PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000 Hare & Forbes rescue

wheelinround
25th October 2011, 03:52 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Thanks to Hare & Forbes for doing a repair to my Nova 3000 CMG flange fit motor which has the 19mm shaft not normal 5/8". The motor has had what sounded like a gritty build up in the bearing at the rear of the motor. My son helped remove and open up the case, in doing so we found that 2 problems due poor QC from CMG/Nova when they were built.

1 The top long retainer bolt (there are 3 in all) which hold the end caps on the main body of the motor had been damaged by the placement of two screws which hold the switch box on. These had been screwed down and bent the retainer bolt in two places when undoing it just even 1/4 a turn it snapped, the self taper screw tip acted like a cutter :~. No excessive force.

2 Removal of the back motor cap which houses the rotor and main shaft has 2 wires attached to a brass plate this had come adrift once again no force used it literally had fallen off the plastic retainer tabs inside the motor. This as I have been told may have been due to heat but looking at the small amount of plastic tabs remaining they should have been more secure.

I have had a couple of electrical tingles from the Nova but thought it was the remote switch set up I was using at the time. I had not had this since removing that switch set up but have used the switch elsewhere since.

I rang around Trend Timbers Adrian advised CMG a he already had tried Carbatec the warranty agent for another customer (Whats a Nova 3000):?

CMG at Seven Hills do sales but no longer do service, Chinton there helped out heaps also advised that the particular style of motor with the flange mount is no longer available :oo:
BUT the motor shaft size of 19mm is and they do have a flange mount to fit but would have to change one they have to suit. $600:o for a 1hp motor. Chinton advised I work through H&F.

A trip over to H&F and Harry soon along with the workshop crew saw my predicament Harry discussing a new motor just in case, the workshop boys went over with me what took place (the motor was back together minus the broken retainer bolt). They secured the brass tab and replaced the broken bolt. $80 :D We dropped the motor off yesterday picked it up this morning. Still to be mounted one of the counter sunk Hex bolts had to be drilled and easy out used to remove :doh: so have to get a replacement which will be done tomorrow.

I took steps to get a replacement motor from two places H&F and Jim Carroll the $800+ price tag for the VS motor he has had Sue a bit worried as she could see a further $800 would buy me a new Cougar:rolleyes::U look on my face.

Yes possibly a motor rewind company might have been able to help also but they are becoming rare.

My word of warning buying a 2nd hand lathe is make sure you can replace parts even if it means making adaptor plates etc. Who'd of thought finding a replacement motor for this would be such a drama or as expensive.

Ray

vk4
25th October 2011, 10:30 PM
Big difference between $80 & $800,. know which I would choose are there any other motors that would be able to be modified to fit????

You may have to look at this in the future:rolleyes:.

Give a mans toyshop(Rocky) a call as they handle Electric motors, for a possible replacement option.

Jeff

hughie
26th October 2011, 11:40 AM
Yes possibly a motor rewind company might have been able to help also but they are becoming rare.

Ray,
There quite a few still around, all pretty well are fully imersed in industrial rewinds. Domestic and single phase not a big part of the business. Generally speaking 1hp motors are not worth the cost of a rewind unless its an unusal or special type.

Google (http://www.google.com.au/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1260&bih=543&source=hp&q=motor+rewinds+sydney&pbx=1&oq=motor+rewinders&aq=2s&aqi=g-s1g1g-s2&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=3344l7766l0l10157l15l7l0l0l0l0l1296l4015l3-2.1.3.0.1l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=236efa1fb11a1d13)

wheelinround
26th October 2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks Hughie and Jeff

Picked up 4 new retainer bolts for the flange mount today not taking any risks.

CMG can assist as I said with replacing but is it cost effective, buying a newer style mount means making an adaptor plate.

The reason for the post is to make others aware the flange mount motor could be a problem due to age. It doesn't mean there is no fix.