PDA

View Full Version : A Few New Turnings

Little Festo
28th October 2011, 10:29 AM
A few new pieces that I've recently finished - all Hoop Pine and oiled to translucence.

1. This piece made from hoop Pine. I turned this just using a gouge. I had to work with the tool being unsupported when I got deeper into the piece when hollowing. I moved the tool rest in as far as possible and when I spun up the outer edge , being quite thin, flexed and clipped the banjo forming a lovley crack. After a bit of colourful language, aimed at my self, I finished the piece and let it sit on some dusty shelves fro a year or so. The knot cracked when it dried out and the rim developed an interesting ripple. I flet maybe I could do something with it so i carved out the crack and finished it.

Were my efforts worthwhile or do you think that it's "too far gone"???

Size: 360mm diameter approx 14".

Hoop Pine fluted translucent approx 320mm in diameter

3 carved rim translucent hoop pine, approx 360mm in diameter

4 Large bowl - a bit plain, approx 380mm in diameter

All comments welcome.

Peter

bench1holio
28th October 2011, 11:23 AM
theyre all great looking peices peter, i reckon the first one is a great save, and i love the plain simple curve of the last one:2tsup:

what did you use to carve and finish the fluted one?

hughie
28th October 2011, 12:06 PM
"too far gone" Nah, good save I would say :2tsup:

This is timely for me as I have several Norfolk Pine blanks I intend to turn up, dry and well spalted.

How thick did you turn the walls?

wheelinround
28th October 2011, 12:40 PM
Peter good save well worth the wait and effort

these are all beautiful works :2tsup:

Little Festo
28th October 2011, 02:25 PM
theyre all great looking peices peter, i reckon the first one is a great save, and i love the plain simple curve of the last one:2tsup:

what did you use to carve and finish the fluted one?

I used an arbortech woodcarving tool, the big one, I'm getting used to it, not as safe as the small one but a lot quicker, then the smaller one with a Carbrasive (brand) tungsten Carbide abrasive disk to level smooth it (equavilent to about 10 grit sandpaper), then lots of sanding. Final oiling is with Livios oil.

Peter

Little Festo
28th October 2011, 02:27 PM
"too far gone" Nah, good save I would say :2tsup:

This is timely for me as I have several Norfolk Pine blanks I intend to turn up, dry and well spalted.

How thick did you turn the walls?

The first one is the thinnest, approx 2mm. I still have to put on another coat or two of the finishing oil and it's a bit tricky, feels quite fragile.

Peter

TTIT
28th October 2011, 02:45 PM
I reckon number 1 was a good save and I'm sure somebody will enjoy owning it - just not to my taste as it is :shrug:
Number 3 however is gorgeous :2tsup::2tsup: Were you hiding 'variances' in the timber or were the notches planned??? :;
All lovely stuff as usual Peter :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
28th October 2011, 04:10 PM
G'day brother of mine,

The first one makes me think "G-string":)
They are all nice as usual especially No 3.
See you at Sea World?
Say hi to H for me

artme
28th October 2011, 07:35 PM
:oAll wood and all very bloody good!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I quite like #1 But I think #3 is a superb piece!!:):)

dai sensei
28th October 2011, 07:54 PM
Beautiful as usual Peter, I like them all :cool:

Little Festo
28th October 2011, 08:35 PM
I reckon number 1 was a good save and I'm sure somebody will enjoy owning it - just not to my taste as it is :shrug:
Number 3 however is gorgeous :2tsup::2tsup: Were you hiding 'variances' in the timber or were the notches planned??? :;
All lovely stuff as usual Peter :2tsup:

Yes they were planned, no faults. If they crack it's usually in the end-grain part of the bowl. I carved out the side grain as it tends to be less translucent.

Peter

Little Festo
28th October 2011, 08:37 PM
G'day brother of mine,

The first one makes me think "G-string":)
They are all nice as usual especially No 3.
See you at Sea World?
Say hi to H for me

Hello Jeff, how' s my twin going up there in Darwin. Really looking forward to seeing all the "Territory Boys". Are you sure you cannot fit one of those Gmelina logs in your luggage????:U:U:U

Peter

corbs
28th October 2011, 08:57 PM
love em' :2tsup:

Are any of these making it to Bungendore? I might have to go for a walk over to the gallery to see what's in there tomorrow:rolleyes:

dr4g0nfly
28th October 2011, 11:40 PM
I reckon the first 2 don't cut it as bowls, therefore they must be art-forms - so stick another zero on your price tag!

Wonderful looking pieces, very well done.

issatree
29th October 2011, 12:02 AM
Yes, I like them a lot.
Much in the same way that Ron Kent does from Hawaii, as he freezes his to dry them, & I think he turns them wet.
Maybe if you googled him, you may find his work.

Little Festo
29th October 2011, 05:03 AM
love em' :2tsup:

Are any of these making it to Bungendore? I might have to go for a walk over to the gallery to see what's in there tomorrow:rolleyes:

At the moment 2,3,&4 are in an exhibition in Brisbane, if they make it through that 2 & 4 will be going down to Bungendore.

Peter

Little Festo
29th October 2011, 05:07 AM
Yes, I like them a lot.
Much in the same way that Ron Kent does from Hawaii, as he freezes his to dry them, & I think he turns them wet.
Maybe if you googled him, you may find his work.

Yes I have seen his site, wish I could get his prices. I generally turn the pieces wet too. The oil I use tends to harden a bit more than his, I hope. I have heard that he has problems with his pieces weeping. When I was in Canberra I had a chat with Richard Raffern and he saw someof my translucents. He said mine were a lot thinner than Ron Kents.

Peter

Ed Reiss
29th October 2011, 11:38 AM
Applause!!!

Great work Peter :2tsup:

Gasman
30th October 2011, 06:30 AM
Four beauts there Peter, like them all, excellent stuff!
Steve