PDA

View Full Version : New Box for my Collet Chuck/Set

dai sensei
28th October 2011, 09:31 PM
I use this M2 Collet chuck for all sorts of things on the lathe, and the various collets are for both this chuck and my large collet chisel boring/turning handle. The set is metric, but there are also a few imperials I had from previously. I used to carry them around in a plastic shopping bag and got sick of them braking through.

The box is pretty rough :-, but does the job, made from some scrap Silky Oak. Each of the collets are held in with a rare earth magnet, the chuck and spanner also held in with the magnets, just more of them. The lid is held on with yet more magnets, and the base has magnets, so the box can sit easily on the lathe without falling off. I can also hold the box upside down without the lid and everything still stays in place. I scored 100 magnets cheap off Ebay so tend to use them everywhere :U

I engraved my name on the top and filled it with some glitter and CA, before finishing with Danish Oil to bring out the timber grain, then a coat of poly.

Cheers

RETIRED
28th October 2011, 10:41 PM
Bloody show off.:D

dr4g0nfly
28th October 2011, 11:42 PM
Nice little project.

But scrap 'Silky Oak' I'd like that much to turn something out of - we don't get it over here.

cookie48
29th October 2011, 04:19 PM
Smart idea. Very well done.

Tim the Timber Turner
29th October 2011, 07:38 PM
The latest must have woodturning accessory!!

dai sensei
29th October 2011, 08:08 PM
The latest must have woodturning accessory!!

:2tsup:

RETIRED
29th October 2011, 10:37 PM
The latest must have woodturning accessory!!Bigger bloody showoff.:p

Michael Spain
30th October 2011, 01:48 AM
Hi, very original and everything in place, the chuck system that you have not met him in Spain, I use the traditional type chuck Teknatool, congratulations on your work and thanks for showing, a greeting from Tenerife.:;

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2011, 07:30 PM
nice both of you :2tsup::2tsup:

but no place for the all thread to keep the M2 collet in the lathe

Tim the Timber Turner
30th October 2011, 08:31 PM
Bigger bloody showoff.:p

Didn't know you were the jealous type .:rolleyes:

Not much use to you anyway.:no:

They won't drive 30 ft telegraph poles.

Cheers

Tim:U