PDA

View Full Version : What Paint for Pergola??

foaley77
20th January 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi

I'm about to put up a pergola and was wondering whats better between dulux weathershield and wattyl solarguard-they are about the same price?

thanks

vsquizz
20th January 2005, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure which one is best, both are good manufacturer's. But why not be Really Original and use a magnificent colour like "Mission Brown":rolleyes: :D

Cheers

ozwinner
20th January 2005, 08:33 PM
What Paint for Pergola
Why, pergola paint of course!!
Nuk nuk nuk.......

Al :D

ernknot
20th January 2005, 08:42 PM
Go for the Solaguard

Gumby
20th January 2005, 09:22 PM
My paint guy down the road reckons Solar guard. Although I have the whole house and pergola done in Dulux weathershield and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've tried cheap paint once, never again.

bitingmidge
20th January 2005, 11:20 PM
Don't forget to use good old oil-based (pink) primer on every bit of timber that isn't going to be seen. That is: on the back of wall plates and on the faces of every joint.

Those are the places water will sit and are your "weakest link".

As for the other stuff.... see the above posts!!

Cheers,

P

soundman
23rd January 2005, 12:59 AM
Consider this.
A friend of mines father was a painter and painted his fair share of pergolas. Many times acrilic paint was specified & that was what was used.
After some time he found thet he was comming back & painting replacement pergolas 5 to 10 years later.
He noted that they were almost all the ones that had been painted with acrilic paint.
Enterprising painter then sets up pergola repair & instalation business approaching clients he had painted with acrilic paint about 5 yeras ago. :D

His recomendation
( as the midge says )prime your joints
Paint with oil based paint.

cheers

scooter
24th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Gday foaley, & welcome aboard.

Both paints are supposed to be pretty good, so probably see what deal you can get best. Second midges comment re using oil based primer, prime & paint prior to erecting so you get every bit.

One important advantage of water based exteriors over oil based is that w/b are supposed to remain a little flexible, whereas I think oil based go hard, and potentially crack; which could be an issue if you use oregon or another non durable timber where the integrity of the paint coating is vital to the life of the structure.

Suggest using a 3" wide conventional paint roller, the ducks guts for this job. Don't bother with the dinky little platic trim rollers, no good for this.

Good luck mate.......cheers..........Sean, who is always primed before erecting :eek:

Ivor
25th January 2005, 01:56 PM
I've just finished a pergola and my wife wanted it finished in Aussie Clear so you could see the wood. I was sceptical at first but it looks really good. My pergola is made out of a local hardwood and is not treated.

Instead of painting it maybe you could just oil it.

Cheers

Termite
25th January 2005, 02:21 PM
Instead of painting it maybe you could just oil it.
Be sure to put a grease nipple at each joint. :D

Rod1951
26th January 2005, 07:29 PM
either of these products are of good quality reagarding colour coverage and longevity.Discolouration in the short term is usually caused by soot and other environmental fine debri falling onto the painted surface and becoming stuck by rain water. Cleaning each 12 months with a pressure cleaner is effective. Note that these coating are said to last a miniumu of 10 years by their respective manufacturers.

An effective alternative to solid colour paint is Sikkens cetol hls which gave us an attractive opaque finish over treated pine (it now looks almost exactly like western red cedar).Cetol is about 2-3 times the pricebut can also be used on decking.

erlyrisa
3rd February 2005, 12:23 AM
ABSOLUTELY and utterly right! - you can always tell which house hasn't got any thing but the ACrylic on it!
PINK PRIMER and when asking for it add OIL BASED, so you dont end up with white undercoat with pink tint in it (believe me its happened on more than one occasion!)