PDA

View Full Version : should have done this ages ago

hughie
12th November 2011, 11:18 AM
Have meaning to up grade method of measuring wall thickness. Nice bit of African Mahogany with two holes in it, not quite what I wanted

Cliff Rogers
12th November 2011, 11:20 AM
Got any superglue? :think:

tea lady
12th November 2011, 12:59 PM
A bit of lamination? :D

bench1holio
12th November 2011, 03:22 PM
looks great with the little hole to the top! :D

turnerted
12th November 2011, 04:28 PM
hughie
What a bummer, was looking great.
I've got one like that but I went through higher up and was able to turn the bottom into a bowl.
Ted

wheelinround
12th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Easy fix Hughie :2tsup:

Paulphot
12th November 2011, 08:59 PM
I think you are just about there, I wouldn't take it any further...lol

powderpost
12th November 2011, 09:57 PM
Bummer... :oo:
Jim

cookie48
12th November 2011, 10:22 PM
OH s&it. Had similat thing happen. Turned bottom into nice looking bl%%dy big glass coaster.

Mrs Blackie
12th November 2011, 10:41 PM
Ok well this is going to be my first opinion keeps fingers crossed. I did that to a few things as you can imagine lol, but I would now make another bottom for it or not but I would put designed holes all around it and use it as a battery operated lantern:D to be honest? I did it last week to a real nice round box I was making so I turned a lip to it and now I have a battery operated tea light in it:D unless you really want to super glue it?
Cheers!
Keep on keeping on!

dr4g0nfly
13th November 2011, 06:29 AM
It does not look any better from this side of the world I'm afraid.

Can you inset a piece of a different colour and make it part of the design, maybe a ring of segmented work.

Every accident is a design opportunity!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th November 2011, 09:57 AM
:think:

Turn another, identical one. Down to the same "oops."

Then join 'em together to make a set of earmuffs. They're even already pre-drilled for the head-band! :;

munruben
13th November 2011, 10:05 AM
Turn it up the other way with a sign on it "Please don't touch" no-one will notice. :)

Ed Reiss
13th November 2011, 12:59 PM
Sometimes it's all about heartbreak, Hughie ~~~ sigh :C

turnerted
14th November 2011, 03:46 PM
Hughie
It's catching. This was this mornings effort. Not progressed as far as your effort but still anoying.
Ted

wheelinround
14th November 2011, 04:26 PM
Ted that is a nice bit of timber what is it?? Pity about the thin wall.

:no: I am not going to make the 3rd one I am not going to make the 3rd one:p

Pat where are you ..............out in the shed dodging wood??:q

turnerted
14th November 2011, 04:53 PM
Ray
It's casurina . I just got a load of it . So far I have two vases succesfully roughed out and four bowls . I will post pics if I manage to dry them out without splitting .
Ted

wheelinround
14th November 2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Ted :2tsup:

Pat
15th November 2011, 04:24 AM
Pat where are you ..............out in the shed dodging wood??:q

Ray, unfortunately the call of the OT fairy was heard, so I have been at the salt mine more than is healthy. This weekend I am home for the 3 days and have a nice little bowl half done to finish off . . . Yellow Box Burl >450mm dia. Part of the loot from the 2010 Sydney show, that you most kindly acted as mobile delivery boy for:;
If I dont have an oops, I might even grab a camera and post it on here.

Hughie, story of my turning, oops, bugger, blast. Some you can save, some you take to wood club and go "This is not what to do":U

wheelinround
15th November 2011, 06:22 AM
Ray, unfortunately the call of the OT fairy was heard, so I have been at the salt mine more than is healthy. This weekend I am home for the 3 days and have a nice little bowl half done to finish off . . . Yellow Box Burl >450mm dia. Part of the loot from the 2010 Sydney show, that you most kindly acted as mobile delivery boy for:;
If I dont have an oops, I might even grab a camera and post it on here.

Hughie, story of my turning, oops, bugger, blast. Some you can save, some you take to wood club and go "This is not what to do":U Pat does this at least every week :q

Well with all the OT it gives you more $$$ for more tools and as Trend sale is on this weekend :p

Ozkaban
15th November 2011, 03:52 PM
What a bummer!

On the bright side, you now have easy access to accurately measure the wall thickness :;

Cheers,
Dave