PDA

View Full Version : bowl with a check(crack)

vk4
27th November 2011, 09:01 PM
I have started turning a bowl, the timber is GUM< but what variety ????

The bowl has 2 issues , 1 is a large check, and the other was a knot which broke out when I was turning the Rim.

I think I will just put some superglue on the check and I have put a fill-in piece where the Knot broke out but this requires a little more work.

Jeff
vk4

wheelinround
27th November 2011, 09:53 PM
Fill the crack with epoxy coloured with coffee grounds or some black pigment. If you can find the knot epoxy it back on. Return etc :2tsup:

Looks good:2tsup:

Edit Jeff sorry tired didn't read that you had already replaced the knot

dr4g0nfly
28th November 2011, 08:17 AM
A shame about that check, was there no sign of it before you started?

tea lady
28th November 2011, 09:15 AM
I reckon the check is too big unfortunately! I wouldn't want to spin it!:C Will probably fly apart! Start again on another bit! :C Sorry!

rsser
28th November 2011, 09:42 AM
Agree, unless you can get some CA/woodust or epoxy well into the crack, pref. from both sides. That means repeat applications while hollowing so CA will be quicker. But is it worth the effort?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2011, 12:47 PM
If I was adamant I wanted to keep on trying to turn this, I'd run a wire wrap around it, just under the rim to hold it together. Then duct tape around the outside, removing/replacing small widths of tape to suit the section you're currently working on.

Good luck whatever you choose to do! (I likeses challenges. :;)

vk4
1st December 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi All,

Well I continued with this piece, and left the bowl a bit shallower than I wanted to , but did this for safety.

Here are a couple of PIC's .

Jeff

cookie48
1st December 2011, 08:23 PM
Nufin wrong with that. You have given it some nice features to what would have been a very plain bowl. Well done.

wheelinround
1st December 2011, 08:33 PM
Jeff looks good after all that effort. :2tsup: Just remember its a thin line between UFO flying through the air and gouge heading for chuck jaws :o

artme
1st December 2011, 08:47 PM
Looks great!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just hope the stresses in the timber don't caue problems later on.:no:

vk4
1st December 2011, 09:45 PM
Artme,

It should be ok, the timber is about 20years old, and as hard as hades.
I had to resharpen the tools every 3-4 minuets.

Jeff

dr4g0nfly
2nd December 2011, 12:05 AM
Nice recovery.

robo hippy
2nd December 2011, 04:45 AM
Looking at the depth of the crack, and how it seems to go all the way through, I would have made boxes out of it, and NEVER mounted it for bowl turning. Risk of it exploding are way to high to risk it when there is so much good wood out there. The bowl does look nice though.

robo hippy

munruben
2nd December 2011, 07:34 AM
You got away with it Jeff and it looks pretty good but the risk involved in turning a piece like that is not really worth it. Considering the problem with this particular piece of timber, you did a good job on it.Well done and pleased to see you escaped unscathed. :2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
2nd December 2011, 12:24 PM
Artme,

It should be ok, the timber is about 20years old, and as hard as hades.
I had to resharpen the tools every 3-4 minuets.

Jeff

It can't have been that hard. You didn't have to sharpen after every second pass with the gouge! :D.