PDA

View Full Version : Timber prices

Dinki Di
6th December 2011, 07:56 PM
Hello to everyone I’m new to woodturning and from what I have seen I have heaps to learn I just need a little bit of help in the pricing of wood and general woodturning supplies what one should pay for wood and is there a rule of thumb to go by.

Some of the prices I have seen seem to be over the top.

The timbers I’m interested in are Huon Pine , Red and white cedar , Hairy oak , large banksia nuts, Camper Loural , Silk oak, Black wattle Queensland Maple etc from pen blank size to salt and pepper mils 200mm- 450mm high Any help will be greatly appreciated and may be who one can buy from Many thanks to every one Gaetano

Paul39
7th December 2011, 06:26 AM
People PAY for wood?

Ask to look in the skip behind wood working / cabinet shops.

Pallets behind businesses.

FOG wood, found on ground.

If you see tree cutters working, stop and ask for a piece or two.

Join a turning workshop / club.

Old broken heavy furniture in junk stores.

Tools can be made. If you do not yet have a grinder, do some reading here and buy one.

Do lots of reading and a search in this forum. Many have gone before you.

Have fun.

Christos
7th December 2011, 07:55 AM
I am also new to wood turning, not necessary new to wood working. I found that research and keeping an eye out for wood is one of the ways of getting some pieces. May not exactly be the type of wood you want at the time but keep them aside.

With tools so far not much but as time passes more will come home with me. Now for particular shops and outlets I am still researching, as I have been researching for bench grinder. I have narrowed it down to 8 inch wheel but not sure if I will go normal speed 3000rpm or slower speed 1400 rpm.

Also welcome to the forum.

vk4
7th December 2011, 09:25 PM
No1 JOIN A CLUB.

Tools buy from a wood turning supplier, there are several in the area , 1 in the GAP, ! in Clontarf,

Timber! who buys timber? , there is a company in NORTHGATE LAZZARIDES TIMBER SUPPLIES. They can supply all the exotic timbers, and some tooling if needed.

Jeff

Paul39
8th December 2011, 05:55 AM
I have been researching for bench grinder. I have narrowed it down to 8 inch wheel but not sure if I will go normal speed 3000rpm or slower speed 1400 rpm.

My preference is the slower speed as you are less likely to burn or blue (anneal) carbon steel tools, losing the hardness in the process.

It takes me less that 2 seconds to refresh the edge of my 1 3/4" wide X 3/8" thick high speed steel scraper. Motor here running at 60 cycles and 1725 rpm.

A softer stone is less likely to burn the edge.

hughie
8th December 2011, 08:31 AM
[]My preference is the slower speed as you are less likely to burn or blue (anneal) carbon steel tools, losing the hardness in the process.

I have two grinders both run at 1440 at 50cycles, to date I have had no need to go higher for pretty much the reasons you have outlined.