PDA

View Full Version : Corian bowl

Sturdee
10th December 2011, 02:38 PM
Having made a few pendants and pens using offcuts of scrounged corian I decide to make a small bowl of corian.

I used five disks of 12mm corian each 150mm square. I cut a progressive larger circle disk out of the middle first, for use as pendants and less hollowing, and then glued them together using superglue.

Turned the outside first, then the inside and finished with wet and dry to a fine sheen.

The bowl is surprisingly heavy, weighing 678 grams. The first photo is from the side and the second shows the inside.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Mr Brush
10th December 2011, 03:43 PM
Very good idea, and nicely done :2tsup:

I know the Corian has more resin than minerals in it (compared to most other "reconstituted stone" benchtop materials), but what does it turn like?

Any tips for new players?

Cheers

Sturdee
10th December 2011, 04:02 PM
Any tips for new players?

Cheers

Corian can be cut, drilled and routed the same as timber but for turning very sharp scrapers is the best. Resharpen frequently.

Frequent breaks between turning helps to keep the corian cool as it gets quite warm. Wear gloves to avoid burning your hands as the shavings are hot and sharp.

Laminating corian together using superglue is fine, sanding with 220 first helps, but epoxy (araldyte) does not work.

When finished turning it it still looks rather dull but when polishing it with wet and dry the sheen starts to come up. I start at 600 wet and dry and finish up with the Micro Mesh pads , then a final hand polish using their cream at which stage it has a real glossy finish.

Btw plain solid colours are easier to turn then their speckled stuff but they are harder to obtain.

Peter.

Mr Brush
10th December 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Peter - I hadn't thought about the stuff getting hot, or that the shavings are basically slivers of epoxy....:oo:

Most kitchens I've seen done in Corian seem to use the solid white colour; I might be able to get some offcuts from tame kichen installers, but other colours would be few and far between.

It certainly comes up with a nice finish :2tsup:

Grumpy John
10th December 2011, 05:51 PM
Peter, would it be suitable for making a mortar and pestle for grinding spices? I'm wondering if the superglue would stand up to the pounding.

BTW nice bowl :2tsup:.

wheelinround
10th December 2011, 06:48 PM
Peter, would it be suitable for making a mortar and pestle for grinding spices? I'm wondering if the superglue would stand up to the pounding.

John CA may not stand up to the acids and juices.

wheelinround
10th December 2011, 06:49 PM
Peter well done dust is major worry with Corian tho.

Sturdee
10th December 2011, 07:29 PM

John,

Don't know it if would stand up to heavy pounding, maybe the reconstituted stone bench top offcuts, like caeserstone, would be better.

I also think that you would have to use their own special glue which is a kind of corian. That's how they join the benchtops so there are no seams.

It's very expensive. I asked and decide superglue was a better alternative.

Peter.

Sturdee
10th December 2011, 07:34 PM
Peter well done dust is major worry with Corian tho.

Ray, cutting doesn't produce fine dust just chips and streamers of corian.

When sanding it is wet sanding so it becomes a slurry. I also have the room air filter on whenever I'm turning as well as a dust extractor and use a dust mask when sanding.

Peter.

artme
11th December 2011, 12:59 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Puts me in mind of the old blue and white striped milk jugs.:)

turnerted
11th December 2011, 04:03 PM
This looks good . I have been looking for corion but none has come my way yet.
Captn Eddie Castelin has some videos on turning this stuff.

Ted

wheelinround
11th December 2011, 09:53 PM
This looks good . I have been looking for corion but none has come my way yet.
Captn Eddie Castelin has some videos on turning this stuff.

Ted

Ted how big are you after have a few small off cuts. 3x3" I think

turnerted
12th December 2011, 04:22 PM
Ray
I was just looking for a bit to make a pen out of to see what it was like.
Ted

wheelinround
12th December 2011, 04:30 PM
Ray
I was just looking for a bit to make a pen out of to see what it was like.
Ted

Have speckled white and grey or black silver white oh will only be enough thickness for slimline pens.

I wouldn't mind a bit of this (http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0086-5002005/warehousing-and-pallet-racking/1-x-crate-10-per-crate-of-table-tops-white-corion-405-x-345mm-x-32mm-de)though :U a few pens bowls and platters out of this lot.

Ed Reiss
15th December 2011, 12:23 PM
Nice bowl, Peter :2tsup:

Hey guys...here's another use for corian blanks.
Used to make these for shows...sold like hot-cakes, especially before Father's Day.