PDA

View Full Version : My New Jacaranda Stash, help needed with age

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi All, here is my new stash of jacaranda, was wondering if anyone knows how to tell how old it might be and what I have to look for to at least estimate how old it is. Sorry if I am on the wrong side of the forum for this info.:)

Cheers!

wheelinround
17th November 2011, 12:46 PM
Not old at all its "NEW" :p

Nice score :2tsup:
Large platters out of that ..........bit big for your lathe though :rolleyes: it will fit mine nicely :D

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 12:51 PM
:roll: How did I know you would say that? might put one in the back of my car for you for tomorrow what you say? oh and re doing my workshop making it bigger making room for more fun. Having electrical work done yesterday and today.

wheelinround
17th November 2011, 12:58 PM
:roll: How did I know you would say that? might put one in the back of my car for you for tomorrow what you say? oh and re doing my workshop making it bigger making room for more fun. Having electrical work done yesterday and today.

Ashyan thanks for the offer but I have enough ATM ....................:doh: I know I am going to hate myself for that.:;

Now that sounds good more shed more spark more tools.

Bring ya money with ya!!!

rustynail
17th November 2011, 12:59 PM
Electric plane a strip across the cut end and count the annual rings.

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 01:09 PM
Electric plane a strip across the cut end and count the annual rings.

Thank you Rustynail, very much appreciated, I just went out did it and counted 29 though not sure if the bark is counted in the total but then theres the bark after the 29th ring.
Cheers:2tsup:

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 01:16 PM
Oh! I forgot to show off my new toys:D, now I know the difference with timing and quality of cuts I love my new HSS set:;

turnerted
17th November 2011, 05:17 PM
Mrs Blackie
As Rustnail said count the anular rings .
Unfortunatly these are not going to be much good for big bowls because they have been cut the wrong way . ie across the grain rather than along the grain , So the biggest bowl you can get will only have a diameter equal to the thickness on the side of each log .I presume you salvaged these from a tree being cut down by an arborist .
What you have to do is catch them in the act and tell them to cut the timber in lengths equal to the diameter .
Only a couple of days ago ,I came upon a similar pile on the nature near me . There would have been a stack about 4 metres long by 500mm high .
That's the breaks .
Ted

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 05:27 PM
Yes your right turnerted I noticed that too about their size and the way they have been cut unfortunately these were given to me by a friend that came across them piled up somewhere someone had cut down, but I could make do with smaller items I could make. Though the ones you seen would have been great too:U, Thank you for your reply
Cheers!
Ayshen

vk4
17th November 2011, 06:17 PM
Mrs B,

be aware that you will get some splitting from the side , nice score though.
keep out of the weather and maybe seal 2 sides and store on their side,.

I have a set of these and they are not bad not quiet as good as P&N but not bad.
my preference is HAMLET Tools , unfortunately the budget won't allow any tools for a while.

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 06:23 PM
Yes my only issue is the money side of things, or I would have the best of everything by now, but we must stretch our legs as far as our quilt will cover or we get left out in the cold...I think its an issue most of us have, but for now I am happy because they are much better than I had before the others were like toys.

Cheers!:)

wheelinround
17th November 2011, 06:27 PM
Yep those are good I also have a set slowly buying what I require beyond those or making my own or others whom have made some for me. You'll have to come see some strange ones I have.

As for the comments re the way the jacarandah has been cut its is usually right BUT I have turned platter that way and a vessel no splitting, checks yet.

Ok so if you were to clean these up after seasoning for a while cut them in a way the can be sort of segmented back together and then make big bowls.:;

Mrs Blackie
17th November 2011, 06:49 PM
By the time I learn to segment Ray, there wont be any jacs left lollll, there is so much in my head I want to do and get all excited and getting all ideas in my head, I never knew woodturning could be so rewarding I love it so much I dont want to go in the house:)
oh and when I come to check out your tools you better hide your stash:q I'm bringing a trailer:laughing1:
Cheers!
Ayshen

vk4
17th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Mrs B,

Be careful acquiring tooling can become ADDICTIVE:yes:, I know I have the problem with fishing gear and boats:ohyaaa:

Jeff

wheelinround
18th November 2011, 06:16 PM
To late she is hooked caught her buying another tool today at Trend a midi Parting tool.

Nice to finally meet you Ayshen notice I said nothing about your moe :;

Mrs Blackie
18th November 2011, 08:21 PM
To late she is hooked caught her buying another tool today at Trend a midi Parting tool.

Nice to finally meet you Ayshen notice I said nothing about your moe :;

Omgggg!!! you couldn't wait to go home to do this could you???? laughing hard here, yes it was nice to meet you and Sue too Ray, leave my moe out of it:rofl:will be there tomorrow too will bring my camera. I gave the parting tool to Bill to sharpen for me.
I was honestly having withdrawals to keep buying today, Bill had to stop me hahaha!

wheelinround
18th November 2011, 08:29 PM
Omgggg!!! you couldn't wait to go home to do this could you???? laughing hard here, yes it was nice to meet you and Sue too Ray, leave my moe out of it:rofl:will be there tomorrow too will bring my camera. I gave the parting tool to Bill to sharpen for me.
I was honestly having withdrawals to keep buying today, Bill had to stop me hahaha!

Ah I have to do it from home....:rolleyes: maybe should have asked Adrian to use the office PC :p

Now question is should I post the photo Sue took :U

Mrs Blackie
18th November 2011, 08:36 PM
:D as long as no one sees the moe, was a great day I really thought I couldnt do it Ive never had to do that before but as soon as I stood behind the lathe I was fine, all that fear was gone and the people watching didn't bother me at all was fantastic I have the toothpick holder gave me ideas, that captive ring is my next thing I want to make a chisel for it:)
Cheers!

wheelinround
18th November 2011, 08:42 PM
Here you go Ayshen turning :2tsup::2tsup:

Mrs Blackie
18th November 2011, 08:51 PM
You notice something? the lathe is taller than me? :D

wheelinround
18th November 2011, 09:27 PM
Will fix that tomorrow for you :p

vk4
18th November 2011, 10:36 PM
HI Mrs B
Me thinks you need a platform to gain some altitude , I didn't realize that you're Knee high to a grasshopper:D:D:D Only JOKING.

I have the opposite trouble 180cm I ahd to rasie my lathe 125mm to get it to a comfortable height to work on..

haveagoodweekend, and happyturning

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
19th November 2011, 05:14 PM
I know right vk4? I'm 5'1 lol, but today was another good day at Trend demonstrated again :roll: oh and Ray had nothing to do with it so he says:q made toothpick holders will post pics later on and today I was lucky I had a stand that was adjustable for my height.

Cheers!:2tsup:
Ayshen

wheelinround
19th November 2011, 05:37 PM
:laughing1:You believe that you'll believe anything :harhar:

Yep,another great day at Trend

vk4
19th November 2011, 07:03 PM
good to see all enjoyed the show, sorry I could not attend, but too far away.

Jeff

Mrs Blackie
19th November 2011, 08:21 PM
Ray and Sue at the Trend open day today, Sue spinning alpaca fleece and Ray doing what he does best.:2tsup:

wheelinround
20th November 2011, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't say that was at our best but enjoying what we do.

Even Alison Richard Clark's wife from Trend spent time talking to Sue about spinning as they own Alpaca's but doesn't spin as yet.

No I didn't make that wheel.

Ashyen thanks for the pics :2tsup:

Mrs Blackie
20th November 2011, 08:28 PM
Your welcome Ray!

Mrs Blackie
20th November 2011, 08:30 PM
good to see all enjoyed the show, sorry I could not attend, but too far away.

Jeff

Jeff? maybe one day or the next one you might be able to join us it was a great two days, busy but great.
Cheers Mate!

Sawdust Maker
20th November 2011, 09:48 PM
You said that was a piccy of Ray doing what he does best ...

funny - I couldn't see a big spoon/paddle :p

PS - I'm pleased you had fun Mrs B

wheelinround
20th November 2011, 10:24 PM
You said that was a piccy of Ray doing what he does best ...

funny - I couldn't see a big spoon/paddle :p

PS - I'm pleased you had fun Mrs B

Gave that up after seeing your increasing waste line Nick

Paul39
21st November 2011, 01:05 PM
Mrs. B,

It is a joy to read about your slide into the turning addiction.

Split one of the Jacaranda pieces into 4 quarters and make a vase with the center of the log the bottom and the bark side the top. The grain is wonderful that way.

I would also make a bowl or tray out of one of the thinner rounds, just to see how it does. If you are concerned about it flying apart, run 2 -3 wraps of tape around the outside edge.

If the J. logs begin to split badly , drive a wedge into the biggest split. Splitting in half USUALLY stops further splitting.

I do mostly bowls, and when I get fresh cut timber I cut into blocks slightly longer than the diameter and split them in half. I stack them bark side up on pallets in the shade. Some split some don't.

I heat with wood, so I have piles all around the house from fresh to 10 years old. some spalted, some rotted, some split some not. I have white birch, red oak, white oak, yellow pine, white pine, cedar hedge, maple, wild cherry, locust, ash, poplar, and FOG (found on ground). Also some oak, redwood, cedar, and yellow pine timber salvaged from demolished houses.

Locally, when there is storm damage or fallen trees, the city or power company cuts the tree into manageable pieces and leaves them along side the road. The first person along collects as much as the vehicle will hold.

Once you have put out the word that you want timber, people will let you know where there is a stash.

I used to do home repair and maintenance. Last summer an old client called and asked if I wanted an ash tree that had fallen in his yard. It was about 20 feet long and 20 inches at the butt and 15 at the top where the power company had removed it from the wires. I cut off blocks and took a load home, the second trip he gives me a check or $100 and thanks me for removing the log.

Mrs Blackie
21st November 2011, 11:44 PM
Paul thank you so much for your reply and information very much appreciated, this is what I love about this forum YOU ALL ROCK! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers!
Ayshen

Kwors
24th November 2011, 03:50 AM
Mrs Blackie
Unfortunatly these are not going to be much good for big bowls because they have been cut the wrong way . ie across the grain rather than along the grain

Hi.
I have turned plenty of end-grain bowls and they have worked out very well with the grain running up the bowl all the way round the piece.
Just thought I'd stick my 2p's worth in.:U

Mrs Blackie
24th November 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to try end grain turning as well, I mean what can go wrong? and if so its all trial and error right?
Cheers!:U

Paul39
25th November 2011, 02:01 AM
Mrs. B.

Your mushroom is end grain, any tall vase is end grain.

If it is thin, put a wrap of tape around the rim so you don't get a mouth full of timber.

If using a chuck, I would make a spigot and grab that rather than making a recess and expanding the jaws into the recess.