PDA

View Full Version : Medical Supplies & Woodworking

Scott
12th December 2011, 09:28 PM
Barry_White proposed a novel idea in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/storin-pen-bushes-144762/) for storing your pen bushes, using pee specimen jars. Then Wheelinround suggested (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/storin-pen-bushes-144762/#post1412058) using blood vials would be a good idea. Being gainfully employed in a reputable medical institution (nurse) I thought these suggestions a sterling idea and investigated some possibilities.

If you look at the first attached image I checked out the blood vial as a potential storage container for pen bushes. Unfortunately this is a no go. The i.d. of the tube is 10.5mm and too small for regular bushes, except for maybe the slimlines. I did, however, get my hands on a poo sample container and thought this a good idea for bushes and storing fluids (glues etc), especially with the little scoop attached to the lid.

But my biggest find was some medical wipes. These are lint free and super for applying CA finishes to pens and applying ubeaut's fine finishes to turned products. Minimal lines and no fine threads attached to your work. I did a bit of google on where to get these (apart from 'loaning' them from work) and found they cost about $13 for a box of 100. Not sure if they are cost efficient.

Not sure where you could buy the pooper scoopers or the blood vials. Maybe try out your local pathology places to buy them?

If you can think of a good idea for using some of these products, please let me know. Might chuck a couple on the mail for you if you come up with something novel.

Cheers!

p.s. all items are unused, I repeat, unused!

wheelinround
13th December 2011, 08:12 AM
Scott I have vials (mate is ex ambo) 15mm ideal for pen bushes but will be used as a vase insert instead.:2tsup: As I have also done with the smaller vials.:;

Scott
13th December 2011, 08:45 AM
The vase inserts are great idea, never thought of that, thank you.

The size of the vials have shrunk lately because they've recognised the difficulty in obtaining blood from those who are difficult to bleed. We did have those larger ones, but no more.

Sturdee
13th December 2011, 12:58 PM
We did have those larger ones, but no more.

When they take blood from me for my regular visit to the Men's health clinic they normally take 4 of the larger vials and 5 of the thinner vials to do all the tests. So you must still have them somewhere or are they all reserved for me. :D

Peter.

ticklingmedusa
13th December 2011, 02:09 PM
You can use the 30cc clear plastic graduated cups for a precision disposable epoxy measuring container.

Before I found the proper method of disposal
I used premeasured saline syringes still in sterile packaging (without needle)
to irrigate deep cuts and remove some of the grime before proper first aid.
Never needed one but also considered using them as an emergency eye wash .

turnerted
13th December 2011, 04:29 PM
I use the urine containers for storing different types of wood dust for filling cracks .
My wife is a retired GP and had a stash of them and a load of needles and syringes which are usefull for measuring small volumes .
Ted