PDA

View Full Version : just starting

cookie30
30th September 2011, 02:45 AM
I am looking to start doing a little turning so I add some more stuff to my woodworking. I was just wanting to know what would be a good starting lathe and what size? I mite do some pens and bowls, but mostly table legs and stuff like that. Also what tools would be good to start with? I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg for just starting out. thanks mike

artme
30th September 2011, 08:08 AM
G'day Cookie and welcome o the fount of knowledge!!:):2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

If ypou are going to do table legs then you will need a lathe with the appropriate length bed. Most table legs are about 800mm long so your bed will need to be longer than that.

Another point is that you can turn small things - like pens - on a big lathe but you can't turn big things on a small lathe.

Good luck with the layhe hunting!!:)

vk4
30th September 2011, 08:29 AM
Even though you are just starting out , do not buy cheap tooling :((, as it will cost you more in the end to replace it.:((:((:((

You do not have to buy top shelf ,but you should buy good quality tooling from the start:):),it is cheaper in the long run, HSS steel chisels , a good scroll chuck, and a reasonable quality Lathe JET , LEDA and VICMARC, are good brands over here (AUSTRALIA), there are some good machines coming from CHINA but you have to be careful with their quality.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also when it come to your abrasives, use a WHITE Aluminum Oxide wheel for sharpening, Check the FORUM here for CBN Thread, it is interesting .

I would also have a look around for a local Wood Turning Group and Join:rolleyes:, as They will be able to advise on Lathes ETC in your local market.

Jeff

hughie
30th September 2011, 02:07 PM
Have a think about what you would like to turn now and into the future, at this point it maybe a tough ask but give it some thought anyway.

Add to this your budget and you will find that you pretty well have eliminated most of the lathes out there.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the darn accessories, over time they can and often do dwarf the cost of any lathe :C :o :U

Sometimes a budget lathe is the way to go and save the $$$ for quality tools, 'cos a fancy lathe wont make you a fancy turner. But lousy quality tools will frustrate you no end and hamper your turning.

Consider buying second hand, often you can buy a quality second hand lathe at a budget price, have a look at Craigs List and join a club

Grommett
30th September 2011, 07:34 PM
Best advice, join a club. For example our club has four different types of lathe for people to try out and heaps of good advice from the members about lathes, tools etc etc. Good luck.:2tsup: