PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Conversion

sturina
29th September 2011, 10:25 AM
Another thread and recent events got me thinking. So far I have used a friends grinder to sharpen my turning tools. He has packed up and moved and my grinder is a cheap ALDI one I was given with the wrong wheels for grinding my tools. I want to buy my own white wheels to sharpen my chisels. I have looked at the specks of mine and it is 150 x 16mm. All the discs I have looked at are at least 25mm wide. Can I mount these on my grinder or am I best of just buying a new one? Is a cheap grinder worth the effort anyway? Will probably be near Carbatec tomorrow and it is their sale in Sydney. Need to be armed with answers to release cash from the finance minister.

Thanks

sturina
29th September 2011, 10:35 AM
Think I may have answered my own question as the shaft diameter is only 12.7mm most of the grinding wheels seem to be wider in diameter. All the Norton ones seem to be 31.75mm. Guess I may need to go shopping :U unless anyone can correct me.

bellyup
29th September 2011, 11:15 AM
G'day Sturina,
I purchased a new JBS 200mm 1/2 hp grinder ( I think it is an Abbott and Ashby just re-badged) from Blackwoods for about $120 - very pleased with it.
Bruce

vk4
29th September 2011, 01:06 PM
Grinding wheels are sold with a set of BUSHES , so that they can be mounted on different machines.

If the ALDI Machine is 200mm and 3/4 hp your good to go, if the grinder is only 150mm wheel and 1/2 hp or less , I strongly suggest that you spend the Dollars and buy a 200mm wheel grinder with a 3/4hp motor as a minimum.

BUY a WHITE wheel , I would suggest 80 GRIT and 120 on the other side . You can then fine finish on the 120Grit wheel.

I have only the 80Grit and for me that is sufficient.

Jeff

Jim Carroll
29th September 2011, 01:37 PM
You could put the 25mm wheel on your grinder but keep in mind the motor may not like the extra load or the shaft may not be long enough to accept the wider wheel. You may also not be able to put the outside guard back on.

You are sharpening your tools not grinding steel so a 150mm grinder will work fine.

Most people prefer the 200mm grinders as it gives a slightly less hollow grind compared to the 150mm.

If all you have is 150mm then this will be fine just make sure you get the white aluminium oxide wheels.

sturina
29th September 2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the input everybody. I haved decided to upgrade. Any advice on which grinder? I have been looking at the Axminster 8" slow speed from Carbatec Axminster 8" Slow Speed Grinder : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/axminster-8-slow-speed-grinder_c1910)

It seems to fit my budget, but looking for other recommendations.

Thanks

bellyup
29th September 2011, 09:08 PM
If it already has the right size and grit wheels on it you need, could be a good buy - havn't tried a slow grinder though the theory sounds right. The only downside is that it would be a dedicated sharpening grinder.
Bruce

Jim Carroll
29th September 2011, 09:33 PM
If you are going the slow grinder way spend the extra and get the Cruesen slow speed grinder, yes it is a 6" grinder but it is really a sweet little grinder.

It comes with the 60 and 100g white wheels as standard runs really smooth

These are a danish grinder a lot higher quality compared to the axminister.

Sturdee
29th September 2011, 11:06 PM
If you are going the slow grinder way spend the extra and get the Cruesen slow speed grinder, yes it is a 6" grinder but it is really a sweet little grinder.

It comes with the 60 and 100g white wheels as standard runs really smooth

These are a danish grinder a lot higher quality compared to the axminister.

I've got one and it's a beauty, extremely quiet and vibration free, no regrets spending the extra.

Peter.

hughie
30th September 2011, 01:53 PM
[You could put the 25mm wheel on your grinder but keep in mind the motor may not like the extra load or the shaft may not be long enough to accept the wider wheel. You may also not be able to put the outside guard back on.

This what I would do, why spend the extra? I have two grinders one is 150mm, old as the hills and has now a 25 wide wheel on it and works fine.

If your Aldi is 3/4hp should not be a problem, if its only 1/2hp, hmm. well it might be a problem.

As Jim has said your sharpening only, minimal steel removal, not bulk removal of steel.

sturina
30th September 2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks everybody. I looked at the one I had and by my calculations it was only a 1/4 hp. Was in Sydney so went and checked out what was available. Due to the tight budget I ended up with the Axminster. I've hada little play with it this afternoon and I love it. I also investedin a jig, so much better than what i was using. My Chisels look nearly new again, now to test them out.

vk4
30th September 2011, 07:03 PM
Way to go:d:d