PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Jacaranda

Bussoboy
28th October 2011, 01:00 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of turning some Jacaranda. The only problem is that it losses it white appearance and becomes a dull yellow colour if I apply any form of laquer finish. Has anyone got any suggestions how I can over come this?

Bussoboy

vk4
28th October 2011, 08:13 AM
Have you considered using a wax finish??

Lacquer finished contain solvents which react with the timber , it is very noticeable when used on Pine , which turns gold after a period.

Have you tried water base varnish / finish , I have used these on Pine and there was no discolouration 5 years on.

Bussoboy
28th October 2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks Vk4 - that makes sense. I'll give it a try,

Kind regards

Bussoboy

TTIT
28th October 2011, 02:50 PM
If I want to keep the light colour of timber like the almost white Norfolk Island Hibiscus I use, I just sand it to as fine a grit as the wood will respond to, then apply Ubeaut Traditional wax and buff it off. Some pieces I fist did this with about 8 years ago still have the same colour and lustre - works for me! :U

dai sensei
28th October 2011, 08:03 PM
Yep, Traditional Wax works well, also clear boot polish is another cheap alternative (Cindy Drozda put me onto it).

powderpost
29th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Have you considered using a wax finish??

Lacquer finished contain solvents which react with the timber , it is very noticeable when used on Pine , which turns gold after a period.

Have you tried water base varnish / finish , I have used these on Pine and there was no discolouration 5 years on.
Pine will go yellow/light brown with no finish at all. This effect is created by light, not by lacquer. All timber will darken with age. I have been successfully using lacquer, amongst other finishes, for a long time now.
Jim

Bussoboy
30th October 2011, 01:11 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I particularly like the idea of clear boot polish. I located some water based varnish in Bunnings which claims that it will not turn wood yellow. But it may be too thick to use in my spray gun, I think I'll try the cheaper alternative first.
Cheers

Bussoboy