PDA

View Full Version : The new bench mallet

powderpost
24th October 2011, 10:28 AM
Got a bit upset yesterday and used my old bench mallet in a manner to which it was not accustomed. The handle broke :(( so I had to make a new one didn't I? Even had to get some new rings for the head. They are off cuts from a 50mm exhaust pipe. No finish, excepting for a bit of wax, it is a working tool after all. Turned the handle on 3 centres, an oval handle is much more comfortable to use.
Jim

Whaler1
24th October 2011, 10:45 AM
Very nice. What kind of timber did you use?

hughie
24th October 2011, 10:50 AM
Hmm, nice one Jim, looks like Silky Oak handle.

Mr Brush
24th October 2011, 11:12 AM
Very nice job - like the design :2tsup:

artme
24th October 2011, 02:20 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woody1
24th October 2011, 02:49 PM
What they all said above :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
24th October 2011, 02:50 PM
Ok handle broke but the head?

I'd hate to see what you were hitting the state its in:U oh yeh QLD.

powderpost
24th October 2011, 02:57 PM
Very nice. What kind of timber did you use?
The head is red tulip oak, hard, heavy, and very durable. The handle is fish tail oak. I arranged the medullary rays to be in line with the head for maximum strength.
Jim

powderpost
24th October 2011, 03:01 PM
Ok handle broke but the head?

I'd hate to see what you were hitting the state its in:U oh yeh QLD.
Actually I was working over a New South Welshman that couldn't learn how to bend a banana properly... :D :D :D
Jim

wheelinround
24th October 2011, 03:14 PM
Actually I was working over a New South Welshman that couldn't learn how to bend a banana properly... :D :D :D
Jim

:o QLDer's are behind the times aren't they down here we grow them bent now days have for years.

powderpost
24th October 2011, 10:32 PM
:o
down here we grow them bent now days have for years.
Yes but are they bent up or down on the bunch???? You see that is the difference. :p
Jim

dr4g0nfly
25th October 2011, 08:24 AM
I'd suggest a rub of oil.

I use linseed for a tool finish, give it just a little protection from the sweat and oils in your hands.

wheelinround
25th October 2011, 04:01 PM
:)(:lolabove: if you read powderposts then the one above

Jim having had an allergy to Banana's since a kid or 5 till just recently I have no idea of such matters. Last sunday first time eating a decent amount of Banana with honey on pancakes 50 years since my problem started, could even walk past a green grocer without out waning to hurl.

Christos
25th October 2011, 07:34 PM
Jim

The price of Bananas and coming down. For me that's good news. :2tsup:

What were we talking about? The handle broke while hitting a banana, was that it?

What about watermelons that's my favourite fruit. :U

Nice handle. :q

munruben
25th October 2011, 07:59 PM
Nice work on the mallet, I have an old mallet that has lasted for over 20 years and I've only replaced the head twice and the handle 3 times. :):2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
25th October 2011, 08:14 PM
Jim

Nice lil tapper :2tsup: