PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

callum94
1st December 2011, 07:43 PM
Hey guys I just brought a woodfast lathe but when ever I connect it to PowerPoint it trips the safety switch in the switchboard... The lead it self is a 250v 10 amp plug .... And i have ensured all doors are shut on the lathe cabinet so they don't trip the safety that is installed to the variable speed unit
.....any ideas ?

vk4
1st December 2011, 08:15 PM
I think that there is a short to earth in the machine, the built-in cut-out switches would not trip your house earth leakage switch.

take it back to the retailer, and get them to check it, ASAP.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE IT

Jeff

Avery
1st December 2011, 08:37 PM
VK4 has got it right.!

Unplug it. Don't use it. Call an electrician .

RETIRED
1st December 2011, 09:10 PM
Hey guys I just brought a woodfast lathe but when ever I connect it to PowerPoint it trips the safety switch in the switchboard... The lead it self is a 250v 10 amp plug .... And i have ensured all doors are shut on the lathe cabinet so they don't trip the safety that is installed to the variable speed unit
.....any ideas ?At the Working with Wood shows some variable speed lathes trip the earth leakage boxes.

Contact an electrician and he should be able to fix it.

It is not the machine but the household wiring on the safety switch.

callum94
1st December 2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah all good , I have my boss coming around in the morning ( master electrician certified) he said the same thing vk :) thanks for the help guys :)

Tim the Timber Turner
3rd December 2011, 01:33 PM
's right again

Talk to your sparky about upgrading your electricals.

Most times when installing a lathe with variable speed the earth leakage needs upgrading.

The electronic speed controllers all leak a small amount to earth.

Earth leakage is cumulative and if you have your lathe on the same earth leakage switch as your house you may get a small amount of leakage from your fridge and other appliances. Add on the shed and it can all add up to a load big enough to trip the switch.

The best option is a separate line, sub board and safety switch in the shed.

Expensive?? yes it can be.

Cheers

Tim:)