under pressure and the extreme heat created by friction. For it to work properly you wouldn't have any skin left on your hand after the first use.

Secondly, putting a mixture of shellac, ethanol, turpentine and other stuff on your hand is going to give you some kind of skin problem sooner or later.

Thirdly, no where in the application instructions does it say to use your bare hand to apply the friction.... Nowhere!! I looked again incase I had put in a typo.

Finally, STOP IT NOW......... OR YOU'LL GO BLIND!:eek:

Cheers - Neil :D

bitingmidge
12th January 2005, 05:48 PM
...but he won't have any hairs on his palms though!!!

:D :D :D

P