PDA

View Full Version : Question about tools

EdWood
17th January 2005, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I just got lathe after much waiting and am looking forward to using it. I've been reading many of the posts here, and noted that I should purchase a mask rather than just using safety glasses and possibly also get a respirator of some sort.

I want to use the lathe to make spindles for chairs, though I'm sure as I use it more and more I'll delve into other projects. I am looking for some advice on what turning tools to buy. I have a limited budget, so I would like to just get the type and sizes of tools I would need to make spindles and buy bowl and other carving tools at some other point.

Can anyone offer me any advice here?

Thanks!

-Ed

reeves
17th January 2005, 03:57 PM
Ed i started turning last year and so am a bit of abiginner but i did go through the purchase of various tools, all from Carbatec or a Carbatec dealer like woodcraft shope in Toowoomba.

The low cost chiniese HSS chisels, $100 are good value.
For spindles you will also need a steady, mine cost $55 and works well.

Sharpening chisels is a big issue and u will need a white wheel $26, a jig of some kind, mine cost 49 and is the standard carbatec angle sharpening jig for any 6 inch or above grinder.

Some optional jaws for yr chuck to support different shaped work, a nice strong live center and some general calipers for measuremnet will help you.

I also bought the uBeaut sanding tool, which has saved the kind of injuries i initialy sustained have my fingers too close to the turing chuck. Gets abetter finish too.

I am now planning purchase of another chuck so i cna change jaws quicker, a hollowing tool a a few chucnkier chisels, plus some better bowl jaws....a mandril,a drill chuck, whihc should make my work better and my bank account thinner.

So the gaining of tools and things does not look like ending at all.

I hope this helps.

Also useful is a local supply shop witha feindly and knowledgable person to help guide yr purchase sin a useful direction.

http://www.hinet.net.au/~mdarlow/

I also purchased 2 of Mike Darlows books, which are invaluable. Plus i have some Richard raffan books and i buy woodturner magazine whihc is great.

To the lathe -!

regards
john

RETIRED
17th January 2005, 04:07 PM
For spindle work you can get away with a 3/4" or 1" Skew, a 1/2" or 3/4" spindle gouge and a parting tool.

Unless it is a Woodfast generally the drive spur and live centre that comes with the lathe are useless. If the budget extends this far get a Stebbes 3/4" drive and a Woodfast live centre for the tailstock.

vsquizz
17th January 2005, 04:12 PM
Unless it is a Woodfast generally the drive spur and live centre that comes with the lathe are useless. If the budget extends this far get a Stebbes 3/4" drive and a Woodfast live centre for the tailstock.
So your not just here for your good looks ??

Cheers

PAH1
17th January 2005, 04:12 PM
I intially bought the same set of tools, very good to practice sharpening in while you get used to turning. Spindle you cen get away with just a spindle gouge and skew, however that would get a bit limiting after a very short period of time. And for the same sort of money that the two individual ones are you get the set (admitably from a less well recognised and lower quality manufacturer).

I just looked at your location, if CT stands for Conneticut(and it did last time I saw US map) we aint gonna be much use to you for specifics of what to go and get from where.

I just bought a respirator, I am a fairly large person and I could never get the smaller disposable masks to fit around my face properly, they help but you still find dust in your nostrils and fog on your glasses.

Anyway hope that helps

Termite
17th January 2005, 04:18 PM
I am a fairly large person and I could never get the smaller disposable masks to fit around my face properly,
Are you saying that you're a fathead? :D :D

PAH1
17th January 2005, 04:22 PM
Are you saying that you're a fathead? :D :D

No, merely significantly outside the design averages for just about everything. I have to have reading glasses simply because my eyes are so far apart that they get eye strain from doing close work, which in my profession is about all I do. My pet hate is low slung advertising signs in department stores, makes me feel like ripping the things down every time I get smacked in the forehead.

HappyHammer
17th January 2005, 04:24 PM
No, merely significantly outside the design averages for just about everything. I have to have reading glasses simply because my eyes are so far apart that they get eye strain from doing close work, which in my profession is about all I do. My pet hate is low slung advertising signs in department stores, makes me feel like ripping the things down every time I get smacked in the forehead.
Sounds more like a flathead..:D :D

HH.

Termite
17th January 2005, 04:24 PM
PAH1, I'm the opposite, normal body, legs like a duck, the steering wheel in my car is under my armpits just so I can reach the pedals. :D

EdWood
18th January 2005, 07:26 PM
hey guys,

thanks for all the tips! So maybe I will purchase one of the cheaper sets of tools (I have seen them online for about $100 U.S.). This is the set I was looking at before I posted here:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=230-002&LARGEVIEW=ON

This set has two different gouges and skews and the parting tool. I was nervous about buying "low quality" tools, but I guess for my skill level and budget I should worry about that later. Also, like you mentioned, it will be a good set to practice sharpening on, as I know that is a very important part in getting a good cut.
And yes, PAH1, I am from Connecticut. Kind of far from Australia. Do your lathes spin the opposite way from ours, just like the toilet water? Haha, just kidding, sorry couldn't resist.

I wear glasses too, and I was thinking the same thing about small masks and the lenses fogging. I'll have to look into respirators.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Hope to back on here soon, though my projects may be put on hold as I'm going back to school in a few weeks and don't think the lathe will be able to travel with me :(. At least I'll have it all ready to go when I get back, summer should be a productive time.

-Ed

MathewA
19th January 2005, 09:59 AM
By the sounds of your size I don't think too many people would argue with you if you did rip a few signs down:)

MathewA
19th January 2005, 10:05 AM
I've got glasses and use a respirator. I've used one for the last 25 years so my face is used to it. When I first put it on I'd get a heat rash. But after a week or so that all went away. I can wear it 8 hours a day without any real discomfort. I've found paper masks fog up my glasses and are more bulky around the nose than the respirator. If you put a few rows of tape at the top of the paper mask it will stop the fogging.

hey guys,

I wear glasses too, and I was thinking the same thing about small masks and the lenses fogging. I'll have to look into respirators.
-Ed

Darrell Feltmate
21st January 2005, 10:12 AM
For turning spindles, you should have a roughing gouge and spindle gouges, say 1/4" and 1/2", along with a parting tool. Personally I use a skew but it has a lot longer learning curve than the gouges. A typical beginner's set is usually a spindle turning set with all of those in it. Take a look at Busy Bee Tools. They have an eight piece set on sale for C$85.00 They are HSS and a nice set.
You will also need a sharpening set up. Most of us use a grinder with an 80 or so grit aluminum oxide wheel. Many prefer a white wheel with a very friable bond but any of the consumer stones have a friable enough bond in my opinion and they last longer than the white wheels.
Visit my web site www.aroundthewoods.com (http://www.aroundthewoods.com) and make a sharpening jig. It will cure a lot of anxiety and make the learning to turn a lot more fun. If you do not make one, I would advise buying one like the Wolverine from One Way.
Also, get a face mask and a breathing mask. I prefer one with chemical and dust cartridges.
Have fun with this. Remember, addictions are us: wood, tools, wood, tools...

____
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada