PDA

View Full Version : GMC Thicknesser Dust Collection

hingston
9th January 2005, 08:25 PM
I have a GMC thicknesser which I have been using to process some old Jarrah beams. It is doing a good job but it is a messy a hell. Red dust and chips every where!

GMC do not sell the attachment and looking around on the forum some have used the Timercon chute on their Ryobi thicknessers (which are similar). Has anyone fitted a dust collector to thier GMC ?

noodle_snacks
9th January 2005, 11:52 PM
I brought the same machine a few days ago and have the same question, I will probably fabricate something if know one knows however.

SWR
10th January 2005, 12:39 PM
I too purchased a GMC thcknesser and I too generated a massive amount of red shavings doing some jarrah stock. As many of these "budget" thicknessers are all based on a similar or same chassis, with a different colour panels and very slight variations - will the chip collector with a dust port from say, the Sherwood or Ryobi fit and work.

Has anyone explored this option? Does anyone know which of the "cheapie" models actually have a dust port on their chip collection.

It needs something because three minutes of planing generated a small duststorm in the workshop.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Scott in Peakhurst.

hingston
10th January 2005, 12:49 PM
The sherwood from timbercon has one for approx $50

In onther thread they said they got it to fit a Ryobi with some minor modiciations.

Dean
10th January 2005, 10:35 PM
Yep I have the dust hood from Timbecon fitted to my Ryobi AP13.
It just required about 5 nuts on each bolt to act as spacers so I could tighten it up.

Does the GMC have a rounded chip deflector on it secured by 2 screws (one on either side? If so, then you should be able to get the Timbecon hood to fit, but i'd like to see a piccie of the GMC's hood/back end before I'd say for sure :)

Dean
10th January 2005, 10:39 PM
Actually I just downloaded and looked at the GMC thicknesser manual online and while the pic wasn't absolutely clear, I'd be fairly certain the Ryobi AP13 is pretty much the same machine as the GMC model, and as such, the Timbecon hood should fit fine.

It's great to be able to run a chunk of timber through the thicknesser and have it come out the other side with no sign of dust or chips :) Well worth the $49 for the hood in my opinion.

noodle_snacks
11th January 2005, 12:40 AM
It is secured by two wing nuts either side, and looks bloody similar to the ryobi to me.

Peter Young
11th January 2005, 01:08 AM
It is secured by two wing nuts either side, and looks bloody similar to the ryobi to me.
I too have a GMC thicknesser and had same problem so I mounted it on a portable bench and cut top out off bench so there is a hole behind machine then filled in sides of bench and put a rubber strip across the chip deflector so everything drops down into the hollow under bench.fitted trapdoor to one end to make it easy to clean out :)

hingston
11th January 2005, 03:58 PM
I spoke to timbecon today. I am ordering one and should have to fit by the weekend. I will let you know how I go.

Dean
11th January 2005, 04:11 PM
Sounds great.
I found that because the Timbecon version doesn't have the rounded dome shape that the standard chip deflector has, that the screws holding it down didn't have enough thread on them to latch onto a retainer nut, so I just used a couple of larger nuts slipped over the screw to act as spacers. You will probably need to do the same.

hingston
13th January 2005, 08:00 PM
The timbecon unit arrived today. Fitted perfectly. No modifications required to either hood or thicknesser. Picks up all the dust and 99% of the chips. A few escape to the front of the unit.
<O:p></O:p>

Installation procedure.<O:p></O:p>

1 Remove 2 wing nuts and remove existing GMC dust deflector.<O:p></O:p>

2 Remove the 2 threaded studs. (The ones that had the wing nuts on)<O:p></O:p>

3 Slide in Timbecon dust hood<O:p></O:p>

4 use the bolts included with the new hood to screw into the threaded hole in the thicknesser<O:p></O:p>

5 Attach 4" dust collector hose.<O:p></O:p>

NB. Due the construction of the new hood the thicknesser should not be used without the dust collector connected and running.<O:p></O:p>

It cost me $49.95 + P&H<O:p></O:p>

noodle_snacks
14th January 2005, 12:55 AM
Where is this chute on the timbecon site?

PS I emailed GMC pointing to this thread and they said that it was something they were definately considering for their next model.

noodle_snacks
14th January 2005, 01:01 AM
Where is this chute on the timbecon site?

PS I emailed GMC pointing to this thread and they said that it was something they were definately considering for their next model.

Dean
14th January 2005, 12:11 PM
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12514&parentid=12472&prodid=27976

Then check the "variations" drop-down box at the bottom, but I think the dust chute comes up as the default selection anyway. Should show a price of $49.50 up the top right of the product details.

hingston
14th January 2005, 12:18 PM
You can find the dust chute on the website at the following location.

http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12514&parentid=12472&prodid=27976

The part number is MB-1931-DH
Cost $49.50

There is however no picture on the website. In the printed catalouge the do have a picture. Most of their stuff is sherwood and painted a hoible orange color. The dust chute is painted black matches in well.

I also wrote also to GMC a while ago and the sugestion was passed on to product development.

Suresh
17th January 2005, 11:25 AM
I bought a hood from Get Woodworking in Williamstown, works fine. just hooked up the 100 hose from the dust collector and no more thicknesser mess.
Suresh

noodle_snacks
19th January 2005, 11:32 PM
I haven't got around to getting my hood yet, but I planed down 72 meters of 25mm thick tasoak to 18mm today, i took the thing into the garden and ended up with a small mountain of sawdust...