PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

Grunt
25th January 2005, 08:48 AM

Termite
25th January 2005, 08:53 AM
I tend to waffle on a bit and I do spout a lot of crepe so I voted for pancakes. :D

vsquizz
25th January 2005, 08:59 AM
Grunt, you Tosser, have you flipped?:D

Cheers

JackoH
25th January 2005, 09:00 AM
Don't like any of 'em much. So not voting.

simon c
25th January 2005, 09:30 AM
To be slightly serious, walking around little Parisian streets and stopping at a roadside stall for crepes is one of the best things this world can offer.

simon c
25th January 2005, 09:33 AM
Crepes in Paris are up there with:

a slice of Pizza sitting on the steps of a church in Rome
a pie at the footy
char-grilled calamari on a beach in Greece
a ploughman's lunch and a pint in an English pub

HappyHammer
25th January 2005, 10:01 AM
To be slightly serious, walking around little Parisian streets and stopping at a roadside stall for crepes is one of the best things this world can offer.
Sounds a bit poofy to me. :D

simon c
25th January 2005, 10:06 AM
Sounds a bit poofy to me. :D

And tough men eat jellied eels and walk around wearing pearly suits?

beejay1
25th January 2005, 10:07 AM
simon c. what a big old fashioned romantic you are. I have a mental image of you doing the singin' in the rain routine as well. am i close.

beejay1

simon c
25th January 2005, 10:15 AM
simon c. what a big old fashioned romantic you are. I have a mental image of you doing the singin' in the rain routine as well. am i close.

beejay1

Maybe a bit, there's often a reason that classic things are classic. They're the sort of things that bring back memories and can make you feel that you are there.

Just thinking about a ploughman's and a pint and I'm back on the South Coast of England in a pub. I can imagine wiping the tomato sauce from a pizza out the the corner of my mouth and leaning forward quickly so it doesn't drip down my shirt.

I think the atmosphere makes the meal. They say Guinness tastes better in Ireland - I'm not sure it really <I>tastes</I> better, but it just <I>seems</I> better when you're in a Dublin pub.

HappyHammer
25th January 2005, 10:19 AM
And tough men eat jellied eels and walk around wearing pearly suits?
Yes. :p :D Only the toughest can stomach jellied eels and you'd have to be able to handle yourself if you're gonna walk around in a suit covered in pearl buttons.

HH.

beejay1
25th January 2005, 10:27 AM
Know what you mean simonc. I get a bit choked too when i think of one some of my favourites, monkey brains in Chang Rai, Drunken prawns in Tokyo, Snake in bejing. AHHH the memories. you cant beat great cuisine can ya.beejay1

HappyHammer
25th January 2005, 10:38 AM
What about greasy kebab after the pub on a Friday night or a dodgy hotdog from a stall at the football.

HH.

simon c
25th January 2005, 10:41 AM
What about greasy kebab after the pub on a Friday night or a dodgy hotdog from a stall at the football.

HH.

I like my memories of food to last a lifetime, not be condensed into a small room on the next morning ;)

Termite
25th January 2005, 10:43 AM
I thought those litle roadside things were called "Pissoirs" and I didn't know you could have a crepe in them. ;)

HappyHammer
25th January 2005, 10:51 AM
I like my memories of food to last a lifetime, not be condensed into a small room on the next morning ;)
Yet you eat pies at the footy.:confused:

AlexS
25th January 2005, 01:08 PM
Know what you mean simonc. I get a bit choked too when i think of one some of my favourites, monkey brains in Chang Rai, Drunken prawns in Tokyo, Snake in bejing. AHHH the memories. you cant beat great cuisine can ya.beejay1

...flying fox in Bougainville,...

silentC
25th January 2005, 01:42 PM
Fondue in Interlaken, surrounded by 3 coach loads of Japanese tourists who arrived just after sunset and will be leaving at 6:00am in the morning. :D

Termite
25th January 2005, 02:01 PM
Balut in the Phillipines, dont ask unless you've got a strong stomach. ;) :D

silentC
25th January 2005, 02:08 PM
Come on, let's have it. I'm sure my boggling mind can come up with something far worse than the truth :eek: Anyone with a delicate consitution, look the other way ;)

Termite
25th January 2005, 02:11 PM
Come on, let's have it. I'm sure my boggling mind can come up with something far worse than the truth :eek: Anyone with a delicate consitution, look the other way ;)
Fertilised duck egg, incubated for 10 -11 days and then boiled. You eat half egg half duckling. :eek: Took me about 6 months to try my first one and even then I had to be p1ssed. :D

silentC
25th January 2005, 02:15 PM
We used to get them ocassionally from the chooks. Never ate one though :eek:

bitingmidge
25th January 2005, 02:15 PM
Whole hatchlings - eaten cold, cooked just enough to resemble road kill- Wuxi

Beche de Mer Sashimi - Tanagashima

Fugu - Tatashena

But my very favourite, a misplaced cuisine in China, Peking Duck (complete with Pancakes) - Shanghai!!

P :rolleyes:

Termite
25th January 2005, 02:18 PM
I'll be fugud before I'll ever eat fugu. That stuff kills people every year despite the expert preparation. :eek:

bitingmidge
25th January 2005, 02:22 PM
I'll be fugud before I'll ever eat fugu. That stuff kills people every year despite the expert preparation. :eek:

My hosts assured me that:

1) I wouldn't get sick. I'd simply die.
2) If I died the chef would lose his license and his family would not be happy.

I didn't die, but it probably explains a few things......

P

Termite
25th January 2005, 02:31 PM
I didn't die, but it probably explains a few things......
Could do .... Could do... :D

silentC
25th January 2005, 03:20 PM
Remember that episode of The Simpsons where Homer orders Fugu at a Japanese restaurant? The head chef has to leave for an, err, appointment and he leaves the apprentice in charge, not suspecting someone will order Fugu. The apprentice gets out the cookbook and there's a picture of the fish with areas marked out with dotted lines and skull and crossbones. He points to each area and says "Poison.... poison.... poison... tasty fish!" It's about the size of his thumb. Probably not far from the truth. I wouldn't eat the stuff.

vsquizz
25th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Fertilised duck egg, incubated for 10 -11 days and then boiled. You eat half egg half duckling. :eek: Took me about 6 months to try my first one and even then I had to be p1ssed. :D
Termite, Deep Fried Grasshoppers and Roaches. Nobody told us we weren't supposed to eat the whole hopper:eek: .

Curried Iguana aint bad when theres bugger all else.;)

But I prefer real Aussie Tucker, red belly black..tastes...nothing like chicken:D

Cheers

Grunt
25th January 2005, 10:47 PM
If you want to eat some really interesting critters, go to Vietnam. Scorpions, rats, dogs, monkey, frog (whole), lizards. Basically anything that moves is fair game.