PDA

View Full Version : Carba-Tec MSL-3815 lathe

Heilander
22nd October 2011, 11:22 PM
G'day Guys (or whatever):roll: I just picked up,not literally.a partially assembled, unused one for a song but it doesn't have a manual.
From what I can gather the manual isn't up to much anyway but every little helps eh?
If any one has one and can send me a copy or pdf,even snail mail I'd appreciate it.
Finally getting rid of my cheap Chinese heap of s*#8! after blowing the circuit breaker AGAIN!
Scotty

vk4
24th October 2011, 05:31 PM
can you through up a couple of PIC's of the parts , so we can see what it looks like ??

I could not find any ref to it.

Jeff

Heilander
24th October 2011, 11:46 PM
This is the lathe .it is assembled except for the 'c' shaped tool rest(for outboard turning?)The supplied stand is crap so I made a REALLY solid bench for it to cut down on the vibration and stop it going walkies.I havn't had a chance to turn anything yet.:C
I'll take a pic tomorrow if I can get a hand to lift the sodding thing :oo:
Scotty

SYDNEY TOOLS - Carba-Tec Electronic Variable Speed Wood Lathe (http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=8569)

vk4
25th October 2011, 08:33 AM
check out HARE & FORBES ML-38 it appears to be the some lathe.

Looks a nice unit I have the ML-20 with the manual speed control, and It's lighter, I may do what you have done and build a heavier stand as i have the same issue with vibration,and that causes problems.
If you contact Hare & Forbes they may copy the manual for you.

Jeff

Heilander
25th October 2011, 01:42 PM
check out HARE & FORBES ML-38 it appears to be the some lathe.

Looks a nice unit I have the ML-20 with the manual speed control, and It's lighter, I may do what you have done and build a heavier stand as i have the same issue with vibration,and that causes problems.
If you contact Hare & Forbes they may copy the manual for you.

Jeff[
Hi Jeff I sent them an email to see if they can help.It DOES look identical, probably a generic one which Carba-tec et al can re-badge eh?
By the way I made my bench for it using 4x3 hardwood legs,25mm ply + some some flooring(that snap together stuff) to finish the top,then edged it with 45mm pine.It weighs as much as the lathe!Still debating whether to make it mobile but it would defeat the purpose I think.
roll:Keith

vk4
25th October 2011, 10:15 PM
Keith,

You may still find that you need some weight low down, to dampen the vibrations from out of balance pieces ,

I saw That MRS BLACKIE added 2x20kg bags of sand to the stand, I am going to do this as well , as I have some large turning to do, the Treasurer has requested a large Fruit bowl,.

jeff

Heilander
25th October 2011, 11:42 PM
You may still find that you need some weight low down, to dampen the vibrations from out of balance pieces

I'm still beginning at turning so chucking massive eccentric lumps of wood on sideways is a wee bit scary but I'll keep it in mind :o
I bolted the bench to the wall pillars and can put a couple of eye dynabolts in the floor if necessary to stop it floating away in the next flood :2tsup:
Oh by the way ,Hare and Forbes sent me the PDF manual for the lathe.
Thanks to Richard Lim @machineryhouse.com
Cheers for the advice
Keith

sturina
26th October 2011, 08:08 AM
I have a smaller but similar Carbatec lathe. I built a bench and have sand bags on the bottom. It works well, but I would say it is not good for large off balance wood. At 500rpm even with weights the vibration can quickly cause the need for a change of undies.

vk4
27th October 2011, 01:35 AM
ain't it fun, especially when the lathe starts to walk across the floor:D:D:D:D:oo::oo:.

RETIRED
27th October 2011, 06:41 PM
ain't it fun, especially when the lathe starts to walk across the floor:D:D:D:D:oo::oo:.It wouldn't be in our place.:runaway::D

Heilander
27th October 2011, 11:02 PM
It wouldn't be in our place.:runaway::D

:rolleyes: wuss :U
finally had a go on the lathe!steady as a rock,no vibration even when knocking the corners off some big hardwood blanks.:D
Just waiting for the insert for my Vicmarc chuck so I can finish a couple of camphor laurel natural edge bowls

RETIRED
28th October 2011, 07:09 AM
:rolleyes: wuss :U
Yep, self preservation is high on the priority list.:wink:

vk4
30th October 2011, 10:58 PM
agreed:D:D:D