PDA

View Full Version : Which chuck?

corbs
23rd November 2011, 09:29 PM
I guess the outcome of this thread is already decided but thought I would ask the question anyway. I have just picked up a new lathe with greater capacity and am in the market for a bigger chuck. I have a VM90 and a cheaper chinese equivalent but am probably going up add a VM120 to my arsenal. The question is this... are there other chucks on the market with similar capabilities that I should look at also. I know the teknatool ones used to have a good reputation but the last few years of reviews haven't been good for them so interested to hear if quality has improved recently on that front too.

Over to the learned people that man the keyboards... what would you get?

Corbs

Big Shed
23rd November 2011, 09:34 PM
I have the VM120 and a Teknatool/Nova G3, if I had bought the VM120 first I would not have bought the G3 but a VM90. No comparison in quality and ease of operation.

dai sensei
23rd November 2011, 09:46 PM
I have some of these (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-GEN-3-c30/)

mkypenturner
23rd November 2011, 10:00 PM
stay with the vicmarc's you wont have a problem

wheelinround
24th November 2011, 09:05 AM
Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_19) has a series of sizes I have the mid size. Damn just noticed the smaller and largest N/A :~

hughie
24th November 2011, 09:22 AM
Corbs these days everybody is making chucks. Chinese I would stay away from, like you I have one and wont own another. :)

Any reputable brand will do, it really gets down to horses for courses and your budget. Most of mine are NZ made Teknatool 125mm dia SN2, given some of the comments on the Chinses made Teknatool chucks you might what to see one first hand before shelling out you hard earned $$$.

That leaves Woodfast, Vicmarc, Stubby or Omega and probably Gary Pyes chucks all of which have favourable comments on.

If you have a Vicmarc I would roll on with the same make if only for conformity and ease of after sales back up etc if required.

Try and get around a few turners in your area and see what they are using and get some hands on time.

Jim Carroll
24th November 2011, 01:45 PM
Vicmarc are the best choice by far.

They have a large range of accessories to compliment the chuck, besides nova no others do that without having to muck around with different fittings.

One thing to be aware of the Vm90/100 chucks and accessories are not compatible with the VM120/140 so you may double up.

Paul39
24th November 2011, 02:23 PM
I recently went through the same dilemma. I asked a professional demonstrating at a show who had Oneway and Vicmarc on and by the lathe. He thought V the best. with O second.

I bought Canadian made Oneway because I could better afford that, and I have a smaller Oneway chuck, tailstock centers, and grinding aids. I like the quality.

If I had more crazy money I would buy Vicmarc.

See this thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/oneway-stronghold-vs-nova-titan-vs-139662/

NeilS
24th November 2011, 04:21 PM
There are pros and cons for both SNs and VMs. Having a swag of both, which I've thrown many tons of wood at, I don't have any complaints about either.

If you have VM already, stick with them.

My impression is that Vicmarc are still improving and expanding on their range of chucks and jaws, while Teknatool have been fluffing around for a number of years now and not always getting it quite right.

corbs
24th November 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the input team... At the moment I'm swaying towards the VM120 as indicated in the original post but maybe get a GPW 110 chuck if the big VM bowl jaws fit on it for finishing the base of my bowls.

Neil,
On the GPW ones, how big are you comfortable going on them? I would like to be spinning on average 400mm bowls but be able to comfortably handle 500+ if I feel like it.

Thanks for the input thus far team :2tsup:

Corbs

mkypenturner
24th November 2011, 09:51 PM
hey corbs if you want to save a heap of money on a second chuck check this out instead of bowl jaws its a longworth chuck that you just grip in standard jaws CWS Store - Longworth Chuck | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-longworth-chuck)
might be worth a look

dai sensei
24th November 2011, 09:56 PM
Neil,
On the GPW ones, how big are you comfortable going on them? I would like to be spinning on average 400mm bowls but be able to comfortably handle 500+ if I feel like it. ..

I've only turned up to 380 dia on the chuck, max over my bed, but it was 600 long :wink:. I did use tailstock and then centre steady though. I wouldn't hesitate using it on some thing bigger dia, but would depend on length. Not much difference to VM120 at club, capacity wise. I bought a set deal, and got a great deal, when it was a lot cheaper :wink:

The only thing I don't like about it is the chuck adjustment T-bar, I much prefer the hex VM system

rsser
26th November 2011, 02:53 PM
+1 to the GPW Gen 3 110mm providing you use VM 90/100 jaws with it. They'll need to be drilled out from std 5mm to new 6mm from memory. But that's a minute's work and the jaws are still fine back on the VM chuck.

Yes, the sliding T-bar provided with the GPW is a pain; I agree with Neil. I just took a spare T-handled hex key and ground the end square so there's only two keys magnet-mounted on the headstock.

I use that chuck with 74mm VM100 Shark jaws and it's one of the two chucks that gets most use in the shed. That kit will expand to 114mm in a bowl/platter recess or 95mm tenon clamping. Holding power is very good.

The other is a NZ-made T/tool Titan with Titan Powergrips. That's for bigger faceplate work and matches the 130mm T/tool faceplate ring when needed. I find faceplate rings to be a quicker option for the first mounting in general.

I wouldn't buy another T/tool chuck given the bad press they've had about QC. I don't like their dovetail jaws cos of the rounded over edges. The SN2 has significantly less jaw slide travel than the VM100 which limits your workpiece mounting and design options. OK, things may have changed since I bought mine. That said, the big plus with them has always been the extent of interchangeability of jaws between chucks which you don't get with the VM100 and VM120.

HTH.

Willy Nelson
28th November 2011, 09:15 AM
Hello Corbs
As you know, I am a big fan of the Vicmarc VM 120, which is my main chuck. I would highly recommend the Vicmarc as a first choice. However, I chuck I haven't seen mentioned so far is Vermec. Enzo (brother of Vic) makes them, they are compatible with Vicmarcs, and just as good quality IMHO.
Good luck
Willy
Jarrahland

rsser
28th November 2011, 10:01 AM
The Vermec chucks are no longer listed on Enzo's website but a while ago I was told they're still being made.

He used to make 2 sizes from memory, one of which would take both VM and T/tool jaws.

corbs
28th November 2011, 06:00 PM
The Vermec was on my research list but couldn't find any, only jaws that were compatible with the Vicmarc.

Sawdust Maker
30th November 2011, 09:40 PM
The last time I contacted Enzo he said it would be put up shortly

I was after the bigger version and especially liked the idea that it would accept bothe the Vicmarc and Teknatool jaws

It wouldn't hurt to contact him to see where he's at.