PDA

View Full Version : Soft Jaws from UHMW Plastic

Dr_Dewey
18th January 2005, 09:47 AM
Have had a need for something that would grip finished or partly finished pieces without leaving dents in the wood. Last week at our turners meeting one of the fellows showed his home made #3 jaws for the Oneway Stronghold. I have made a version for the #1 set and will describe it in brief.

UHMW comes in many thicknesses, selected 1 5/8" which costs $27 a sq ft in Toronto, Canada, my piece was 16"x17" and totaled $40 with our local tax. It was from the offcuts so there was some savings.

The #1 jaws are based on a 2" square- so cut a strip 2" wide and then sliced that into 2" squares. It cut with ease, the "saw" dust was not a problem.

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=ysg6ik&outx=640&oq=0

Next place the metal jaw on the UHMW and trace the screw holes. Since the piece of UHMW was 43 mm thick, and the stronghold will only allow about 6mm of thread below the jaw (for clearance), choose M6 25 mm cap screws, which leaves 19 mm in the plastic for holding. This required a 24 mm hole 1/2" wide bored down where the screws go. Then countersink the holes after puting in a 1/4" pilot hole. Attach the blocks to the chuck, checking for clearance with the jaws opened wide. Note there is no stop pin to stop you going to far. You can add the stop pin later. Sorry for mixing units, its cold and I don't care.

http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ysg6im&outx=640&oq=0

Close up the jaws and mount it on lathe. I drilled a 1/4 " hole in the center, to releave the corners. Then open up the jaws and turn the sides round. A bowl gouge worked fine, as did a spindle gouge. The shavings were small curls like pasta. The feel of the turning was very soft but firm, it was a joy!

http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=ysg6ip&outx=640&oq=0

Then close it back up and then turn down the face, leaving a good amount of material to support the stock. I stopped about half way into the inner screw. There will be some raggy stuff that can be cut off with a knife.

It grips nicely. Total time maybe 45 mins. Wish I had this years ago.

http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ysg6in&outx=640&oq=0

#2 and #3 jaws are in the works. The base thickness is up to you. I tend to over engineer.

Note the dimensions are for the Oneway Stronghold, but the procedure is the same for other types of chucks, just check your model.

rsser
18th January 2005, 11:36 AM
Neat DD! Thanks for sharing this.

BTW Not a lot of Oneways downunder, but this forum has developed an international presence of late. And as you say, the principles would be the same for other makes.

Vicmarc now make soft jaws for their chucks too btw.

Dr_Dewey
18th January 2005, 11:47 AM
Thanx rsser: maybe this will give someone an idea to make their own on whatever they have.

I find that the add'ons from the original guys cost a lot. Oneway hasn't got there yet with soft pads, no doubt it'll cost more than a 24 of beer. The gyrls that run that place are very savy. the little foam rubber gaskets on the vacuum chucks - they stick well to start with and then fall off, another $20 to replace for 4!! i can make them from an arts & craft store part for $2 with my own glue. Oh don't get me started. and i need new wippers for the truck, and its going to be -20 C oh stop now.

RETIRED
18th January 2005, 04:23 PM
Thanx rsser: maybe this will give someone an idea to make their own on whatever they have.

I find that the add'ons from the original guys cost a lot. Oneway hasn't got there yet with soft pads, no doubt it'll cost more than a 24 of beer. The gyrls that run that place are very savy. the little foam rubber gaskets on the vacuum chucks - they stick well to start with and then fall off, another $20 to replace for 4!! i can make them from an arts & craft store part for $2 with my own glue. Oh don't get me started. and i need new wippers for the truck, and its going to be -20 C oh stop now.

A true woodturner, into pain. :D:D:D

rsser
18th January 2005, 06:17 PM
A true woodturner, into pain. :D:D:D
My take on a woodturner in pain is one who has ordered an exotic blank online only to find that the colour ain't anything like what was advertised, or that dry means 'dry' or that there's a flaw running right through the bl**dy piece ending at the edge of the planned bowl :mad:

But you win some and you lose some, and even the one's you lose are the occasion for free learning.

DD ... as a X-country skiier, -20 sounds good to me!! We're looking at 35 degrees C tomorrow and about seven months before I can get those skis out again :(

Dr_Dewey
21st January 2005, 10:11 AM
Rsser and the rest of ya: never tried x-country skiing, the missus wants me to take it up but i resist. However, i have taken up "power walking" with her and a group of fast walkers. At first all i saw were the butts of the others, now some watch mine, justice. now you'll think - ah wheelchairs, not so, real walkers. its not the best to walk in slush and slippy conditions, on clear roads the legs get used to it. but in ice conditions more muscles become involved and its training time all over. very messy.

We had an Alexander (she) with us for 2 years in the office, but she has caved and moved back to ya. We miss her.

i hear that -45 - ya can drop a steal bar and it'll snap, never seen that yet. best i've seen is maybe -30.

cheers

Darrell Feltmate
21st January 2005, 10:21 AM
DD

Nice job. I like to make specialty jaws for the One Way. You might be interested in larger jaws as well. Take a look at http://aroundthewoods.com/jaws.shtml for a set of bottom turning jaws.

____
Darrell

Dr_Dewey
21st January 2005, 10:27 AM
i've only got a 10" swing and the mini jumbo jaws the gyrls sell has done me fine.

How's it going eh!

Darrell Feltmate
21st January 2005, 02:17 PM
DD

I have a 15" swing on one lathe but I use the big jaws on the bowl lathe anyway.
We are digging out for the 2nd day this week. There must three feet of snow in places. How come I miss this stuff in July?

_____
Darrell