PDA

View Full Version : Glaser Website

Pat
22nd November 2011, 04:30 AM
Just to add to the drain on Jeff's wallet :;

Glaser (http://www.glaserhitec.com/shop/)

hughie
22nd November 2011, 08:28 AM
.........and probably mine as well. :)

I wonder what sort of group buy deal we could swing?

jefferson
22nd November 2011, 10:27 AM
Geez, Pat, you're making it hard!

I'd need a few referees before embarking on any purchases with Glaser too.

cookie48
22nd November 2011, 01:00 PM
Nice looking tools, but allso nice price. Rekon a full set would be very nice but I can not afford another morgage.

wheelinround
22nd November 2011, 02:34 PM
Pat more temptation which for you :p means more OT for me I'll wait till you have them and decide.

I will say that its a pity we do not have any such situation here in Australia the again we do have P&N just need the pop-ultaion of turners.

Swino
22nd November 2011, 03:11 PM
Well actually we do have a home grown product that is comparible to the Glaser and Thompson tools.

Vicmarc is introducing a new line of interchanable handles and chisels. I have been using them for the past couple of months and my first impressions are that they are of a high quality as you would expect from Vicmarc.

At present there are only bowl gouges available. The chisels have a U-shape as opposed to the more common V-shape. I have found that they tend to clog less. I have them found brilliant for hogging out large burls.

I will attach the flyer that I was sent for my local Woodturning Club. The handles are available now and the Chisels will be available in quantity within 1-2 weeks from Vicmarc Stockists (I was lucky enough to be able to buy one of the first off the line :D)

I am hoping with local support that Vicmarc will add to their range of chisels.

wheelinround
22nd November 2011, 03:19 PM
Swino thanks for that shame no pricing as yet. I like the shaped handles :2tsup:

jefferson
22nd November 2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe Jim Carroll can bring some of the new Vicmarc bowl gouges down to 's place on Sunday for a test run (if available)?

Pat
22nd November 2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe Jim Carroll can bring some of the new Vicmarc bowl gouges down to 's place on Sunday for a test run (if available)?

Or they'd be ready for Kiewa . . . :roll:

Jim Carroll
22nd November 2011, 05:51 PM

You are one step ahead of me Jeff.

We have stock of them all and will be showing off on Sunday.
I am taking them there to get a more varied response to see how they really are compared to other tools.

They feel ok but it will be good to see what others think.

NeilS
22nd November 2011, 07:03 PM
Good to see Vicmarc releasing a V10 PM gouge range.

It's about time we had a Vanadium-PM gouge range 'produced' here in Australia, Glaser released his CPM15V gouges three decades ago! The strong A$ has probably something to do with the timing.

Pity there is not a 'V' flute in the range.

Glaser and Thompson buy their V10 and V15 steel from the same supplier (Crucible Industries). Any variable is in how they mill and heat treat their tools. Some swear by Glaser, but I note that a number of production turners prefer Thompson based on value for money. There is a noticeable price difference. Vicmarc will need to compete on price and preferred flute profiles, that is unless they know something about improved cryogenic treatment that nobody else has been able to work out over the last 30 years.

Glaser is foreshadowing the release of more advanced steel in their tools in the near future, so any competitors will have to keep on their toes.

Pat
22nd November 2011, 07:39 PM
Jim, when will the Vics be on the website. Do you know if there will be a review by a pro turner or even a proficient weekend turner? Just curious to see how they shape up against the Thompsons and Glaser. I like the U profile, it works for my style of turning, very rough and ready, good at hogging out bulk timbers.

Jim Carroll
22nd November 2011, 08:25 PM
Pat I think there will be enough opinions this weekend to get a bit of an idea on how they compare.

Will get them on the web site as soon as I can get some pics together.

Pricing is favourable with others on the market.

I have not used any in anger as yet as I was waiting for this weekend so everyone can see what they get straight out of the box,

As with all gouges they are shaped to the traditional U shape no swept back wings like fingernail etc so will need to be touched up before starting

hughie
24th November 2011, 09:29 AM
[

Good to see Vicmarc releasing a V10 PM gouge range.

It's about time we had a Vanadium-PM gouge range 'produced' here in Australia, Glaser released his CPM15V gouges three decades ago! The strong A$ has probably something to do with the timing.

With the consolidation of steel suppliers in this country now its very hard to buy a range tool steels that once were available to us. :~ Let a lone the new fancy types.