PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet (aka card) scrapers in woodturning

rsser
20th October 2011, 03:44 PM
May be of interest:

Phil's Woodturning Tips | Card Scrapers (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodturning-tips-1110oct/philstip.html)

That said, a cabinet scraper works on its fine burr and on many of our timbers that won't last long and is a bit of a fiddle to reproduce.

For a bowl inside with some localised chipping or tear out, I lock the spindle and carefully use a 1" or 2" power sanding pad .... just lightly stroking the prob area to blend it in form-wise and going up through the grits.

dr4g0nfly
21st October 2011, 01:44 AM
I'd often used cabinet scrapers on a stationary piece of work when I had a small blemish I wanted to remove carefully before sanding.

But a few months ago we had a demonstration at our club by Mark Hancock who showed how to use them in a trailing mode on turning work for a fine finish - and after trying it I was amazed how easy it was to do and get a good finish.

Give it a go.

robo hippy
21st October 2011, 03:46 AM
I did try them out a few times. Thing is there isn't anything that I can do with one of them (at least while the wood is spinning) that I can't do with a standard bowl scraper, and the bowl scrapers have nice long handles on them.

robo hippy

Pat
21st October 2011, 09:34 AM
i use them on stationary bowls - Lathe turned off at power point, spindle lock engaged. Tiding up a the one #$%^^$#$ blemish, instead of the usual 1 more cut and stuff the entire bowl up.

They are especially useful in cleaning up the bottom of the bowl after turning of the tenon using cole jaws or similar with speed restrictions, when you dont want to spend years with the rotary sander:;

rsser
25th October 2011, 05:49 PM
You can of course get curved cabinet scrapers for a bowl inside.

Lee in the sharpening Bible says cabinet scrapers are not good on soft woods. The cutting angle is too great.

That's consistent with what I learned from Len Smith about turning scrapers.

And NeilS's tests with turning scrapers showed that taking the burr off and polishing the face appears to work best, localised blemishes aside.