PDA

View Full Version : Live and Driver centers

Christos
18th October 2011, 09:40 PM
I have a drive center that came with the lathe but this I discovered is too small (1MT). The taper hole in the headstock and tailstock are 2MT, confirmed via the last wood working show.

So I will be on the look out for a live and drive center. What are turners thoughts on what they use.

wheelinround
18th October 2011, 09:47 PM
McJings Live centres, Robert Sorby kit, Jet spur drives.

Jim Carroll
18th October 2011, 09:47 PM
Head stock end you have the spur drive which gives you a couple of options on size and shape, generally a 16mm or 25mm spur drive or the Robert sorby 1/2" or 7/8" steb centre.
The size you go for is generally dictated by the work you want to drive.

Tailstock end you have Cone centres or cup centre as well as the Robert Sorby Live Steb centre. The cup centres are generally prefered as well as the steb centres, again a lot to do wit the size you are driving.

Pat
18th October 2011, 09:58 PM
Teknatool Live centre (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Centres/nlc.htm) kit or Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)live centre are what I use.

RETIRED
18th October 2011, 11:04 PM
I prefer the 7/8" Steb centre for driving and a Woodfast revolving cup centre in the tail.

Coupla reasons: The Woodfast and Steb combined means that you can't overtighten the tail stock to hold the timber in.

Cone centres can split the wood or wear in to the timber in use requiring re tightening of the tailstock in use, whereas the Woodfast won't.

With both these centres they are well made and you will never need to buy anything else.

You can take the timber out of the lathe and it has a good chance of going back in the same place.

Tim the Timber Turner
19th October 2011, 10:38 AM
I prefer the 7/8" Steb centre for driving and a Woodfast revolving cup centre in the tail.

I use the steb type centre in Come & Try for the safety aspect.:2tsup:

I have found the generic ones from CT to be of harder steel than the original steb centres from Gerry Stebbings. They stay sharp longer and are cheaper than the current offerings from Sorby.

Woodfast live centres are great, I used the same one since the early eighty's. Must have done a quillon zillion billion revolutions in that time and the bearings are still perfect.

Dahm: there I go again, agreeing with .:doh: I'll have to get some therapy to try and get over this phobia.

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
19th October 2011, 11:34 AM
'tis a worry Tim.:wink:

rsser
19th October 2011, 12:36 PM
Some forum members have found QC probs with the Teknatool live centre kit; I didn't with mine and it offers a lot of mounting options.

An alternative to those mentioned so far is the Vermec kit.

If you are going to be doing big lumps on the lathe, a screw-on drive dog is good insurance against damaging the taper in the spindle.

For details on those 2, see Vermec's Tools (http://www.vermec.com/id1.html)

jchappo
19th October 2011, 04:22 PM
I have the Vermec kit too, which I find very versatile.
I am just waiting on delivery of the Axminster Matched Pair of Ring Centres (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-matched-pair-of-ring-centres-prod797244/) from the UK.
Very useful for off-centre work, and allows the piece to be swapped end-to-end.

wheelinround
20th October 2011, 09:05 AM
I have the Vermec kit too, which I find very versatile.
I am just waiting on delivery of the Axminster Matched Pair of Ring Centres (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-matched-pair-of-ring-centres-prod797244/) from the UK.
Very useful for off-centre work, and allows the piece to be swapped end-to-end.

Very nice should have said I would have got you to get a set for me if you would. John how much was the postage as i have found UK charges like a wounded bull.

jchappo
20th October 2011, 03:40 PM
Very nice should have said I would have got you to get a set for me if you would. John how much was the postage as i have found UK charges like a wounded bull.
I ordered two sets at 28 pounds each (34 less VAT).
Freight came in at 21 pounds.
After all bank and conversion charges, they cost $AUD66 each set.
Krookie got the other set:)

Allan at Wallan
20th October 2011, 04:16 PM
I use the steb type centre in Come & Try for the safety aspect.:2tsup:

I have found the generic ones from CT to be of harder steel than the original steb centres from Gerry Stebbings. They stay sharp longer and are cheaper than the current offerings from Sorby.

Woodfast live centres are great, I used the same one since the early eighty's. Must have done a quillon zillion billion revolutions in that time and the bearings are still perfect.

Dahm: there I go again, agreeing with .:doh: I'll have to get some therapy to try and get over this phobia.

Cheers

Tim:)

Tim, you have been told two quillion zillion billion times to never exaggerate:2tsup:

Allan

rsser
20th October 2011, 04:18 PM
Hyperbole never ever goes astray.

wheelinround
20th October 2011, 07:12 PM
I ordered two sets at 28 pounds each (34 less VAT).
Freight came in at 21 pounds.
After all bank and conversion charges, they cost each set.
Krookie got the other set:)

He would thanks for that John good price after all that. :2tsup:

wheelinround
22nd October 2011, 01:21 PM
Christos don't head to McJings till at least Wednesday they maybe down south.

Gary Pye has some specials ATM Accessories (http://www.garypye.com/cart.php?m=product_list&pageNumber=&catID=&c=32&v=&r=&id=&sortBy=&search=&shopByPrice=&viewAll=1&customListIds=&venID=)

You could do a fly down to Mel show and scoop a bargain

Paul39
24th October 2011, 10:25 AM
I don't know if Oneway is imported to AU.

I have this: Live Center (http://oneway.ca/spindle/live_center.htm)

I am well pleased. Note that it comes with the reversible bull nose cone, center point, full point cone, and knock out rod.

Mine came with the lathe, I'm not sure if I would pay new price. I have used every part of the set on different occasions.

For a drive center I use the chuck spur: MT Spurs and Chuck Spurs (http://oneway.ca/spindle/spurs.htm) which came with the chuck.

For small bowls, starting with a funny shaped chunk, I use the drive center and tail center to hold, cut a spigot or recess, remove the drive center, chuck the blank and proceed.

Christos
24th October 2011, 07:21 PM
There is a lot of information here and so much variety with that as well.

As it turned out I was at Carbatec and while they were still sorting things out with the transition I managed to pick up a economy drive center and a Premium 60 degree live center.

My timing was short and not the best as the new shipment had arrived just as I did and they were still taking things off the truck. :U

No matter I managed to get two items that would at least get me started in turning.

wheelinround
24th October 2011, 07:24 PM
Did you check out the chucks (not the chicks)

Paul39
25th October 2011, 02:04 AM
No matter I managed to get two items that would at least get me started in turning.

Agreed. The most important thing is to start turning, refinements can come later. When you add the second and third lathe, two or three of everything is handy.

Christos
25th October 2011, 01:56 PM
Agreed. The most important thing is to start turning, refinements can come later. When you add the second and third lathe, two or three of everything is handy.

If I do that it will be noticed on the number of tools that I aquire. At the moment no one knows the amount of tools that I currently aquired. Oddly thou neither do I. :happyb:

issatree
25th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Christos,
Well I made mine, & a very simple 1 it is.
I acquired a Jacobs Chuck ARBOR, for about $7, as they have a No. 2 MT.
So I put a bit of heat, that was to be the drive end, as the steel is very hard.
Let it cool, & with a lump of wood, gave it a bang, to make sure it would stay in the Head Spindle End.
I have a Skewchigouge, I made. It is like a Gouge without a Flute.
I used a reasonably high speed, & cut a Ring & Cone in the end. You need to go in a fair bit, so as to do a nice job on it.
I have 3 of different sizes.
One good point is, that your wood does not come out of the Lathe.
You can reheat if you think it should be, but I didn't bother.
I've been using this Drive for just on 8yrs.