PDA

View Full Version : Crepe Myrtle for turning?

corbs
13th December 2011, 08:11 PM
Evening all... was approached at work today by someone who may be removing what sounds like a significant Crepe Myrtle and asked if I was interested in it if still available. I said yes but I'm interested to hear what others think of the wood. I have a few spalted pen blanks out of it which are very nice but not sure if these are the exceptions to the rule on the wood:rolleyes:

Corbs

wood hacker
13th December 2011, 08:15 PM
Never turned any myself but from all accounts a very nice timber for turning.

Paulphot
13th December 2011, 08:28 PM
Hey Corbs,

I only have a few pen blanks, probably from you, but had I known about it years ago, I would have found a way to level my grandmothers crepe myrtle and had it drying in the shed. I think it would be alright to turn, just haven't seen it in very big sections.

artme
13th December 2011, 08:47 PM
It is good to turn Corbs, at least from my limited expeience with it and what others have to say.

All I had were a few smaller section pieces that were fairly bland grain wise.

I would love to get some larger section pieces from arou where those nobbly bits are often found on the trunk.

Noctoadal
14th December 2011, 02:52 AM
I might be coming into some of this stuff shortly myself. I reckon I'll likely have a whack of it left over that I'll have no use for if you're keen Artme (I see you're in Brissy too). I don't turn wood myself so much of this stuff is of no use to me. Downside is they're fresh cut so you might need to put them aside for 12 months or so. What sort of sizes would be you be looking for? I gather it's hard to get big bits because it's sparse and 'shrubby'. It'll be various between 30 to 120, 500 to 1700 long (though I'm after the longer bits myself). Would rather see it used than gather moisture and rot over the course of a few decades.

Shall I let you know if I get it?

thumb trimmer
14th December 2011, 09:38 PM
I've got a few pieces 'drying' in my wood stack ... however they've all split pretty badly ... I'm just hoping to get something out out of what's left.

so you'll need to seal them REALLY well ... or dry them VERY slowly (in my limited experience)

Toymaker Len
14th December 2011, 10:17 PM
I've used a fair bit of it, lost more than half because it splits so badly.

Noctoadal
14th December 2011, 10:25 PM
Jeez, thanks for saying so. Might be an inside the house job..

corbs
15th December 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info team... I haven't heard anything back and tomorrow's my last day at work before taking a bit of leave so doubt I'm going to hear any more about it but fingers crossed:cool: