PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Trophy

toddbron
16th October 2011, 01:04 PM
Hi,

Was asked to make a trophy for a trivia night at an upcoming work conference. It had to be future themed. So me being a science fiction nut I made a rocket ship on a stand. The rocket ship is made out of beefwood sanded to 800 and then finished with eee and shellawax. The upright is made out of an offcut of meranti and the base made out of a piece of timber borrowed from the father in laws shed.:U All sanded to 800 and finished with EEE and Shellawax. Looks pretty good I reckon. Now I just need to win the Trivia night.:D

Todd

tea lady
16th October 2011, 02:27 PM
Nice! But maybe you should put wings on it! :UKinda looks like it needs batteries otherwise! :C

toddbron
16th October 2011, 05:34 PM
Nice! But maybe you should put wings on it! :UKinda looks like it needs batteries otherwise! :C
Looks like a rocket to me. What does it look like to you???? LOL

tea lady
16th October 2011, 07:04 PM
Looks like a rocket to me. What does it look like to you???? LOLNever you mind! There'll be women at this trivia night won't there? :Don't say I didn't warn you! :q Specially if there is alcohol involved.:rolleyes:

cookie48
16th October 2011, 08:18 PM
BLAST OFF rekon its redy for nassa

toddbron
16th October 2011, 09:06 PM
Well,

As this trivia night will have women and alcohol involved I have modified the rocket so it doesn't look like something that needs batteries. If it raises nay thoughts like that you may need to get your head read. See what you think.

Todd

cookie48
16th October 2011, 09:27 PM
Tea lady.
You are one sick puppy. Who would have thought that?????????????????????

toddbron
16th October 2011, 09:33 PM
Tea lady.
You are one sick puppy. Who would have thought that?????????????????????
Hi,

In Tea Lady's defence we do have some very warped women in my workplace. And that is before alcohol.

Todd

Sturdee
16th October 2011, 09:58 PM
If it raises nay thoughts like that you may need to get your head read. See what you think.

Todd

So I need my head read as well, for I thought the same. :D Great minds think alike.:D

The extra little wings may stop it rolling around in a drawer but it still doesn't look like a rocket to me. The stubbed nose doesn't look right for a rocket.

Peter.

toddbron
16th October 2011, 10:38 PM
So I need my head read as well, for I thought the same. :D Great minds think alike.:D

The extra little wings may stop it rolling around in a drawer but it still doesn't look like a rocket to me. The stubbed nose doesn't look right for a rocket.

Peter.
Hi,

Quick lesson on Rocketry - contrary to popular belief not all rockets have pointy noses - pointy and edged surfaces are brilliant for atmospheric conditions. A little tip to you all - space is the absence of atmosphere - no need for pointy surfaces. Look at the following link -

Model of Friendship 7 on Atlas 6 Booster Rocket - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum (http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Abze4afkg0icLh-E8bk4-A.aspx)

The trophy is meant to be a representation of the future - please remove mind from gutter. I love positive criticism - not advice as to whether the article would be better served in a drawer with batteries.

Todd

Scott
16th October 2011, 10:47 PM
Ummm...

cookie48
16th October 2011, 11:08 PM
Todd.
Sorry got carried away with things. Actually I like it. Not only is it different but allso will be appreciated by whom ever wins it.

Sturdee
17th October 2011, 08:23 AM
please remove mind from gutter. I love positive criticism - not advice as to whether the article would be better served in a drawer with batteries.

Todd

Todd, I apologize if I have upset you.

But, in my defence, I formed my opinion on seeing the photo and still refrained from posting about it until such time you posted the following asking what we think of it.

Peter.

tea lady
17th October 2011, 08:35 AM
:C I was just trying to help! Really! It looks like a great trophy! :)

Ed Reiss
17th October 2011, 10:37 AM
uhhhhhh...probably not a HF, so there's no place to put the batteries :q

vk4
17th October 2011, 04:02 PM
I would look at adding some extra rocket booster modules to the outside, then the TROPHY could never be interpreted as being anything but a rocket.

Do not have to be large, but 3 small boosters of a different colour timber,:2tsup: would really set it off.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Jeff

toddbron
23rd October 2011, 05:27 PM
Hi,

Well the trophy has been won by a very happy group of highly inebriated women and one man. As advised there was a lot of phallic humour and I realised that I needed to get a sense of humour. Sorry for being precious about the comments posted. I actually did get a lot of comments from people on the night admiring the finish. This was the first time I used EEE products and must say i was very impressed.

The trophy will now be used as a perpetual trophy for when we have our yearly trivia nights.

Todd

Christos
23rd October 2011, 05:54 PM
I think it was a great effort. :2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
23rd October 2011, 06:24 PM
This thread reminds me why this is the best turning forum on the planet.
Discrete and funny @ the same time and yet still on topic.
Cheers and nice wordsmithing to all.
John
:D:2tsup:

tea lady
23rd October 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi,

Well the trophy has been won by a very happy group of highly inebriated women and one man. As advised there was a lot of phallic humour and I realised that I needed to get a sense of humour. Sorry for being precious about the comments posted. I actually did get a lot of comments from people on the night admiring the finish. This was the first time I used EEE products and must say i was very impressed.

The trophy will now be used as a perpetual trophy for when we have our yearly trivia nights.

Todd:U Ah well! Perhaps it was the perfect "rocket" for the situation! :cool: Glad it went down well! Although I'm sure rockets are supposed to go up! :think:

So did you get any orders for more? :D

Bushmiller
23rd October 2011, 08:02 PM
I understand Todd's initial reaction. I once made a gear knob for a car when I was at school. How can I put this? It was a long slim design very similar to a rocket. It was only years later when batteries became common place (joking) that I realised what I had done.

It was my innocent intention that had my nose out of joint. However, in the modern world I would suggest that, beautifully executed as the trophy was, it would have gone down very well (even now I can see that could be better phrased if I was more articulate) and from Todd's comments it made the evening. Well done.

Just on the subject of rocketry, isn't the streamlined shape required to escape the earth's gravity and minimise the effect of friction. I had always thought that it was only above our atmosphere that a non streamlined shape was viable.

Have you noticed how in science fiction movies the baddies ships are ugly and rectangular while the good guys' ships are smooooth? So I think once you had decided on a rocket, you were locked into the streamlined shape and it is hardly your fault if other industries have seen fit to copy the design for their purposes:wink:.

Really nice trophyand a very amusing thread. This is what it's all about.

Regards
Paul