PDA

View Full Version : Very interested in turning

Simplicity
17th November 2011, 09:44 PM
I have been thinking about buying a lathe, as I would love to get in to wood turning ,have seen such great stuff here and in books and think I would take to it like a duck to water.
But one big question I have what is the main difference between a lathe for wood and one for metal, as having one in the shed to turn small metal items on would be most welcome as well.But I can't really justifying buying two laths at first.
Can u turn wood successfully on a metal working lathe? Am i right in assuming it has something do with speed range and size of piece being able to turn.
Any guidance would be much appreciate.

vk4
17th November 2011, 11:07 PM
I would suggest that you contact a local WOODCRAFTERS CLUB, before you buy any tools / machines.

Go to a club and try some wood turning and see what is involved , before you commit to buying the Lathe,.

Metal Lathes and wood lathes are totally different , in their cutting applications, Metal being harder it is not possible to work it on a WOOD LATHE, tooling and application is also totally different.

While it is possible to work timber on a Metal Lathe, you cannot do so effectively,nor can you effectively work metal on a wood lathe. HORSES FOR COURSES.

My advise is try before you buy.

If you need both , then buy both as you can afford them.

Jeff
vk4

tea lady
18th November 2011, 12:00 AM
Yes! As Vk4 says, try at a club first. Actually I tried at a forum get together first about 3 1/2 years ago! Then I joined the club in Ferntree gully that I had been driving past all the time and not ever getting around to stopping at! We have a forum get together soon on the 27th I think it is........ Can't find the thread about it now. :doh: Its there somewhere!

What area are you in? :)

RETIRED
18th November 2011, 07:20 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/chucks-other-grippy-things-142284/

Simplicity
18th November 2011, 07:57 AM
Ok thanks for the feed back
I've done a little turning at pops shed
So not complete green
But still green enough
I thought the problem of the metal working cutting tools could be a problem.
If your trying to turn wood on metal lathe ie cutting tools in the way
I'm in the Yarra valley so if I have time will have to pop in to the club tea lady mention I think
Thanks again

tea lady
18th November 2011, 08:26 AM
Men's Sheds: Shed Locator (http://www.mensheds.com.au/index.php?id=locator)

Jim Carroll
18th November 2011, 09:08 AM
Knox & District woodworkers
45 Glenfern Road FERNTREE GULLY VICTORIA 3156