PDA

View Full Version : Matching legs

ingin1
2nd October 2011, 10:15 AM
I had posted this in restoration, but I did not get any replies, so I thought it maybe should have been in this section, thanks.

I am restoring an old writing desk and have a bit of a problem. The four legs are turned quite elaborately and are "broken" at the half height by a shelf, so I need 8 identical legs each 280mm long and about 50 mm round at the largest size. Can ayone point me in the direction of someone who can produce such items at a reasonable cost?. Seven of the eight have borer activity, which I can treat if I cannot get 8 new ones, but one is borer and water damaged beyond rescue.

Thanks
Ingin

tea lady
2nd October 2011, 11:34 AM
and me of course! :cool::U

hughie
2nd October 2011, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=ingin1;1381854]I had posted this in restoration, but I did not get any replies, so I thought it maybe should have been in this section, thanks.

Ingin,

somebody is bound to have a go. But some pics of the legs etc would be handy.

ingin1
2nd October 2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, sorry. I will take some oics and post them asap

Thanks for the feedback
Regards
Ingin:doh:

ingin1
3rd October 2011, 12:34 PM
This is a photo of one of the 8 legs that make up the whole set. The legs come as two parts, top leg and lower leg, both identical and all that x 4. One of the 8 legs is beyond rescue due to dry rot and borers. So I need to know if someone can turn me a duplicate in a hardwood (not pine) and the cost to do so please.

Thanks Ian

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 02:35 PM
Need the diameter as well.

Pat
3rd October 2011, 02:39 PM
Need the diameter as well.
, try this . . .

280mm long and about 50 mm round at the largest size

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 03:12 PM
:doh:

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 03:18 PM
Yes I have read it properly now.:-

Do the legs have a tenon or hole so that they go through the shelf or do they just sit on?

ingin1
3rd October 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi ,
Sorry, I should have been more accurate. The largest diameter is infact 64mm, the length is correct at 280mm, I just measured it accurately. The legs are held in place using double ended screws, centered. I am considering replacing those with dowells, but in any case, a lathe centre point is all I need.

Regards Ian