PDA

View Full Version : mulberry platter

bowl-basher
30th September 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi All
I was given this bit of Mulberry only to find that it is in fact a burl:oo:
I was not aware that burls formed on fruit trees such as Mulberry
there is also a bit of spalting normaly blue stain is a no no but this looks rather good The close up of the surface shows the swirls and lines of the burl
It is 240 in dia and is about 5mm thick (not game to go any further:no:)
Finished to 600 and 4 coats of Mirrotone precat 3210 30% gloss
love your comments
Bowl basher

bench1holio
30th September 2011, 03:38 PM
wow! what a stunning peice of mullberry :2tsup:

turnerted
30th September 2011, 05:34 PM
Great looking bowl with lots of character.
On my last trip to the tip with a box trailor load of green waste I was disgusted to be charged over $40, the minimum charge now. My mood changed when as I was unloading ,I noticed a small pile of yellow green coloured logs and on investigation proved to be mulberry so I drove home with about 30Kg in the boot . I now have 4 roughed out bowls and a hollow form drying out and hoping they don't split,\.
Ted

dai sensei
30th September 2011, 05:43 PM
Interesting platter :cool:

Can't say I have heard of fruit trees having burls, but on the other hand, why not.

On my last trip to the tip with a box trailor load of green waste I was disgusted to be charged over $40, the minimum charge now. My mood changed when as I was unloading ,I noticed a small pile of yellow green coloured logs and on investigation proved to be mulberry so I drove home with about 30Kg in the boot . I now have 4 roughed out bowls and a hollow form drying out and hoping they don't split,.
Ted

My tip is still free, but if they catch you taking stuff (even old branches :doh:), it certainly can become expensive. I think the fines start at $350 :o

mkypenturner
30th September 2011, 08:28 PM
Interesting platter :cool:

Can't say I have heard of fruit trees having burls, but on the other hand, why not.

My tip is still free, but if they catch you taking stuff (even old branches :doh:), it certainly can become expensive. I think the fines start at $350 :o
you can always ask first telling them that you want to turn it sometimes they say do you need a hand to load it !

mkypenturner
30th September 2011, 08:31 PM
oh and amazing piece :2tsup:

Scott
30th September 2011, 10:04 PM
Great piece of timber and you've done it justice, well done. :)

Paulphot
30th September 2011, 11:08 PM
Great piece of timber, I bet that would have had some tense moments on the lathe.

cookie48
30th September 2011, 11:32 PM
hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm interesting piece. It is nice for sure. plenty of character in it.

dr4g0nfly
1st October 2011, 01:16 AM
That is one beautiful piece of Mulberry. So glad to see you did not overwork it and let the figure speak for itself.

May be a silly question ( know, there are no silly questions) but what sort of Mulberry is it?

We have a lot of Black Mulberry here in the UK, planted in error and silkworms don't like them! Only ever managed to get branchwood for fruits.

Note to self - 'Must beg harder!'

bowl-basher
1st October 2011, 10:43 AM
That is one beautiful piece of Mulberry. So glad to see you did not overwork it and let the figure speak for itself.

May be a silly question ( know, there are no silly questions) but what sort of Mulberry is it?

We have a lot of Black Mulberry here in the UK, planted in error and silkworms don't like them! Only ever managed to get branchwood for fruits.

Note to self - 'Must beg harder!'
Not sure:?:? It was back yard tree and the fitch was given to me by the club member for helping him cut it up on the bandsaw
and was recived with glee
Regards
Bowl basher

tea lady
1st October 2011, 12:59 PM
Don't mulberry trees get "pollarded". Maybe its a bit from where all the branches ..... branched? :doh:

Pollarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollarding)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyIBZuAJPBJdeRkbTJ1pLXFDglMw91Z4k4UUR-qV1oI-Dcn-4Z

Oh! And nice platter! :cool:

Ed Reiss
2nd October 2011, 11:43 AM
It's full of holes, BB. :o You certainly don't want something like that in your home, do you? Send it this way and I'll deal with it for you.:U