PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Hare & Forbes Lathe wl-46

Jerryj
27th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Hi
Was hoping to get some feedback from the owners of the Hare & Forbes WL-46 looks good but is it ?

Cheers Jerryj

Big Shed
27th September 2011, 11:03 PM
I bought one about 18 months ago after looking at every other wood lathe on the market.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/changing-guard-115302/

Still happy with my choice, would buy it again.

There are several other members of the forum that have one, I expect they'll chime in as well.

Highly recommended.

tch'
28th September 2011, 08:53 AM
I have had this lathe (but by another name, from Pop's Shed) for just on a month now and so far have been very impressed, any particular questions? Admittedly I have only been turning for a month so havent done any crazy big pieces or anything, the largest is a redgum burl I'm fininshing up at the moment but it is not round, and rather heavy (probably 10 kg+?) and the lathe hasn't so much as even seemed like struggling.

mimpi
28th September 2011, 02:49 PM
yup I also recommend this lathe. Its really nice for the price and very sturdy. I had some issues with matching a sn2 chuck + insert which is documented in here somewhere but now its all working sweetly. its a heavy unit so installation needs care on your back if you dont have lifting equipment you will need two strong blokes.
I have had mine about 4 months now I guess.

Jerryj
28th September 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Big Shed Tch' and Mimpi

Thanks for all the feedback sounds very good I think I will go and have a look.

Cheers Jerryj

Treecycle
28th September 2011, 10:54 PM
I brought my WL-46 lathe a few months before Big Shed after a good recommendation from another member. After some initial problems with machining quality on the castings, I have been very happy with it. I have not done a lot of heavy turning, but it has been used a lot on smaller items and has not faulted. It would be hard to go back to belt changes after having EVS, and it is quiet, smooth, and heavy. Good value for money even though the price has gone up a bit since I brought mine.

Jerryj
19th November 2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Guys
Just to let you know Hare & Forbes have just had their big sale here in Perth. I could not resist (WL-46) as it was discounted by $264.00. At the same time a also purchased a wheel dressing attachment for tiger 2500 wet grinder reduced in the sale to $79.00 and they gave that purchase without even asking. Very please with that. I have the lathe in the shed operating and love the machine.

Thanks for all you input
Jerryj