PDA

View Full Version : Long Service Leave results

Willy Nelson
25th October 2011, 09:05 PM
Good Evening All
Took some long service leave whilst the kids were on school holidays. Got a solid 2 1/2 days turning completed. Got a heap of stuff done, here are some samples (in order of appearance):

Red Morrel Burl, carved
York Gum Burl turned
Massive York Gum Burl, carved
Wandoo Burl, carved
Jarrah Burl, turned, embellished and embonised
Jarrah burl, turned with a bead
Jarrah fruit bowl

All are finished with approximately 10 coats of Danish oil

Comments welcome
Sincerely
Willy

corbs
25th October 2011, 09:34 PM
Nice work Willy, I've been on leave for a bit over two weeks now and you have been more productive on the turning front than I have:rolleyes:

How did you do the ebonising?

Sawdust Maker
25th October 2011, 09:51 PM
very nice work that :2tsup:

I really like the jarrah embellished and ebonised :clap::clap:

sturina
25th October 2011, 09:57 PM
Fantastic and beautiful works of art. You managed todo a lot more than I did on my LSL

BobL
25th October 2011, 10:01 PM
Good Evening All
Took some long service leave whilst the kids were on school holidays.

Imagine how much you could have got done if you had taken it when the kids were not on school holidays :D

Seriously - good result :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
25th October 2011, 10:27 PM
Great work and your WA wood is fantastic

dai sensei
26th October 2011, 12:04 AM
Well done, got some good results there :cool:

dr4g0nfly
26th October 2011, 06:35 AM
Someone had some fun, lots of excellent work there - well done.

artme
26th October 2011, 07:05 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
26th October 2011, 09:17 AM
Some beautiful bits of wood presented very nicely indeed :2tsup::2tsup: Wish I had been as productive on the 2 weeks I just had off - whole lot went to house maintenance :C

Cliff Rogers
26th October 2011, 09:41 AM
Nice work. :2tsup:

Wood Nut
26th October 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Willy
I really like the work you have done. I,m retired and still can't get to my burls. I particularly like the turned, decorated and ebonised bowl, along with the beaded one. If only Jarrah was so plentiful on the east coast.
Cheers,
Paul

bench1holio
26th October 2011, 10:52 AM
beautiful work willy :2tsup: they all look great, i really like that york gum burl.

Ruddy
26th October 2011, 12:37 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:
Beautiful burls

smiife
26th October 2011, 07:21 PM
hi willy,
great work ,i really love the burl bowls
you have done them all proud mate:2tsup:
do you leave the danish oil to dry before apply
the next coat?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

cookie48
26th October 2011, 09:18 PM
Willy.
Looks like you got burling along on your LSL. Well done they all look very nice.
Cookie

Willy Nelson
27th October 2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry Corbs
Haven't had much time at the computer lately.
This is how I ebonise

Seal the timber you DO NOT want to stain. This is easy on the lathe, just slowly rotate the item and coat the raw timber. If you go too much, just trun away the sealed timber, now you should have a sealed area which is quite linear.

The ebonising solution is steel wool left in a jar of vinegar (mine is 3 years old!!!!!!! Some people make a frsh batch every time). Apply the solution with a rag and allow to soak into the timber. The timber, if it has a high tannin content (Jarrah) will immediately turn black.

Once dry, I seal, or just apply the Danish Oill. I think a black ring really contrasts well with the rich deep reds of Jarrah and draws the eye in.

Easy Peasy!

Nice work Willy, I've been on leave for a bit over two weeks now and you have been more productive on the turning front than I have:rolleyes:

How did you do the ebonising?

Willy Nelson
27th October 2011, 08:55 PM
Hello Smiife
Absolutely, the Danish oil gets 24 hours between coats and must be dry before the next coat. I make sure the weather is warm enough, or the wood fire is is hot enough.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

hi willy,
great work ,i really love the burl bowls
you have done them all proud mate:2tsup:
do you leave the danish oil to dry before apply
the next coat?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

corbs
27th October 2011, 09:53 PM
Seal the timber you DO NOT want to stain. This is easy on the lathe, just slowly rotate the item and coat the raw timber. If you go too much, just trun away the sealed timber, now you should have a sealed area which is quite linear.

Happy with everything else... what are you sealing with? I'm guessing a sanding sealer or shellac maybe? I have a jar of ebonsing fluid in the shed somewhere:rolleyes:

Christos
28th October 2011, 06:11 PM
Very nice work.

Willy Nelson
28th October 2011, 09:44 PM
Hello Corbs
Just the usual sanding sealing from Beckers acroma
Cheers
Willy

Happy with everything else... what are you sealing with? I'm guessing a sanding sealer or shellac maybe? I have a jar of ebonsing fluid in the shed somewhere:rolleyes: